Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Maybe straight into our top 6 if there's any kind of hole. His hockey brain and stick skills have got to be pretty much on the same level as Fox and Panarin. He skates closer to Fox but even so Adam might not be super speedy but he shows defenders up constantly with what he has. Perreault has just been a point producing machine for BC as a freshman. I really think his line mates Smith and Leonard have had great seasons too but Gabriel strikes me as the stick that stirs the drink for that line.
Gabe is a much better skater than Fox. People need to stop with this skating narrative. Gabe is a good skater.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Interesting thought. Do certain players simply not need the ahl step? Like, maybe players characterized as top six players. I don’t have an opinion. Just an interesting thought. Maybe the ahl is where you send your middle and bottom six guys. But not the pure skill guys. I think the answer is, it’s different for every prospect. But worth thinking about.
I think it comes down to why a player is successful at lower levels and how that will translate to the pros. Guys who excel because they are bigger, strong and/or faster can have a hard time adjusting when everyone is bigger, stronger and faster. Even Jack Hughes, as fast as he is, needed a few years to really adjust to the league. Kakko was a bull in a china shop coming into the league, but that didn't translate well and he's still adjusting his game.

When I look at Gabe, I see a guy like Fox, who has learned at lower levels how to beat the bigger, stronger and faster players. They use deception and puck skills. They use their brains to plan 3 moves ahead. They make use of their teammates and put themselves in positions to make plays. If you know what the other guy is going to do a half second before he does it, then you are every bit as fast as they are, if not faster.

And Gabe is a good skater. He had a breakaway last night at the end of a shift where he gained separation on the 2 defenders chasing him. He didn't get enough separation and kind of lost the puck, so he wasn't able to get off a good shot, but his straight-line speed is more than good enough. His edges are good as well. Maybe not quite to the level of Fox, but like him, he's a very agile skater.

It comes down to time and space. All of the skill in the world won't help you if you can't create or find the time and space to employ those skills. IMO, the guys who succeed with their brains have a much easier transition to the NHL than guys who succeed based on their physical attributes.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I could see some time in Hartford being good for him to get used to the speed of the pro game but that might also be something where he could do it at the NHL level.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
If San Jose didn't win the lottery and offered the #2 or #3 pick for Perreault, would anyone take it?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Is he similar to Bread? In style and play? if not who?

Some see Panarin. I see Zuccarello but with slightly more shiftiness and less lower body strength.

I'm sure some people here see him as a 100 point guy, but a 70 point playmaking winger has been my appraisal so far.

Reactions: cheech70

effen

Feb 3, 2018
If San Jose didn't win the lottery and offered the #2 or #3 pick for Perreault, would anyone take it?
His success at the next level is going to predicate on his physical development and willingness to be in hard areas.

You could say that for any top 5 pick, really. So. No.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Some see Panarin. I see Zuccarello but with slightly more shiftiness and less lower body strength.

I'm sure some people here see him as a 100 point guy, but a 70 point playmaking winger has been my appraisal so far.
Panarin has a shiftiness and understanding of space thats impossible to replicate. I wouldnt put that burden on him. Zucc was a monster on the boards and he's not gonna be that strong.

I don't think Mitch Marner is a bad comp.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Panarin has a shiftiness and understanding of space thats impossible to replicate. I wouldnt put that burden on him. Zucc was a monster on the boards and he's not gonna be that strong.

The thing that's wild about Panarin is that even though he's not a super fast skater he is fantastic at protecting the puck for someone his size. He leans into defensemen, protects the puck, buys time, stick handles, all kinds of stuff. For a "small" player who isn't an A+ skater he's just amazing at what he gets out of his physical abilities.
I doubt Perreault can duplicate that, but he doesn't necessarily have to either.

A 70+ point winger as someone mentioned would be a pretty big win at the 23 spot. I can hold out hope that he'll be a 90 point player though who helps drive a first line offense

Reactions: cheech70

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Oof, that’s a tough one. Probably, but only in that specific range.
It would be one of those trades that is boom or bust, and no gm would make because it has too high a risk of being a nightmare on their resume.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

To me that's exactly what I see to be GP's greatest strength. That said I don't wanna bring up Panarin because that's setting unfair expectations.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

As far as style, I see Panarin/Fox as a forward. Obviously not predicting he will be elite like those two, but that sort of game. His CEILING IMO is elite though.
Gabe is already a couple of inches taller than Zuc, and when he fills out should be heavier as well. And IMO, Zuc never had the vision/IQ Gabe already has. If he did he’d have been a perennial PPG+ player, I think. I believe, at this point, Gabe’s floor is a 65-70 pt winger.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
And not going to lie: I absolutely LOVE hearing non NYR commentators constantly trumpet GP as the steal of the 2023 draft. LOVE IT.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad