HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
1652471851508.png

Reactions: AZ Caps Fan

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Sorry for the negativity, but I'm just wondering in which period we see the first sign of quit in the Caps?

Second? Third?
I thought you were gonna ask when we would see the first sign of life in the Caps. As in the RS, when they'd fall behind by a few goals and then appear to try harder to compete.

Reactions: AZ Caps Fan

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
The Florida Panthers have not won a playoff series since June 1 1996.
. . . which means, given the Caps' proclivity to allowing rookies their first NHL goals and AHL-calibre vets their first NHL goals in multiple seasons, tonight is the night the Panthers' woeful streak comes to an end.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The gambler's fallacy, also known as the Monte Carlo fallacy or the fallacy of the maturity of chances, is the incorrect belief that, if a particular event occurs more frequently than normal during the past, it is less likely to happen in the future (or vice versa), when it has otherwise been established that the probability of such events does not depend on what has happened in the past. Such events, having the quality of historical independence, are referred to as statistically independent. The fallacy is commonly associated with gambling, where it may be believed, for example, that the next dice roll is more than usually likely to be six because there have recently been fewer than the usual number of sixes.

Reactions: RedRocking

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm more worried about Leah Hextall or Ray Ferraro calling this game than I am the Caps losing. I can't get Joe B and Locker :(.

Reactions: RedRocking

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm more worried about Leah Hextall or Ray Ferraro calling this game than I am the Caps losing. I can't get Joe B and Locker :(.

No one is getting Joe B and Locker tonight. Joe B is ill, and John Walton will be doing PBP with Craig Laughlin tonight.

Reactions: Hivemind

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Last time Florida had a 3-2 series lead was in 2011-12 vs the Devils. They lost Game 6 3-2 in OT. And they lost Game 7 3-2 in 2 OT. So yeah
And funny enough the last time Florida won a series they actually won game 6 at home and game 7 on the road to advance. The exact position we are in! We did it in 2018 vs Tampa. Canes did it to us in 2019. Happens plenty

Keep the faith!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
The gambler's fallacy, also known as the Monte Carlo fallacy or the fallacy of the maturity of chances, is the incorrect belief that, if a particular event occurs more frequently than normal during the past, it is less likely to happen in the future (or vice versa), when it has otherwise been established that the probability of such events does not depend on what has happened in the past. Such events, having the quality of historical independence, are referred to as statistically independent. The fallacy is commonly associated with gambling, where it may be believed, for example, that the next dice roll is more than usually likely to be six because there have recently been fewer than the usual number of sixes.
Interesting thought - takes me back to my game theory class in law school.

Don’t you think the Law of Large Numbers hews a little closer to something like hockey, though? Especially as someone who takes a lot of stock in the expected stats?

Plus we’re not talking about inanimate objects like cards or dice. The psychological element of past events certainly affects future events in sports.

And it’s been theorized that it’s not just the players, but the fans - I remember with the Red Sox, there was a lot of talk about the fans jinxing/adding more stress to players who hadn’t lived through all the heartbreak. So….positive vibes only.

ANYWAYS, go team! Do the thing with the thing into the net.

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Interesting thought - takes me back to my game theory class in law school.

Don’t you think the Law of Large Numbers hews a little closer to something like hockey, though? Especially as someone who takes a lot of stock in the expected stats?

Plus we’re not talking about inanimate objects like cards or dice. The psychological element of past events certainly affects future events in sports.

And it’s been theorized that it’s not just the players, but the fans - I remember with the Red Sox, there was a lot of talk about the fans jinxing/adding more stress to players who hadn’t lived through all the heartbreak. So….positive vibes only.

ANYWAYS, go team! Do the thing with the thing into the net.

For sure it doesn’t apply to hockey completely. But I don’t think @NoVaCapsFan should worry about attending because he’s had poor luck in the past, for instance! But he’s also not due for a win either!

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Not really. They came out and dominated last game. And they fell apart in the 2nd half of the game. So regardless of how they look early, it's hard to say how it's going to end.
I propose they employ the reverse strategy! Come out flat, give up some early goals, and then dominate with a come from behind win.

I can definitely see this working out well :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad