Speculation: Roster Speculation XVII - Because It's Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
For a front loaded SPC the only stipulations are 1) the difference between the combined salary & bonuses for any adjacent years cannot exceed 35% of the combined salary & bonuses of the first year, 2) in no year may the combined salary & bonuses be less than 50% of that of the highest year. So with $10M in the first (and highest) year, that means no more than a drop of $3.5M a year and also no less than $5M in any year.

Great. I thought they fixed that, but I'm in board if not. I still think you go higher than james offer, but that's the pressure point - $10-11M in year 1.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Great. I thought they fixed that, but I'm in board if not. I still think you go higher than james offer, but that's the pressure point - $10-11M in year 1.

Considering the previous CBA allowed contracts like Roberto Luongo's where he made $10M in the first year of the contract and is due $1M in its final year, the 50% rule is the fix.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Would anyone be interested in Radulov? I mean 15m for 2 years is pricey but he would be gone right when Eichel and Reinhart need new contracts, it isn't our money, and are the options for wingers right now really better at the moment? (maybe Rick Nash maybe?)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Would anyone be interested in Radulov? I mean 15m for 2 years is pricey but he would be gone right when Eichel and Reinhart need new contracts, it isn't our money, and are the options for wingers right now really better at the moment? (maybe Rick Nash maybe?)

If they throw their pick away on Chychrun who we have to wait to see fail in three years...we will be desperate for that forward and already have accepted failure so why not.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

No.

Nope.

His behavior in the KHL playoffs made me sick enough. When I say he argued every whistle, I mean that he argued every time the play was blown dead. He'd argue with his own coach, teammates, refs.... It was bad

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
No.

Nope.

His behavior in the KHL playoffs made me sick enough. When I say he argued every whistle, I mean that he argued every time the play was blown dead. He'd argue with his own coach, teammates, refs.... It was bad

Yeah, I can't believe anyone wants to risk signing him with all of his baggage, he's definitely not worth the potential/inevitable headaches and that's even before the Murray/Russian history. I'm actually hoping he goes to Detroit b/c that takes them outta the Stamkos derby and that only helps us in the long run within the division.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

Nashville jettisoned him after one playoff run even though he put up good numbers. That's more than alarming. And you have the Murray + Russians issue. Therefore clearly no.
Davidson and #4 for Girgensons, Pysyk and #8 is a deal i'd do for sure! if we acquired another RD in another trade and signed a RD UFA like Demers, then those 3 RD would allow us to send Fayne on his way and we can move Sekera back to the left side to take Davidson's place. no lose here.
Girgensons to move from 8 to 4 is too rich for my blood. Simplify it. Pysyk for Davidson. Maybe minor pieces to even things out if at all necessary.
If came away with Lindholm and Chychrun... :dreamy:
In that dreamworld I'd prefer Lindholm and Brodin (for 8th OA).

Lindholm Risto
Brodin Bogo
McCabe Pysyk

Perfect.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
On the trade boards I have illustrated couple of times how the Ducks' actual salary situation is really tough.

Last season they started with about 65 millions actual salary spent ( I think that's where their internal budget was). Now, with only 15 contracts (with Theodore being only ELC included), their salary expenditures are about 55 millions.

B.Murray said that their revenues got a bit up, so he gets "little bit more" to spend. Let's say it is 1,5 millions. So they have about 11,5 millions to spend...

They have to re-sign Vatanen, Andersen, Rakell and Lindholm. And if they actually get them under a contract, they still have to get 4 more contracts to get the 23 roster spot figure.

Sure, they can try to ship of awful contracts like Stoner and Bieksa, but while they cannot take any salary back, I think that's going to be really difficult. Perhaps they can try to trade cap hit for salary (meaning they get a player with bigger cap hit than salary), but that likely isn't going to be easy either.

And even if they can get rid of, say, Despres and Stoner. That gives them around 7 millions. It's a lot, but even in that situation they more than likely are going to have tough time getting a competitive roster on the ice (their window is right now, they cannot ice a significantly worse roster next year).

Their only shot is to get rid of bad contracts, and try to get strongly backloaded contracts to their extended players.

You can basically get Ducks life a mess by throwing Lindholm a severely front loaded contract with only around 5,5 millions cap hit. Ennis' first year is 7,3 with the cap hit of 4,6. With Lindholm it could be more. And throw some signing bonuses to the mix... You don't have to get totally goofy with Lindholm's offersheet.

And that's the reason why Lindholm is not going to enter unsigned July 1st. I think there are legit chances of him getting traded, though it's not likely. And if he actually is being shopped, I hope Timmy is all over it.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
On the trade boards I have illustrated couple of times how the Ducks' actual salary situation is really tough.

Last season they started with about 65 millions actual salary spent ( I think that's where their internal budget was). Now, with only 15 contracts (with Theodore being only ELC included), their salary expenditures are about 55 millions.

B.Murray said that their revenues got a bit up, so he gets "little bit more" to spend. Let's say it is 1,5 millions. So they have about 11,5 millions to spend...

They have to re-sign Vatanen, Andersen, Rakell and Lindholm. And if they actually get them under a contract, they still have to get 4 more contracts to get the 23 roster spot figure.

Sure, they can try to ship of awful contracts like Stoner and Bieksa, but while they cannot take any salary back, I think that's going to be really difficult. Perhaps they can try to trade cap hit for salary (meaning they get a player with bigger cap hit than salary), but that likely isn't going to be easy either.

And even if they can get rid of, say, Despres and Stoner. That gives them around 7 millions. It's a lot, but even in that situation they more than likely are going to have tough time getting a competitive roster on the ice (their window is right now, they cannot ice a significantly worse roster next year).

Their only shot is to get rid of bad contracts, and try to get strongly backloaded contracts to their extended players.

You can basically get Ducks life a mess by throwing Lindholm a severely front loaded contract with only around 5,5 millions cap hit. Ennis' first year is 7,3 with the cap hit of 4,6. With Lindholm it could be more. And throw some signing bonuses to the mix... You don't have to get totally goofy with Lindholm's offersheet.

And that's the reason why Lindholm is not going to enter unsigned July 1st. I think there are legit chances of him getting traded, though it's not likely. And if he actually is being shopped, I hope Timmy is all over it.

Good post. Agree on the Anaheim contract situation. They are in a tough spot and are prime for poaching. Lindholm might not exactly fit the "QB" moniker, but if you're looking for a 5v5 possession qb who can help the transition from our end and getting the puck into enemy territory, then Lindholm is exactly what you'd want. I feel this was more Murray's desire in "qb" anyways as opposed to a "pp qb". As he stated, our 5v5 play is what needs to improve the most.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I hope his agent reads these boards, is all I can say.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You can basically get Ducks life a mess by throwing Lindholm a severely front loaded contract with only around 5,5 millions cap hit.

Although I expect about twenty teams would be lining up beside you to offer the same deal in that case. "Hey, a young 1D available for basically what we'd pay if we'd have drafted him ourselves! Don't mind if I do!"

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Good post. Agree on the Anaheim contract situation. They are in a tough spot and are prime for poaching. Lindholm might not exactly fit the "QB" moniker, but if you're looking for a 5v5 possession qb who can help the transition from our end and getting the puck into enemy territory, then Lindholm is exactly what you'd want. I feel this was more Murray's desire in "qb" anyways as opposed to a "pp qb". As he stated, our 5v5 play is what needs to improve the most.

Yeah, I don't think that you overthink it if you can actually get a player like Lindholm. With Risto, they could form one of the best pairings in the game for a long time. I think they would complement each other well.

And if you get Lindholm under around 6 million longterm deal (should be doable with offersheet or via trade), you got plenty of room to have that QB as well. Hell, Johnny Boychuk's cap hit is 6 millions...

Get rid of Gorges and Franson, and sign Campbell or similar.

Lindholm (6 million) - Risto (6 million)
Campbell (6 million) Bogo (5,1 million)

That's actually not that much for a defense of that caliber.

Anaheim most likely want to have salary controlled pieces, but I doubt they will only accept prospects/picks (because they cannot weaken the team too much). But the fact that they cannot take too much salary back, IMO, would work for our favor.

As far as I know, they lack top-6 winger and a third-line center, at least.

You throw them a package of 1st 2016, 1st 2017, Ennis (3,650 000), Larsson (950 000) and Pysyk (1,250 000).

Ennis concussion is a factor here. But he is a cost controlled top-6 winger. That package could give them valuable futures (two 1st rounders) and young, NHL caliber players with low salary. That's a lot to give, but given our situation I think it's worth it and you don't get a guy like Lindholm without giving up a solid package.

You put Reinhart as a center (It's time to get him used to that position), trade for Nash and sign a third pairing RHD (If not confident in Nelson). You likely need to get in addition of Nash one or two top-9 players, but it shouldn't be impossible (given that Bailey and Fasching might be ready as well).

Kane - ROR - Nash
x - Eichel - Girgs
Foligno - Reinhart - x
Des - x -Gionta
Moulson, x

Lindholm - Risto
x - Bogo
McCabe - x
x

Lehner
x

Although I expect about twenty teams would be lining up beside you to offer the same deal in that case. "Hey, a young 1D available for basically what we'd pay if we'd have drafted him ourselves! Don't mind if I do!"

Sure. There would be other teams willing to give similar deals. But Lindholm is the one who chooses with who he signs with. Given the age of our team and the situation where he would be put in, I think we could have a strong case here.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

The only thing I would hope is that more teams (Edmonton, Toronto, Arizona) are looking more for RHD, especially Edmonton, who has Klefbom/Sekera/Davidson/Reinhart/Nurse all on the left. Toronto as well to look for a guy to put with Reilly. Arizona needs righties and lefties but OEL is on the left, so a righty makes more sense.

Also there's the fact that righties may be more readily available... Barrie, Shattenkirk and Trouba on the high end, and guys like Dumba could be available as well.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think we pitch Lindholm somewhere between:

13, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5
8.2 hit, compensation is 1,1,2,3

and

10.5, 8, 6, 6, 5.5
7.2 hit, compensation is 1,2,3.

I don't see the point in stretching out the years when it probably just makes the deal more attractive for Anaheim to match. What looks better for us looks better for them, too.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

13, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5

and

10.5, 8, 6, 6, 5.5

I don't see the point in stretching out the years when it probably just makes the deal more attractive for Anaheim to match. What looks better for us looks better for them, too.

I'm pretty sure that if Lindholm actually gets offersheeted, it won't be near as much in terms of cap hit. Both of those contracts would make Lindholm the most paid (yearly average) defenseman ever to play in this league after his ELC.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This is the most unpredictable offseason in a long time for Sabres fans. Should be exciting.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If they throw their pick away on Chychrun who we have to wait to see fail in three years...we will be desperate for that forward and already have accepted failure so why not.

Hopefully Murray announces the pick, " With the 8th pick we have decided to throw it away on Jacob Chychrun. We knew we should take a forward but we wanted to stick it to a guy on a message board. "

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

13, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5

and

10.5, 8, 6, 6, 5.5

Additional years is probably meaningless in Anaheim's situation. if they aren't matching it's strictly because of the up front costs. A 6th or 7th year changes nothing.

And for buffalo, additional years are obviously better (lowering the cap hit, keeping him longer through prime).

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Why are you so sure Chychrun will fail?

It sure seems like a lot of NHL scouts and GM's think he's an excellent player.

I get expressing opinions and all, but it seems silly to act like him failing is some foregone conclusion.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why are you so sure Chychrun will fail?

It sure seems like a lot of NHL scouts and GM's think he's an excellent player.

I get expressing opinions and all, but it seems silly to act like him failing is some foregone conclusion.

Don't feed the troll

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

13, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5

and

10.5, 8, 6, 6, 5.5

You have to figure that Risto will probably want a matching contract at the very least, or more than likely a higher paying contract. Unless we're able to get him signed long term for less before the offer sheet.

I'm not real crazy about giving away a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick either. Let alone two 1sts.
Tim Murray said that this team will live and die by the draft right now. I don't know how likely it is that he's willing to give away pretty much an entire draft for 1 player with all the holes we have to fill yet.

I absolutely,love lindholm, don't get me wrong. But it's not like we are 1 piece away from contenders. I just don't think we're at a point where we can afford to sacrifice the entire first 3 rounds of next year's draft. We just got done picked 2, 2 and now 8. If TM traded away 1, 2 and 3 next year and we end up picking top 10 again, he likely loses his job. Where as if he just keeps building the team without such a huge gamble like that, he likely keeps his job. I know he's not afraid to take risks, but I'm not sure he takes this one...

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

That still leaves them with the option of trading one of the other guys like Vatanen or Andersen, doesn't it? I just think they would be incredibly foolish to let Lindholm walk, as much as I would like to believe, the Sabres have a chance to get him.

Hopefully Murray announces the pick, " With the 8th pick we have decided to throw it away on Jacob Chychrun. We knew we should take a forward but we wanted to stick it to a guy on a message board. "
I honestly laughed. I'd probably still rather have Brodin with that pick, though.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'd be thrilled to get Sergachev, he's a beautiful skater with a big time point shot, big too but not that physical. Also be thrilled with Chychrun and Nylander.

Juolevi's fine too if Murray and scouts think he's better than the other 2 dmen, I think he's the safest pick of the 3 but the other 2 have the potential to rival Risto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad