Speculation: Roster Speculation XVII - Because It's Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Of course the root of being a GM is making sure that priority #1 is improving your team.

But at the same time having a good positive report with your peers may give you an advantage in negotiations.

When you're a GM for only three years it's helps to build that report.

Seriously? Who are you going to get through that rapport more important than Lindholm? You think we're gonna rapport our way into McDavid? Maybe just be sweet and chummy enough to nab Matthews for a first and a second?

Rapport is small ball. Rapport is how you get a third instead of a fifth for a UFA rental. This is a #1D. On a team that needs him or OEL or equivalent more than it needs any other single thing.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ducks fans very, very unhappy with the OS talk on the main board.

Like, we might be fanemies now. :laugh:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seriously? Who are you going to get through that rapport more important than Lindholm? You think we're gonna rapport our way into McDavid? Maybe just be sweet and chummy enough to nab Matthews for a first and a second?

Rapport is small ball. Rapport is how you get a third instead of a fifth for a UFA rental. This is a #1D. On a team that needs him or OEL or equivalent more than it needs any other single thing.

This isn't about have a positive relationship for right now for the move itself, if you gain anything it's for down the line. That's all it's for, but you need to start somewhere. That's all I was getting at.

You don't necessarily need to tell them what you're going to offer in the offer sheet.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
^watch it become "....and Stepan and Zuccarello and Brassard and Kreider and and and...." :facepalm: :shakehead
It usually does (see the Sharks "taking hard looks" while keeping their core together for running offseasons), but I think the Rangers are going to trade one of their forwards and try to find a taker for Staal.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ducks fans legitimately telling us Eichel is the price on Lindholm. "A trade that helps both teams."

So, yeah.

We can forget those guys.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The rangers have so many good assets that it would be incredible to see them do a scorched earth rebuild. Imagine the prospect pool, draft pick collect, etc. they could if they sold everything but the sink. It'd be even more incredible than Buffalo's

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Ducks fans very, very unhappy with the OS talk on the main board.

Like, we might be fanemies now. :laugh:
Multiple posters are walking back their fanbase's collective evaluation of Fowler from pretty much up until the Nashville series, so maybe we can find some common ground yet. :laugh:

We don't have the proven assets to be a good trade partner for a contender (especially conceptually) unless we overpay with futures or the contender needs our assets to facilitate something that the average fan would have no knowledge of.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The rangers have so many good assets that it would be incredible to see them do a scorched earth rebuild. Imagine the prospect pool, draft pick collect, etc. they could if they sold everything but the sink. It'd be even more incredible than Buffalo's
Their issue is/was trying to put a team with no elite skaters over the top. They have so many tier two dudes that getting futures for all of them in a way that makes them meaningfully worse will be hard. Making hockey trades doesn't get you closer to the elite talent at the top of the draft.

I guess they just have to float every name they have and hope to fall into Gomez-McDonagh 2: Electric Boogaloo, before Lundqvist ceases to be King.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Their issue is/was trying to put a team with no elite skaters over the top. They have so many tier two dudes that getting futures for all of them in a way that makes them meaningfully worse will be hard. Making hockey trades doesn't get you closer to the elite talent at the top of the draft.

I guess they just have to float every name they have and hope to fall into Gomez-McDonagh 2: Electric Boogaloo, before Lundqvist ceases to be King.

Which as I mentioned is so silly. It's like those that wanted to ride Miller through the rebuild and win with him at the end. Lundqvist is 34 years old. How many years of elite play does he have left? 2? 3? He's one of the best assets, they should be selling him now before a few year's of playing behind a putrid defense really destroys his value.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Does he even have meaningful value? He's never been the difference vs. an elite team. Contenders can't afford him because paying goaltending topmost dollar is inefficient.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks fans legitimately telling us Eichel is the price on Lindholm. "A trade that helps both teams."

So, yeah.

We can forget those guys.

Surely you can tell that was just an attempt to get a rise.

Obviously Eichel is the more valuable player and that trade isn't happening. But should the Ducks trade their young #1 Dman for anything less than a young franchise center? Absolutely not, that would be the asking price and therefore the end the conversation.

If an Oilers fan ever asks you for an asking price on Risto, I think you should say McDavid or bust. They'll say no and you keep your best young defenseman.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Surely you can tell that was just an attempt to get a rise.

Obviously Eichel is the more valuable player and that trade isn't happening. But should the Ducks trade their young #1 Dman for anything less than a young franchise center? Absolutely not, that would be the asking price and therefore the end the conversation.

If an Oilers fan ever asks you for an asking price on Risto, I think you should say McDavid or bust. They'll say no and you keep your best young defenseman.

I think, if anything, you guys move Vatanen.

I'd be interested in Fowler though :dunno:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think, if anything, you guys move Vatanen.

I'd be interested in Fowler though :dunno:

I agree that Vatanen is the most likely of the three to move. We have no one at all who can replace Lindholm, and really no one proven enough to say they can step right into Fowler's shoes either. Vatanen is a gem but Theodore has shown he can QB the power play in his absence, and Montour is right behind biting at Theo's heels as well. That role would be the easiest to fill right away, so for a team trying to win now it makes the most sense to move Vats. I know Sabres fans would much rather see the other two available, and you will see some Ducks fans ready to move on from Fowler for the right offer. I just don't see us winning anything with a blue line made up of Lindholm and a bunch of #4/5 guys. All the best teams have at least a pair of top flight Dmen.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I agree that Vatanen is the most likely of the three to move. We have no one at all who can replace Lindholm, and really no one proven enough to say they can step right into Fowler's shoes either. Vatanen is a gem but Theodore has shown he can QB the power play in his absence, and Montour is right behind biting at Theo's heels as well. That role would be the easiest to fill right away, so for a team trying to win now it makes the most sense to move Vats. I know Sabres fans would much rather see the other two available, and you will see some Ducks fans ready to move on from Fowler for the right offer. I just don't see us winning anything with a blue line made up of Lindholm and a bunch of #4/5 guys. All the best teams have at least a pair of top flight Dmen.

I consider the idea of Buffalo acquiring Lindholm to be a pipe dream. We've got to look elsewhere for LHD IMO.

And I understand WRT Fowler. It's like someone asking for Reinhart/ROR. We don't wanna move them even though we've got a better player at that position. Quality depth is a good thing.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
If you're looking to deal with someone, you have to look at what they want that you can provide. IMO, what Anaheim wants is the flexibility of relatively cheap, movable assets, and to relieve themselves of expensive, immovable ones. Take on something that pins them down in exchange for something that frees them up, and maybe Lindholm shakes loose. McCabe, Larsson and Pysyk are cheap and mobile. Bieksa, Stoner and Depres (going by Heraldic's post) are expensive and hard to move. I don't know what or who we can take, or who would fit, but there are people whose job it is to figure that out. People who, I hope, would have better thoughts and ideas than fans on a message board.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
How much of a cap dump is Stoner thought to be? He seems to be a contract that the Ducks would be very happy to get rid of, and with two years left that's a decent term for Buffalo to handle. Thought being - lessen the price for Fowler by taking Stoner. This would be a deal the Ducks would be motivated for and one that not many teams other than Buffalo could afford (taking on over 7 mil in salary/cap).

Ducks fans further state that they need roster players as opposed to futures, needing to win now with Getz/Kelser/Perry. So if Buffalo takes Stoner, I assume #8 can be taken out of the equation and give a few cheap roster players instead. They seem short on RHD and they need/want a young FW.

Is Pysyk and Girgensons enough for Fowler and Stoner?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
How much of a cap dump is Stoner thought to be? He seems to be a contract that the Ducks would be very happy to get rid of, and with two years left that's a decent term for Buffalo to handle. Thought being - lessen the price for Fowler by taking Stoner. This would be a deal the Ducks would be motivated for and one that not many teams other than Buffalo could afford (taking on over 7 mil in salary/cap).

Ducks fans further state that they need roster players as opposed to futures, needing to win now with Getz/Kelser/Perry. So if Buffalo takes Stoner, I assume #8 can be taken out of the equation and give a few cheap roster players instead. They seem short on RHD and they need/want a young FW.

Is Pysyk and Girgensons enough for Fowler and Stoner?

maybe for a Fowler jersey

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
Giving Lindholm an offer sheet has no real draw backs honestly. You would be crazy to pass up on Lindholm for a 1st 2nd and 3rd. If the Ducks match then no harm no foul, but I think a front loaded deal could cause seriously problems with their internal cap. Getting Lindholm would a real coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad