Roster thread: Get To Work (2022-2023 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Clifton 5x4.2 (Power partner)
Hill 3x3 (3 year tandem with Levi)
Fast 4x2.75 (instant best PK forward)
Girgensons 4x1.75 (4th line mainstay)
Okposo 1x2 (last hurrah and can make the playoffs finally)

Trade Olofsson(1/2 retained) & UPL

Explore Rosen trade for a high end D prospect on ELC

Let Savoie and Kulich cook one more year

After next season, Savoie takes Okposo spot, and Kulich takes either Mitts or Krebs spot, one stays one gets moved
savoie will be on the team , ive no knowledge but chain here and others have mentioned he's first..

We maybe miss the playoffs with 1 point. If we wonn that devils game I think we would be into the playoffs
would've been great to see them in, there's ten games from FL , devils flyers Colombus that are going to knaw at these guys as they watch.. our top 8 forwards top 3 d are an amazing group

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I haven't written a blog post in a while. But, I have all sorts of ideas around all the questions that the Sabres have entering an off season where they need to make moves in line with next season being all about ending the drought.

No more building seasons.

In that vein, how are they looking to change things in their bottom 6 forwards to be better at faceoffs, better on the PK, and better defensively? I think most people agree that VO has to get moved. But, do they have to move one of Mitts or Krebs to get an improvement over Jost? The ATW guys love Boone Jenner, for instance.

And when it comes to the bottom six forwards, my hot take is that Rousek is more NHL ready than Kulich.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
savoie will be on the team , ive no knowledge but chain here and others have mentioned he's first..
He pretty much has to be on the team out of camp. Rotate him in and out of the lineup. If he doesn't seize a full-time role by Thanksgiving, you can send him back with a list of specific skills to work on. To deny him NHL time would only slow down his progress.

If that's the plan, I would want to go into the season with an otherwise complete bottom six (Hino-contract type UFA help). However, with both Savoie and Kulich pushing for roster spots, I could see Adams gambling on the rookies if he feels that the rest of the roster can carry them.

If they solidify the defense and work on team defense and PK, they should still be able to improve results through internal growth without additional forward signings.

Reactions: HOOats

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He pretty much has to be on the team out of camp. Rotate him in and out of the lineup. If he doesn't seize a full-time role by Thanksgiving, you can send him back with a list of specific skills to work on. To deny him NHL time would only slow down his progress.

If that's the plan, I would want to go into the season with an otherwise complete bottom six (Hino-contract type UFA help). However, with both Savoie and Kulich pushing for roster spots, I could see Adams gambling on the rookies if he feels that the rest of the roster can carry them.

If they solidify the defense and work on team defense and PK, they should still be able to improve results through internal growth without additional forward signings.

My caveat is that he has to earn it out of camp. And if he earns it, he plays. If his play faulters, back to wherever the Ice are calling home next year.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
My caveat is that he has to earn it out of camp. And if he earns it, he plays. If his play faulters, back to wherever the Ice are calling home next year.
Yes. That's a given.

Edit --

Obviously, if he looks out of place he can't be on the opening night roster. He can spend plenty of time in the press box.

Otherwise, he needs to compete in the bigs to know what he doesn't know. He won't get that in the WHL.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I haven't written a blog post in a while. But, I have all sorts of ideas around all the questions that the Sabres have entering an off season where they need to make moves in line with next season being all about ending the drought.

No more building seasons.

In that vein, how are they looking to change things in their bottom 6 forwards to be better at faceoffs, better on the PK, and better defensively? I think most people agree that VO has to get moved. But, do they have to move one of Mitts or Krebs to get an improvement over Jost? The ATW guys love Boone Jenner, for instance.

And when it comes to the bottom six forwards, my hot take is that Rousek is more NHL ready than Kulich.
I generally agree with Peters/Rivet on a lot of this stuff. Many on this forum will hate it - because they mentioned on yesterday's episode that there is no space for all the kids & they would trade them NOW for help elsewhere on the roster...

Their only take i really disagreed with is the insistence on moving Mitts this offseason. I'd have been on board with this halfway through the season TBH - but you need to see if his recent form is a fluke or if it's finally him realising his potential. If it's the latter then he's firmly part of the core.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I generally agree with Peters/Rivet on a lot of this stuff. Many on this forum will hate it - because they mentioned on yesterday's episode that there is no space for all the kids & they would trade them NOW for help elsewhere on the roster...

Their only take i really disagreed with is the insistence on moving Mitts this offseason. I'd have been on board with this halfway through the season TBH - but you need to see if his recent form is a fluke or if it's finally him realising his potential. If it's the latter then he's firmly part of the core.
I think that Adams and Granato view Mitts as a piece of the core moving forward more than the fans and media might. He sure seems to be as much of an off ice leader among the younger crew as a guy like Dahlin.

I think the odds are that Mitts is #3 behind Dahlin & Power on the "Extend Long Term To Do List" for Adams this off season.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Adams isn't moving Mitts and he'd be dumb if we did. Put that idea to bed. This isn't 2022.

Remember those guys who said Mittelstadt was injury prone because he got slashed in the wrist in the first game last season and then had a setback later in the year? He's the only Sabre to play every game this year.
Just so it's clear - this isn't my view - it's what Peters/Rivet were saying yesterday.

I guess I'm one of the original Mitts 'haters'. But in the most important part of our season - playing a string of 'must win' games - he has been lights out. Borderline elite.

It could be possible that Adams takes the gamble & signs him for 7/8 years this summer for a lower AAV than he'd get after a full season playing at this level. Would Mitts take that though? And what if he regresses back to where he was?

He does also seem to be an important player in the room. BFFs with Dahlin etc. If a long term deal for Mitts would encourage Dahlin to sign a more team friendly long term deal I'd like it for that reason too.

Reactions: elchud

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Just so it's clear - this isn't my view - it's what Peters/Rivet were saying yesterday.

I guess I'm one of the original Mitts 'haters'. But in the most important part of our season - playing a string of 'must win' games - he has been lights out. Borderline elite.

It could be possible that Adams takes the gamble & signs him for 7/8 years this summer for a lower AAV than he'd get after a full season playing at this level. Would Mitts take that though? And what if he regresses back to where he was?

He does also seem to be an important player in the room. BFFs with Dahlin etc. If a long term deal for Mitts would encourage Dahlin to sign a more team friendly long term deal I'd like it for that reason too.

Adams called Mitts one of the core yesterday and called him a leader, great teammate, elite talent, versatile, a really important player, and that he brings unique skills to the team. He's not moving and I am sure will get signed soon after Dahlin. Here is Adams on Casey yesterday.

Peters and Rivet are idiots. Good for a laugh but not serious reporters and they are seemingly less and less in tune with what is actually going on with the team.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I take it you wouldn't approve of a Shane Wright-style autumn with the NHL club then? Play nine times across 25 team games, be around the locker room, space his games out so he can do some serious weight training past the off-season. Send him to WJC and see how our roster/season is going after.

Peters and Rivet are idiots. Good for a laugh but not serious reporters and they are seemingly less and less in tune with what is actually going on with the team.
Rivet is brutal. I love Peters, truly one of the most charismatic guys around. But when they start playing GM, I'm reminded (and horrified) of how many dopey former pros used to get handed FO roles no matter their qualifications. I'd like less big picture talk from them, more player perspective and banter.

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Generally agreed with all of this - particularly your point about Weegar (or any other guy we acquire in that role). I might dangle Rosen or even Ostlund instead of the R1 pick - but I'd happily make your proposal if that's what it took.

I think Mitts gets an extension in that same 7m AAV range as TT/Cozens if he carries on playing close to PPG though. So factor that in to what you give to UFAs short term & your core guys long term.

I'm confident they could make all of this work though simply because of the abundance of both cap space & trade assets. Your OP didn't even account for the returns we'd get from moving Conrie/UPL either IIRC.

I don't think Mitts is going to be a PPG player. He (likely) won't get a top 6 forward slot while everyone is healthy. And he's not going to get PP1 time while everyone is healthy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Adams called Mitts one of the core yesterday and called him a leader, great teammate, elite talent, versatile, a really important player, and that he brings unique skills to the team. He's not moving and I am sure will get signed soon after Dahlin. Here is Adams on Casey yesterday.

Peters and Rivet are what they are. They are former Sabres players who have contacts with the team and around the league. They are just like a lot of podcasters in that they have their opinions on the team and you need to salt certain things to taste as they view team building from a specific POV.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My "Kevyn Adams finds Tim Murray's Adderall in a drawer" offseason

Offersheet Swayman (2 years, 6M per)
He calls Toews and they convince Toews to come to come for 1 season (1 year, 6M)
Signs Dumba to a 4 year, 28M deal (overpays for shorter term)
Signs Jesper Fast to a 3 year, 2.5M per deal
Signs Girgensons to a 4 year, 2M per deal

Olofsson, Joker, and Bryson gone for picks

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Greenway-Cozens-Quinn
Mittelstadt-Krebs-Peterka
Girgensons-Toews-Fast

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Dumba
Stillman-Lybushkin

Swayman
Comrie

I know it's completely unrealistic and it's not going to happen. Fun to game out, either way.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Rivet is brutal. I love Peters, truly one of the most charismatic guys around. But when they start playing GM, I'm reminded (and horrified) of how many dopey former pros used to get handed FO roles no matter their qualifications. I'd like less big picture talk from them, more player perspective and banter.

Peters and Rivet are what they are. They are former Sabres players who have contacts with the team and around the league. They are just like a lot of podcasters in that they have their opinions on the team and you need to salt certain things to taste as they view team building from a specific POV.

I'm not saying I don't find them entertaining occasionally, and maybe idiots is a little mean. And I love the old time stories and I guess it's fun to hear them get riled up about stuff. And yes - I love it when they bring up what a dick Eichel was. But I'm glad when Terry was looking around the office for a former player to promote to GM he picked Kevyn and not one of those two.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not saying I don't find them entertaining occasionally, and maybe idiots is a little mean. And I love the old time stories and I guess it's fun to hear them get riled up about stuff. And yes - I love it when they bring up what a dick Eichel was. But I'm glad when Terry was looking around the office for a former player to promote to GM he picked Kevyn and not one of those two.
Absolutely.

I just like their podcast in general as I think they do have some interesting conversations, especially when Vanek and Gionta are on. The conversation that they had with Vanek about Greenway before the trade happened is one of the reasons why I listen to their stuff a lot.

But, I also laugh at their overvaluation of toughness in general. I think there needs to be a blend and they know they need to add some to the mix. But, they tend to go overboard with it.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Absolutely.

I just like their podcast in general as I think they do have some interesting conversations, especially when Vanek and Gionta are on. The conversation that they had with Vanek about Greenway before the trade happened is one of the reasons why I listen to their stuff a lot.

But, I also laugh at their overvaluation of toughness in general. I think there needs to be a blend and they know they need to add some to the mix. But, they tend to go overboard with it.

I'd definitely rather listen to them than Duff and Marty. Maybe less insight, but they are more entertaining. And their banter with the guests is worth the listen.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd definitely rather listen to them than Duff and Marty. Maybe less insight, but they are more entertaining. And their banter with the guests is worth the listen.
Honestly, I think we are pretty spoiled with the variety and quality of stuff we get on the Sabres.

I like Duffer and Marty, ATW, Maintenance Day, Instigator, xBuffalo, and a few others. They all have their own unique angles and bring a good, broad set of opinions.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If they can lock Mitts up a to a steal of a contract right now, I'm all for it.

Offer him the Kotkaniemi deal. 8 x $4.82 but with no trade protections.
No 8 yrs.

with KK you have the 25 yr old 1/3 buy out.

Yes. That's a given.

Edit --

Obviously, if he looks out of place he can't be on the opening night roster. He can spend plenty of time in the press box.

Otherwise, he needs to compete in the bigs to know what he doesn't know. He won't get that in the WHL.
They have the days/ game count. He starts on the club in October.
I think that Adams and Granato view Mitts as a piece of the core moving forward more than the fans and media might. He sure seems to be as much of an off ice leader among the younger crew as a guy like Dahlin.

I think the odds are that Mitts is #3 behind Dahlin & Power on the "Extend Long Term To Do List" for Adams this off season.
They wait on Mitts snd Power to next summer In 2024 to sign.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly, I think we are pretty spoiled with the variety and quality of stuff we get on the Sabres.

I like Duffer and Marty, ATW, Maintenance Day, Instigator, xBuffalo, and a few others. They all have their own unique angles and bring a good, broad set of opinions.

No doubt. Plus Hoppe and especially Matt Fairburn on The Athletic who was amazing when he was the Bills beat reporter and is great and getting better with the Sabres. Lots of NHL teams on The Athletic don't even have their own dedicated reporter.

Plus we have this board. I spend way too much time here but I've loved the Sabres since as an 8 year old I would keep having the Ken-Ton library play their silent 16mm film of the Sabres-Flyers Finals over and over and it's nice to be able to talk Sabres all year long.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They wait on Mitts snd Power to next summer In 2024 to sign.
I think they sign Mitts and Power is the one that waits until next summer. I think the Sabres want Power signed sooner rather than later as the price will only go up after next season. Especially if they are able to get him a better partner.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Rousek is more NHL ready than Kulich as his defensive game is more advanced. Obviously ceilings are much different but Rousek can be tossed on the 4th line and not look out of place as the speedy forechecker to pressure the defense
This is the reason I don't think Okposo needs to be re-signed. Rousek isn't going to bring all the off-ice leadership, but he can be a solid checking line player, and faster than Okposo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No doubt. Plus Hoppe and especially Matt Fairburn on The Athletic who was amazing when he was the Bills beat reporter and is great and getting better with the Sabres. Lots of NHL teams on The Athletic don't even have their own dedicated reporter.

Plus we have this board. I spend way too much time here but I've loved the Sabres since as an 8 year old I would keep having the Ken-Ton library play their silent 16mm film of the Sabres-Flyers Finals over and over and it's nice to be able to talk Sabres all year long.
Fairburn has definitely been ROTY in the Sabres media circles this year. I have really enjoyed so many of the pieces he has put out after the first couple were rough as he was getting his head into his new role.

Joe & Lance are pretty good, too.

And there is also a stick tap to people like Jourdon LaBarber, Jon Rudder, and the rest of the Sabres media crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad