Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nice:

Girgs-Asplund-Okoposo should be a pain in the ass to play against but, tbh- I've always liked Asplund more on the wing in a top-9 role. This '4th line' should get a good amount of playing time, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotABadPeriod

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I’ll say it, those powerplay units are horrible. Olofsson is one of the best triggermen on the planet and should 100% be on PP1 where Mitts is.

Quinn not being on the powerplay at all is unreal. Come on Donny what happened to the common sense that we all loved you for

Reactions: Fjordy

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I’ll say it, those powerplay units are horrible. Olofsson is one of the best triggermen on the planet and should 100% be on PP1 where Mitts is.

Quinn not being on the powerplay at all is unreal. Come on Donny what happened to the common sense that we all loved you for

Olofsson is on PP2 to spread out the triggermen, which I'm 100% fine with. And it's not like Mitts has a peashooter. His snapper is underrated.

Quinn not being on PP2 is a numbers game. Krebs is a wizard on the PP, he's proven that time and again. You're not removing Okie from PP2 given how good he was last season. I suppose you could nitpick and put Quinn over Cozens, but Quinn at the bumper is a waste.

I'm open to the argument where Olofsson and Tage are on PP1, Mitts takes over the bumper on PP2 and then Quinn being in a trigger position, but that takes away from Cozens...................and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Being that close would be unacceptable to me as a manager. You need some flexibility in there.
As if Adams has really built in any flexibility anyway. The Sabres are at $63.8M, with $2.8M in flexibility. And that’s with Sheahan on IR, so it’s really $62.9M.

If Adams wants cap flexibility, he needs to go make another IR acquisition for one year for about $5M.

And when injuries happen, they won’t go to LTIR, so anyone he calls up is additive to the cap.

So going 13-8 with Pilut up and Bjork & Sheahan down is small in cap difference.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

I don't see much of an issue with it right now. He's going with the guys that have already performed on the PP units. I have no doubt Quinn will eventually find his way on to one of them, but it won't be gifted to him. For now I'm sure they'll rotate him in during games.

Buffalo was 16th in PP% last season, dead center of the pack. That's pretty solid for a team that had trouble scoring goals at times (around 20% of their total goals came on the PP). Sticking with the group that performed relatively well in that department is the way to go to begin the season, and when the kids earn more PP time they'll get it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Let the kid learn and focus on 5 on 5 for now and he will eventually force his way on. Donny isn't an idiot, he wants to make this a slow process for these guys and if they force his hand he will make it happen.

Reactions: Jacob582

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Again, it is my belief that much like Thompson last year, the Sabres have to find out about Mitts NOW! Preferably in the first half of the year. So, he is going to get every opportunity to make his breakout. Thats why they gave him Tuch and are putting him in the trigger spot on the #1PP. If it works and he breaks out, that's a win for the Sabres, either as a long-term player, or a trade asset. Right now his value is too low for either. Its good asset management to take a shot at pumping his value before you decide what to do with him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Again, it is my belief that much like Thompson last year, the Sabres have to find out about Mitts NOW! Preferably in the first half of the year. So, he is going to get every opportunity to make his breakout. Thats why they gave him Tuch and are putting him in the trigger spot on the #1PP. If it works and he breaks out, that's a win for the Sabres, either as a long-term player, or a trade asset. Right now his value is too low for either. Its good asset management to take a shot at pumping his value before you decide what to do with him.
As Joe Marino likes to talk about, the Sabres seem to be isolating the variable with Mitts.

If he doesn't thrive with the opportunity that he is being given to start the season....

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're horrible, but it's certainly not how I'd structure the units. My ideal units would look something like this:

Tuch
Thompson-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
Dahlin

Skinner
Quinn-Cozens-Krebs
Power

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As if Adams has really built in any flexibility anyway. The Sabres are at $63.8M, with $2.8M in flexibility. And that’s with Sheahan on IR, so it’s really $62.9M.

If Adams wants cap flexibility, he needs to go make another IR acquisition for one year for about $5M.

And when injuries happen, they won’t go to LTIR, so anyone he calls up is additive to the cap.

So going 13-8 with Pilut up and Bjork & Sheahan down is small in cap difference.

the only players they might move at the deadline would be who at 50%?

Anderson, Okposo, Girgensons

of those Okposo is one we need to watch on salary. If we planned to move him Buffalo might get involved in pass thru retention trades to build up about $2M or so in cap space.

with Anderson and Girgs st 50%, their roster replacement is within a few hundred thousand.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't like these PP line-up.

Quinn? The guy is very good at it.

When they realize that Jeff Skinner is not a PP player, that's all. I would prefer Okposo on PP over Skinner, he is calmer and has this shot on the right side. Skinner is simply not made for PP, there are too many losses.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't like these PP line-up.

Quinn? The guy is very good at it.

When they realize that Jeff Skinner is not a PP player, that's all. I would prefer Okposo on PP over Skinner, he is calmer and has this shot on the right side. Skinner is simply not made for PP, there are too many losses.

Skinner is there to be a shit disturber around the net. That’s where his bread and butter is. He doesn’t have a rocket of a shot to beat a goalie from further out, like Quinn does. That’s why Skinner is where he is on the PP.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Skinner is there to be a shit disturber around the net. That’s where his bread and butter is. He doesn’t have a rocket of a shot to beat a goalie from further out, like Quinn does. That’s why Skinner is where he is on the PP.
But how positive is this compared to his constant losses on PP and mistakes? Either way, I think Quinn should be in the PP. Interestingly, Boldy and Rossi get some PP time in Wild?

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

Agreed...he's overcomplicating it a bit and giving a bit too much respect to our veterans in this case. I get that we need to develop players and take it slow, but don't think they're doing everything they can right now to ice the best roster possible. A huge part of Quinn's game in Roch was being prolific on the PP. We had the 16th-rated PP, so it's not as though they don't need to improve or had some prolific unit last season. The unit being top 10 or better could add quite a few points to our totals.

Skinner for instance is terrible on the PP. Providing he was on the top PP all year and only had 5G 6A, pretty paltry. His passing is often atrocious and causes problems for his teammates.

As far as I'm concerned, the only staples from last year on the 2 PP units should be Dahlin, Power, Tage, Olofsson, Krebs, Tuch, and probably Okposo. Given Quinn's talent level/skillset, I think a case can be made for him over any of Mitts, Cozens, and especially Skinner.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Everyone needs to relax, there's systems these guys need to learn and get adjusted to on the PP and PK before getting tossed right on there. It won't take long for Quinn to get on the PP, just let Granato teach him the in and outs of it first.

First game is still 2 days away and we are melting down over a guy who has played 2 NHL games not being on there. So much for Quinn to learn and he will punch his way in fairly quickly but let's wait at the very least a few games before getting pissed about it.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
the only players they might move at the deadline would be who at 50%?

Anderson, Okposo, Girgensons

of those Okposo is one we need to watch on salary. If we planned to move him Buffalo might get involved in pass thru retention trades to build up about $2M or so in cap space.

with Anderson and Girgs st 50%, their roster replacement is within a few hundred thousand.

so you think of the players they might move at deadline, one is the 1 week old Captain, and the one is an 'A' (who MIGHT net a 5th rounder)????

o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Dingo44 and Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Everyone needs to relax, there's systems these guys need to learn and get adjusted to on the PP and PK before getting tossed right on there. It won't take long for Quinn to get on the PP, just let Granato teach him the in and outs of it first.

First game is still 2 days away and we are melting down over a guy who has played 2 NHL games not being on there. So much for Quinn to learn and he will punch his way in fairly quickly but let's wait at the very least a few games before getting pissed about it.
Granato said he wanted Quinn and Peterka to focus on a 5-on-5 game like they did with Power. So I'm fine with that.

While I still don't like Skinner at PP, he's just not very good at it and has never been all his career.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Granato said he wanted Quinn and Peterka to focus on a 5-on-5 game like they did with Power. So I'm fine with that.

While I still don't like Skinner at PP, he's just not very good at it and has never been all his career.
Exactly, let the kids acclimate first and if they thrive faster than expected we can handle it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad