Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I haven’t watched much of Pittsburgh this year, but is Petry completely shot? Or could Granato revive him next to Power?

Just think he could be a buy low candidate to put next to Power for 2 seasons and add a veteran on the back end this team needs.

Something like Olofsson & Bryson for Petry? Salaries just about even out.
He wasn’t horrible but I’m going by viewing and not advanced stats. Still good on a 2nd or 3rd pair where he isn’t asked to carry a big load.

Most Pens fans think he was a bad fit for Sullivan’s system.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
It's OK to stop being a Mitts hater. I did it.

He's scored only 10 pts less than Cozens this season despite being shuffled around the lineup & has for long stretches been anchored by Olofsson.

In the last 10 games he's scored 15 pts when he's finally had some stability. Need i say that aside from the last one - these games have been hugely important 'must win' situations & he's stepped up to be arguably our best player. Certainly best forward. If you believe in all the behind the scenes stuff he's become a more important figure in the room as well.

So it's not crazy to project that he'd score at ~PPG clip if let's say - he were to play between Skinner & Tuch for a full season showing similar form to these last 10 games.

7m AAV for a 25 yo PPG center is real talk. So take your hater glasses off...
Not being in love with Mitts, or finding room to critique his game and history, does not equal being a hater. I don't hate Mitts. I just done swoon over him like some of the fanboys here.

You are taking his best moments and using them as the middle point to project him as an 80 point center? Thats a Mitts lover wearing those reddish heart glasses. Its how GM's build underachieving cash strapped teams and then get fired.

Mitts is not a 1C. He is not replacing any of our current top 6 longterm. He has done a good job locking down a 3rd line wing spot for next year. Pay him 3rd line winger money, or if he is valued higher in the league then trade him for the value we do need.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He wasn’t horrible but I’m going by viewing and not advanced stats. Still good on a 2nd or 3rd pair where he isn’t asked to carry a big load.

Most Pens fans think he was a bad fit for Sullivan’s system.

He struggled early in the year when the Pens had their losing streak but to hear them now, most of their fans have commented on how he's done well for the Pens.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He struggled early in the year when the Pens had their losing streak but to hear them now, most of their fans have commented on how he's done well for the Pens.
Petry is my current Power partner target. He was this off-season as well. Doesn’t bring what Ekholm does but would get the job done.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why is someone a hater if they are questioning giving a guy with a hot 2 months a huge 7-8 year deal?

He has 57 total points, but also had only 14 goals and a hefty number of secondary assists.

Last year people wanted to give Asplund a 5-6 year contract extension. Same with Olofsson. People love to believe the hot streaks are the norm.

"7m AAV for a 25 yo PPG centre is real talk"

7M AAV for 2 hot months is crazy talk.
Check out pretty much any of his posts about Mitts...

And if you had read my OP properly you'd know that proposed number is based on extending him in 2024 after a full season playing with the likes of Skinner & Tuch...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not being in love with Mitts, or finding room to critique his game and history, does not equal being a hater. I don't hate Mitts. I just done swoon over him like some of the fanboys here.

You are taking his best moments and using them as the middle point to project him as an 80 point center? Thats a Mitts lover wearing those reddish heart glasses. Its how GM's build underachieving cash strapped teams and then get fired.

Mitts is not a 1C. He is not replacing any of our current top 6 longterm. He has done a good job locking down a 3rd line wing spot for next year. Pay him 3rd line winger money, or if he is valued higher in the league then trade him for the value we do need.
If i was taking his best moments & projecting them as a mid point for next year - I'd be projecting him being somewhere close to 1.5 PPG.

'Not replacing any of our top 6 long term'... I hate to tell you this - but he's firmly part of our top 6 already. And that's accounting for much of the season where he's bounced around positions/linemates & been saddled with Olofsson for too long.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Check out pretty much any of his posts about Mitts...

And if you had read my OP properly you'd know that proposed number is based on extending him in 2024 after a full season playing with the likes of Skinner & Tuch...
I really don't see anything that he "hates" Mitts. Being critical of a player isn't hating them. I don't Olofsson, but I've been critical of his game.

OP was talking to a poster that said 8 year deal for Mitts.

"Very good 40 pt center at 5 yr at 2.1 AAV. Wanting to give a 50 pt 3rd line winger like Mitts an 8x 4.5-5 is an insane idea."

I got you mixed up with the other poster who wanted to extend him now.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Hmmmm. Do we have our immediate center core already in Thompson, Cozens, Mitts, Krebs? Holy crap has Mitts been a revelation
When you haven’t made the playoffs in 12 years you don’t have a core. Or at least you shouldn’t.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When you haven’t made the playoffs in 12 years you don’t have a core. Or at least you shouldn’t.
I mean you shouldn’t have one that includes players that have been here for 12 years…

I don’t know how that’s Tage Thompson’s fault who has spent two seasons as a center and put up 85 goals.

Should they…should they have no good players and try to build with them?

I don’t understand

Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Say we use UPL and/or Olofsson to get Power’s partner in the offseason. He’s perfect and we’re all happy. And say Adams is set on going with Levi and Comrie because he thinks Levi can handle being a starter. Do we kind of have way, way too many forward prospects in the system, considering the fact that there are zero spaces left once you account for the likes of Savoie, Rousek, Rosen, and Kulich? There’s kind of a lot, even after that.

I feel like balancing out the prospect pool between forwards, D, and G might be a priority for Adams this offseason.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Calgary is in cap trouble. Too bad Hanifin only has a year left on his contract.

Perhaps there is a team in a cap situation we can steal a defenseman.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Say we use UPL and/or Olofsson to get Power’s partner in the offseason. He’s perfect and we’re all happy. And say Adams is set on going with Levi and Comrie because he thinks Levi can handle being a starter. Do we kind of have way, way too many forward prospects in the system, considering the fact that there are zero spaces left once you account for the likes of Savoie, Rousek, Rosen, and Kulich? There’s kind of a lot, even after that.

I feel like balancing out the prospect pool between forwards, D, and G might be a priority for Adams this offseason.
Not necessarily. Okposo and Girgensons won't be around on long-term deals, Skinner will be up in four, Greenway and Peterka could transition to checking line players if Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and any of the lesser prospects force their way into top-9 spots. That said, I don't mind trading FW prospect for Dman prospect.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
What in the world does the 10 years before this regime matter? It does not. Plain and simple.
It most certainly does. Acting like it doesn’t is blind allegiance to laundry. The players wearing it matters. None of the current bearers of the laundry have shown they can elevate above the bottom half of the league; and that with career years. Until they actually win consistently you don’t have a core, you have a a handful of maybes. It is time for this FO to shitcan this develop players bullshit and ice a winning effing team. They have made no decisions that have yielded tangible winning results. There is no long term in pro sports only what you have done this season. Anything else is pollyanna bs. Win. And do what you need to win again next year. You can’t assume organic growth, because if you do it applies to all teams equally and at the same rate. Everyone has the same odds of improving organically. Use what assets you accumulated while being the laughingstock of the league and ice a winning product. No excuses.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feels like a defenseman who can blast a shot from the point is a lost art. I want one who can do that.

Not as many goals scored that way any more so most defensemen don't do it. Too easy to block the lane and too many forwards are too good at swiping the puck. There was an article on it back in the fall:

Reactions: stokes84

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I would think at some point there is going to be a deal they are putting a prospect or two into for an upgrade in one of their other areas. It would be great to balance the prospect pool a bit, though that's going to involve hitting on their higher mid-round picks. At this point, they have so much either in the minors or already drafted and signed that some players aren't going to get offensive opportunity at the pro level in Rochester.

Not necessarily. Okposo and Girgensons won't be around on long-term deals, Skinner will be up in four, Greenway and Peterka could transition to checking line players if Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and any of the lesser prospects force their way into top-9 spots. That said, I don't mind trading FW prospect for Dman prospect.

I'd rather they deal a prospect for an actual defenseman. Don't sweat trying to develop the defenseman and perhaps messing up the trade, get the finished product(s).

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It most certainly does. Acting like it doesn’t is blind allegiance to laundry. The players wearing it matters. None of the current bearers of the laundry have shown they can elevate above the bottom half of the league; and that with career years. Until they actually win consistently you don’t have a core, you have a a handful of maybes. It is time for this FO to shitcan this develop players bullshit and ice a winning effing team. They have made no decisions that have yielded tangible winning results. There is no long term in pro sports only what you have done this season. Anything else is pollyanna bs. Win. And do what you need to win again next year. You can’t assume organic growth, because if you do it applies to all teams equally and at the same rate. Everyone has the same odds of improving organically. Use what assets you accumulated while being the laughingstock of the league and ice a winning product. No excuses.

Theres no way to respond to something so stubbornly trying to paint things as black and white when it’s anything but.

You have players having great years…and they don’t count because Adams didn’t get a goalie? Throw them all away if you have to because they havent proven anything? Because the only thing they could have proven was getting one more point this season And making the playoffs? That point changes everything? Fasching’s kicked goal is disallowed and we’re allowed to treat Tuch and Tage and Dahlin and Cozens as core pieces?

Do you see how this sounds?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Olofsson, Bryson to Pens for Petry. Sabres can retain on Olofsson. Have to think the Pens are going to reload vs rebuild, so getting two players for one helps. Olofsson is a potential 30 goal scorer for the Pens. We was basically that for the Sabres with limited ice time.

UPL to Seattle for Borgen. Leverage Botterill a bit.

In both these deals, tweek and even out as needed. These are just the base ideas.

Sabres would basically rebuild their back end.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Petry
Stillman - Borgen
x Lyubushkin

The move Jokiharju.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad