Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is the reason I don't think Okposo needs to be re-signed. Rousek isn't going to bring all the off-ice leadership, but he can be a solid checking line player, and faster than Okposo.
I do think that they need to have enough vets on the roster next year.

So, I think that if Okposo wants to be back, he will have a spot on the team.

Rousek probably is a 12/13/14 forward next year.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Mitts is definitely back. He was terrible early in the season - I went to the October game against Chicago and the entire section wanted to give him away for a bag of pucks - but got progressively better as the season went on. And he was one of their best players when the chips were down over the last month. Adams said he loves his versatility and his ability to play on the wing and step into a top-6 center role and not look out of place. He's going nowhere.

I think Kulich starts the year in Rochester and stays there through at least the holidays, at which time they will re-evaluate. Savoie certainly has a leg up in any roster battle given the only alternative if he doesn't make the team out of camp. Rousek will start there but will be the first candidate for recall when injuries strike. I know Terry loves both Girgensons and Okposo, and both bring good leadership, but I see them re-signing only one and I think it ends up being Okposo given the young roster.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I might dangle Rosen or even Ostlund instead of the R1 pick
Overall, this feels wise to me. Thin our high-end F prospect crop by one to upgrade the NHL roster. Use the 2023 pick - we need ELCs from this draft that will slot in in '25-'28. We should stretch our wealth of assets as far into the future as we can.

I know folks may bristle at seemingly casual trade talk around a prospect they like whose trajectory has stabilized with a good year. But that's what happens in front offices. They talk out every possibility, even those that may seem extreme, and decide on a path forward.

To me, keep Ostlund, the super computer center with hands and edges. Keep Kulich, the peer-wrecking now pro-wrecking scoring stud who is already top-10 redraft. Obviously keep Savoie, the high-event piranha sniper. Rosen's slippery skill, shot, and developing two-way game should hold great value around the league. To me he just makes all the sense to flip this summer with a 2nd+ into a major piece on the backend.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Mitts is definitely back. He was terrible early in the season - I went to the October game against Chicago and the entire section wanted to give him away for a bag of pucks - but got progressively better as the season went on. And he was one of their best players when the chips were down over the last month. Adams said he loves his versatility and his ability to play on the wing and step into a top-6 center role and not look out of place. He's going nowhere.

I think Kulich starts the year in Rochester and stays there through at least the holidays, at which time they will re-evaluate. Savoie certainly has a leg up in any roster battle given the only alternative if he doesn't make the team out of camp. Rousek will start there but will be the first candidate for recall when injuries strike. I know Terry loves both Girgensons and Okposo, and both bring good leadership, but I see them re-signing only one and I think it ends up being Okposo given the young roster.
The question around Mitts at this point is not if he'll be back next season - it's if he'll be extended this summer or not.

The only players i see leaving with no 'replacement' being brought in are VO & Hino. These are the roles the likes of Rousek will replace.

Girgs / Jost / KO may all be resigned... Or all three could leave. But NONE of these guys are being replaced from within. You let all three go? Then you'd better bring in three guys via UFA/trade/whatever to play defensive roles. The leadership provided by Girgs & KO in particular will also need replacing. I don't see both of these guys leaving TBH - i expect at least one of them to return.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rousek as Hinostroza's replacement is relatively easy to imagine. I would assume they give Jost another whirl as well but that might be a roster spot up for grabs. When they part ways with Olofsson, who gets Vic's roster spot, let alone his role that becomes the question. I still think they can go outside for a singular forward addition based on role and function but it's either to get a better Jost than Jost or it's to take Vic's spot and provide a player who is at least even 5-on-5 instead of a crater.

Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming they return both of Girgensons and Okposo.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think they sign Mitts and Power is the one that waits until next summer. I think the Sabres want Power signed sooner rather than later as the price will only go up after next season. Especially if they are able to get him a better partner.
Power isn’t signing anything unless it was the same as Dahlin, a 3 yr $6M per.

the idea you can sign him to an 8 yr deal at $5M per is crazy talk.

to many forwards to sign Mitts to a long 8 yr contract.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It will be interesting to see if the Sabres want to go with a 2-3 year bridge deal with Power or if they attempt to sign him to a 7-8 year deal.

If they go long term, it will likely be after Dahlin is signed to an extension and Power likely comes in just under Dahlin's number on a long term deal ala Cozens coming in a little under Thompson's number.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If they are hoping Mittelstadt is going to magically follow the same development curve as Thompson has, I am setting up a timeshare presentation in the lobby of keybank center this summer.
they are similar in the way that they started at the same time, were both thrown in and mismanaged; add covid to that plus injuries and I can see why it took longer.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not sure why people are gung ho to extend Power this summer. A few things to consider:

#1. He won't likely get much PP1 time. That will probably put be a limiter on his point totals.
#2. He's a 10.2c RFA. He can't be signed to an offersheet. He can't go to arbitration. He has, essentially, no real rights unless he wants to hold out.

The IDEAL situation is we sign him to a 3 year bridge deal NEXT year (basically, the same as Dahlin, maybe adjusted a bit for the cap), then he gets an 8 year extension done in 2 years when he's eligible. That would give us Power under contract for more of his peak years (until he's 32)

There are two 10.2 examples we can look at:

1. Charlie McAvoy: Did exactly what I described. 3 year bridge -> 8 year extension
2. Quinn Hughes: 6 year extension right off of ELC

But honestly, the BEST thing we can do with regards to Power isn't to try to extend him this summer. There is literally zero reason to. The best thing we can do is improve the team around him and Dahlin so they will both want to sign those 8 year deals when it's time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
maybe, but its also that he wasnt good at anything else and had to be moved off the ice after it was done

Look at the league's best and you find a majority of them are also the top centers on teams that take the time to emphasize it. The way to get better as a team - which may or may not make them better on the scoresheet - is to get their top two centers to focus on actually being good at it and their top 6 wingers work on how to be better at winning contested draws.

Reactions: debaser66

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Jesper Fast in Carolina... I know CAR has cap challenges, but they can solve them. My understanding is Canes like Fast, and would like him back. Why does Fast choose to leave CAR over BUF? I don't see it.
Clifton 5x4.2 (Power partner)
Hill 3x3 (3 year tandem with Levi)
Fast 4x2.75 (instant best PK forward)
Girgensons 4x1.75 (4th line mainstay)
Okposo 1x2 (last hurrah and can make the playoffs finally)

Trade Olofsson(1/2 retained) & UPL

Explore Rosen trade for a high end D prospect on ELC

Let Savoie and Kulich cook one more year

After next season, Savoie takes Okposo spot, and Kulich takes either Mitts or Krebs spot, one stays one gets moved

My "Kevyn Adams finds Tim Murray's Adderall in a drawer" offseason

Offersheet Swayman (2 years, 6M per)
He calls Toews and they convince Toews to come to come for 1 season (1 year, 6M)
Signs Dumba to a 4 year, 28M deal (overpays for shorter term)
Signs Jesper Fast to a 3 year, 2.5M per deal
Signs Girgensons to a 4 year, 2M per deal

Olofsson, Joker, and Bryson gone for picks

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Greenway-Cozens-Quinn
Mittelstadt-Krebs-Peterka
Girgensons-Toews-Fast

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Dumba
Stillman-Lybushkin

Swayman
Comrie

I know it's completely unrealistic and it's not going to happen. Fun to game out, either way.

It’s almost as if getting away from Olofsson is a good thing.

maybe the whole team should try it
I laughed out loud. The irony of both him and Joker scoring last night. "whipping boys" on the scoresheet

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I've got to believe Josty will be extended, he plays well, he works hard, he's one of the best defensive forwards we have, won't cost much and he's a team fit in every category.

Reactions: The Blunder Years

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I've got to believe Josty will be extended, he plays well, he works hard, he's one of the best defensive forwards we have, won't cost much and he's a team fit in every category.
A bottom 6 center that can't win faceoffs and can't PK is still a pretty tough sell, especially since his QO is over 2m. He's fine - but there's a reason that he had low TOI during our most meaningful games and was a scratch at times. He is and should be upgradeable in the offseason.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Jesper Fast in Carolina... I know CAR has cap challenges, but they can solve them. My understanding is Canes like Fast, and would like him back. Why does Fast choose to leave CAR over BUF? I don't see it.

Who knows. The Hurricanes are pretty unapologetic when it comes to their player evaluations. It's the reason Dougie Hamilton walked for nothing, they didn't see eye to eye on his worth. Right now, he remains unsigned and would be a great fit on our bottom 6. They certainly could still sign him. There are a few good PK wingers out there, so there will be multiple options if we want to add some external pieces to improve there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure why people are gung ho to extend Power this summer. A few things to consider:

#1. He won't likely get much PP1 time. That will probably put be a limiter on his point totals.
#2. He's a 10.2c RFA. He can't be signed to an offersheet. He can't go to arbitration. He has, essentially, no real rights unless he wants to hold out.

The IDEAL situation is we sign him to a 3 year bridge deal NEXT year (basically, the same as Dahlin, maybe adjusted a bit for the cap), then he gets an 8 year extension done in 2 years when he's eligible. That would give us Power under contract for more of his peak years (until he's 32)

There are two 10.2 examples we can look at:

1. Charlie McAvoy: Did exactly what I described. 3 year bridge -> 8 year extension
2. Quinn Hughes: 6 year extension right off of ELC

But honestly, the BEST thing we can do with regards to Power isn't to try to extend him this summer. There is literally zero reason to. The best thing we can do is improve the team around him and Dahlin so they will both want to sign those 8 year deals when it's time.
Surrounding Power and Dahlin with better players will increase the salary they demand on an extension in all likelihood. I do not see any reason why waiting to sign them is good for the team barring unforeseen injuries.

When it comes to Power, the real conversation should be whether a 2-3 bridge and then the 7-8 year deal is the better way to go or whether going 7-8 years off the ELC, like they did with Cozens and Samuelsson, is the better path.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
A bottom 6 center that can't win faceoffs and can't PK is still a pretty tough sell, especially since his QO is over 2m. He's fine - but there's a reason that he had low TOI during our most meaningful games and was a scratch at times. He is and should be upgradeable in the offseason.

This is spot on. Jost is not what this team needs.

We need a 4th liner that is great at faceoffs, defensive play, and PK. We have enough players for the top 9 already.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I haven’t watched much of Pittsburgh this year, but is Petry completely shot? Or could Granato revive him next to Power?

Just think he could be a buy low candidate to put next to Power for 2 seasons and add a veteran on the back end this team needs.

Something like Olofsson & Bryson for Petry? Salaries just about even out.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This is spot on. Jost is not what this team needs.

We need a 4th liner that is great at faceoffs, defensive play, and PK. We have enough players for the top 9 already.
I don't think they will move on that quickly, after they mentioned, how lucky they were, gettin him off waivers;

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Damn, is it good to have center depth once again.

Thompson
Cozens
Mitts
Krebs

is a hell of a center spine. Remember when we had to sign Staal to fill in a top-6 center role? Yeah, no more.

We have the elite center, we have the elite D, we have a the bluest of blue chipped goalie prospect, and we have crazy center depth. All we need now if for the team to gain experience and for Adams to make some savvy moves to fill out the roster. We're so close, but Adams needs to show some balls this offseason.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Damn, is it good to have center depth once again.

Thompson
Cozens
Mitts
Krebs

is a hell of a center spine. Remember when we had to sign Staal to fill in a top-6 center role? Yeah, no more.

We have the elite center, we have the elite D, we have a the bluest of blue chipped goalie prospect, and we have crazy center depth. All we need now if for the team to gain experience and for Adams to make some savvy moves to fill out the roster. We're so close, but Adams needs to show some balls this offseason.
(On a very special episode of Beyond Blue and Gold)

"Ahem...Kevyn? It says here on The Internet that the fans want to see your balls"

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

If Mitts continues to show his late season form moving forward - it's extremely likely that he's going to be better than any of the shiny toys / magic beans.

You don't trade good players to make room for... worse players.

It will be interesting to see if the Sabres want to go with a 2-3 year bridge deal with Power or if they attempt to sign him to a 7-8 year deal.

If they go long term, it will likely be after Dahlin is signed to an extension and Power likely comes in just under Dahlin's number on a long term deal ala Cozens coming in a little under Thompson's number.
Ehh... There's no way that Power is worth ~100k AAV less long term than Dahlin. Even if he hits his ceiling.

I'd assume that Dahlin is worth 10+ AAV long term at this point. Power is harder to judge but it's probably closer to 7-8.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Mitts continues to show his late season form moving forward - it's extremely likely that he's going to be better than any of the shiny toys / magic beans.

You don't trade good players to make room for... worse players.

Ehh... There's no way that Power is worth ~100k AAV less long term than Dahlin. Even if he hits his ceiling.

I'd assume that Dahlin is worth 10+ AAV long term at this point. Power is harder to judge but it's probably closer to 7-8.
Mitts was late-season found money filling in at the 1C spot, he really rose to that occasion well. I was a long time Olofsson supporter and defender but even I can see now that he's hurting the team and holding guys back. It's time to cut bait and get Casey a supporting cast on his line.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad