Speculation: Roster Speculation XVII - Because It's Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Interview with Dan Bylsma on NHLN right now.

Biggest roster needs according to Disco: left shot defenseman (currently 4 rights and 2 lefts), #1 defenseman, one or two top-6 wingers.

Interesting comment about needing a #1, perhaps doesn't look at Rasmus as being that guy at this point.

Also implies that he does value handedness, which was largely inferred here.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Interview with Dan Bylsma on NHLN right now.

Biggest roster needs according to Disco: left shot defenseman (currently 4 rights and 2 lefts), #1 defenseman, one or two top-6 wingers.

Interesting comment about needing a #1, perhaps doesn't look at Rasmus as being that guy at this point.

Also implies that he does value handedness, which was largely inferred here.

Unless he's just saying #1 as in top paring.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Unless he's just saying #1 as in top paring.

Tough to tell from the context where he was still breaking down the need for a left shot, and then going into a need for a #1.

The exact quote thanks to miraculous DVR:

Disco Dan said:
You try to identify spots on our team where we can get better. You know, adding a defenseman on the back end. You know, we got 4 right shots, 2 left shots right now. Adding a left shot defenseman. You know, everyone would love to add a #1 defenseman. Those are hard to come by, hard to get, but looking for someone there on the left side on defense.

And I think then you're looking for, you know, probably have 1 or 2 spots in the top 6 winger position. Ryan O'Reilly in the middle, Jack in the middle. We could add a top-end player to play alongside those guys, complement those players.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It does the "definite contributing roster defenseman with 8OA" thing, but man do I not care about Shatty.

He's so the wrong handedness. It slots something in the $5M AAV on the third pairing right side. Am I attached to Bogosian? Not really... but after his season, does his value make it work their while to shop him? I don't think so -- too messy.

One cryptic bit from Yost was the implication that there will be other players that he wasn't willing to talk about at this time who may be on the move.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Beyond handedness, it's really just an inability to be the guy on a defensive pairing, and we already have at least two of those in Bogo/McCabe (and potentially a third in Risto).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Tough to tell from the context where he was still breaking down the need for a left shot, and then going into a need for a #1.

The exact quote thanks to miraculous DVR:

That quote makes it sound like he's looking for a top pairing lefty more than a generic "#1".

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
That quote makes it sound like he's looking for a top pairing lefty more than a generic "#1".

I think it's looking for a top pairing LHD, but going hand in hand with that is that anybody they get needs to be somebody that pushes other people down, not just another 2nd/3rd pairing that competes and gets forced up.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We do need a true #1. Ristolainen has the potential, but he obviously isn't ready for that work load yet, or at least wasn't last year. Could be next year.

His partner wasn't a top pairing guy, but #1s make their partner better.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you don't think he made Gorges better I don't know what to say. He dragged a flatly bad hockey player to respectability and managed to produce despite having an anchor around him and not getting anything like the zone starts or protection of guys who scored comparably. Guys like Ekblad play with good partners, start in the o zone a slanted amount of times and don't even have to Pk. Risto out pointed him despite starting in his own end more than any player in the league except Chara, is partnered with a rock and takes #1 PK duties. He also didn't get on the top pp for a couple of months to boot.

So...yeah.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
So it all comes back to wishing for Bob Murray to **** the bed and give us Lindholm? :D

I really think the guy is under appreciated by that organization. He had a rough start to this season, which we may have forgotten but maybe their management didn't. They may still see Fowler as their #1 d-man, and they had a top tier power play, thanks largely due to Vatanen on the back end of that. The fact that Vatanen is a righty also helps his case to be re-signed. The statement by Lindholm about waiting to see the team's offer, along with speculation that Murray may attempt to have Lindholm and Vatanen on qualifying offers for next year (hence susceptible to offer sheets), is also there.

None of this by itself is enough to say Anaheim would let Lindholm be deal/offer sheeted etc. but the combination of all of this, at least IMO makes it reasonable to speculate it could be a possibility.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If you don't think he made Gorges better I don't know what to say. He dragged a flatly bad hockey player to respectability and managed to produce despite having an anchor around him and not getting anything like the zone starts or protection of guys who scored comparably. Guys like Ekblad play with good partners, start in the o zone a slanted amount of times and don't even have to Pk. Risto out pointed him despite starting in his own end more than any player in the league except Chara, is partnered with a rock and takes #1 PK duties. He also didn't get on the top pp for a couple of months to boot.

So...yeah.
Ristolainen couldn't handle that heavy load. He shouldn't really be expected to at this point. Positives are he wasn't a disaster in that role and did show flashes of being able to handle it at times. He wore down.

No reason to believe he won't develop into that guy in the future.

I won't criticize Gorges to make a point about Risto. Risto had his own issues handling that heavy work load, which is understandable. He was 21 at the start of the season.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Risto has issues that he needs to work out, Gorges is not a bad player, he just doesn't belong anywhere near a top pairing yet was our best LHD which kinda forced Bylsma's hand a bit. Bogo should have been good enough to let Risto take a breather but he wasn't, that was the main problem imo.

Rasmus will be good, but I agree that playing top 10 minutes at the age of 21 might not be the best development season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Risto has issues that he needs to work out, Gorges is not a bad player, he just doesn't belong anywhere near a top pairing yet was our best LHD which kinda forced Bylsma's hand a bit. Bogo should have been good enough to let Risto take a breather but he wasn't, that was the main problem imo.

Rasmus will be good, but I agree that playing top 10 minutes at the age of 21 might not be the best development season.

Or it could be the best development season... Struggles aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I wish we had another decent stay at home LHD to pair with Bogosian. Probably would have helped him.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I mean, if it's not Lindholm, I don't know who it is. I'd do some bad, bad things for that kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad