Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Regarding yesterday's game. I was more impressed/encouraged with what Gabe did during the shifts right before his two goals. 1st goal, great puck protection leading to getting the puck back to the point, then heavy on his stick with a hard move right to the net. 2nd goal, great back check takeaway that springs his linemates for a two on one then a great read on the regroup to dash up the middle for the break.

Oh and we can all worry about his measurables amongst other things, but nobody can question his compete level and willingness to go to the dirty areas and battle. He's shown both of those in spades over this season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cutter will probably get it which is a joke, he’s so overhyped so they give it to him. Not even the best player on his own team.

I mean 34 goals in 36 games is very impressive. I don’t get the hate for this kid.

He didn’t want to sign with the Flyers because they brushed him off last year which was probably the best for his development since he went back to college.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I mean 34 goals in 36 games is very impressive. I don’t get the hate for this kid.

He didn’t want to sign with the Flyers because they brushed him off last year which was probably the best for his development since he went back to college.
He’s a great prospect. He’s also a “rival” to our best prospect so he’s GOING to catch some shade. Hahaha.
Oh, and Phuck Philly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

He’s a great prospect but I see him being very overrated like he’s the best thing since sliced bread. I just don’t see the tool box to be an elite player in the NHL.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Gauthier and Smith will be hitting the NHL next year, so it will be Perreault’s team next year.
Gauthier is definitely moving on, but no one knows what Smith is going to do. BC will also have the potential 2025 first overall pick in James Hagens coming to campus. It likely won't be Perrault's team anymore than it was Gauthier's team this year (which it wasn't); BC has too much talent for it to be a one-man show.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Interesting thought. Do certain players simply not need the ahl step? Like, maybe players characterized as top six players. I don’t have an opinion. Just an interesting thought. Maybe the ahl is where you send your middle and bottom six guys. But not the pure skill guys. I think the answer is, it’s different for every prospect. But worth thinking about.

i think it's fairly uncommon, but there are types i think simply fit better in the nhl. the ahl is more chaotic than the nhl, with less structure and less clean puck movement. it's a lot more chasing the puck, board battles, broken play style of hockey which don't really fit gabe's game. for most players, the physicality and pace are great introductions to pro hockey and they learn a lot about where they need to improve transitioning from juniors/ncaa to the pro game. in a guy like gabe's case though his iq is already at the high end of nhl players, and while there will be an adjustment in terms of acclimating to the nhl pace, it won't take long or be an issue. a lot of players turn pro having leaned extensively on one or two elite qualities whether it's speed, a shot, size and strength etc to dominate at lower levels where there were few or no other players on the ice capable of matching that. that almost inevitably changes at the pro level, and they need learn how they need to play when they don't have a differential ability. they have to round out their game to be effective for the team in a way that best positions them to be put in situations where the things they are best at are at an advantage, which is what they'll need to capitalize at the pro level. gabe's game isn't at all reliant on any dominant physical ability, it's his ability to think the game ahead of everyone else regardless of the situation.

like look at his first goal yesterday. he perfectly times his play on the puck and leverage to take the puck in the corner and move it low to high, then immediately heads to the net and makes a play on the puck around the blue with a guy on his back with the hands to pull it from behind the line and tuck it under the goalie at the post as quickly as he did. then you have the second goal more in the highlight real realm you associate with an offensive dynamo like perrault where he perfectly times his burst to split the d, provide a line, and stay onsides to walk in alone and flash the mitts. what it boils down to for me is his game is unconstrained by any reliance on any physical ability that overwhelms opponents, he's simply intellectually ahead of others and that isn't simply in his ability to read the game but how he recognizes situationally what to do to give himself the advantage with his technical abilities ie using leverage/what line to take into a puck battle/whether he should use his hands to challenge 1 on 1 or manipulate a defender into a position that gives him the passing lane he wants etc.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Someone on the prospect board said that 32 out if 32 GMs would take Will Smith over Gabe. Lol

I have no doubt it would more than 50% since he was drafted far ahead but 100% give me a break.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Dude, I was ready to throw shit at my TV if they passed on him…
I was chanting "Sale! Sale!" when Seattle was on the clock. Then "Pick a D! Pick a D!" when MIN was on the clock. They went a little off the board, and I was hootin' and hollerin'. "PHI just needs to take a D..." over and over really quietly with my hands over my mouth and my wife wondering what's wrong with me.

It was probably premature to celebrate the Bonk pick, since we still needed to NOT try and galaxy brain the pick. But I was like "Yes! Bonk!" My wife turns to me like "Cool, is he good?" With a huge grin, I shout, "NO!"

I'm relieved we just made the easy pick. Gabe could've gone 14th, and people would've said it was a good pick and that he was a top 10 mock pick a few weeks prior.

This kid has had a really good season with a little adversity in the mix. Can't wait to see what he does next season with a more prominent role on a less stacked team. Wolf Pack in 25-26?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This kid has had a really good season with a little adversity in the mix. Can't wait to see what he does next season with a more prominent role on a less stacked team. Wolf Pack in 25-26?
Stepan spent 2 years in college then went right into the NHL. I think Gabe is a better player.

Reactions: bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Someone on the prospect board said that 32 out if 32 GMs would take Will Smith over Gabe. Lol

I have no doubt it would more than 50% since he was drafted far ahead but 100% give me a break.

He was a 4OA less than a year ago so that’s probably close to accurate.

I bet opinions will change when they both get to the show. I foresee a ton of struggles for Smith

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Stepan spent 2 years in college then went right into the NHL. I think Gabe is a better player.
Stepan was much better defensively at the same age, and played a different role though.

Perreault is looking at a team with the deepest selection of options at LW in the league

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Stepan was much better defensively at the same age, and played a different role though.

Perreault is looking at a team with the deepest selection of options at LW in the league
There's no reason he can't play RW.

Reactions: bhamill

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why do you see Smith struggling more than Gabe?
Most people’s thoughts around here I think that he’s got a bit too much “juniors” to his game basically. At least how I interpret it.
The things he excels at in these lower levels are things he might struggle to translate at least right away because they’re great tools but maybe not so far above other NHL players that he’ll translate them right away

Reactions: rangersfansince08

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
1. He's going to a losing organization to play for a godawful coach
2. (More importantly) His Hockey IQ is levels below that of Perreault. He makes a lot of just *dumb* plays, "hero plays". When they work you go wild, but a lot of the time they don't, and its just a free turnover.
1. True
2. Yea but doesn't his skating make up for it to some degree?

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Will Smith should go back to BC for another year, but he is f***ing good. This ragging on his play, or that he will have a harder time in pro, while talking up Perreault just feels like weird "little brother" syndrome. And for no reason. Our guy wasn't as highly touted. So what? He's doing well, but his numbers are for sure inflated by being on an absolute powerhouse team and playing with 2 great players. They all need more time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Will Smith should go back to BC for another year, but he is f***ing good. This ragging on his play, or that he will have a harder time in pro, while talking up Perreault just feels like weird "little brother" syndrome. And for no reason. Our guy wasn't as highly touted. So what? He's doing well, but his numbers are for sure inflated by being on an absolute powerhouse team and playing with 2 great players. They all need more time.
Great players usually play with other great players.

That said yeah will be interesting to see them broken up

Reactions: MrAlmost

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I'm a BC fan and don't have an NHL team and just enjoy the league overall. The Smith vs. Perrault debate has become weird from both Rangers and Sharks fans. Yes, Perrault has outperformed his draft position. And yes, he's a cerebral player. But Smith has shown he deserved his and is also plenty clever on the ice. They are both fantastic prospects. They're also best friends, roommates, teammates, and make each other better. It's a positive-sum game and not a zero-sum one.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm a BC fan and don't have an NHL team and just enjoy the league overall. The Smith vs. Perrault debate has become weird from both Rangers and Sharks fans. Yes, Perrault has outperformed his draft position. And yes, he's a cerebral player. But Smith has shown he deserved his and is also plenty clever on the ice. They are both fantastic prospects. They're also best friends, roommates, teammates, and make each other better. It's a positive-sum game and not a zero-sum one.

I think it's just people perceiving Smith being a ton better than Perrault. Better? Sure, he earned that benefit of the doubt from his draft slot, but a ton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad