Roster Speculation Pt. VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Considering that he already has one, that's not exactly an unreasonable stance on his part.

Sure it’s a reasonable ask but tying us down to a player like skinner for 8 years at 8-9 mill per is going to be a huge mistake. Carolina struggled to get rid of him and now with him being that close to home he won’t leave. So we better hope he keeps up this years level of production for another 8 years.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He spent a 2nd on Skinner. It’s not like he used the 2nd to draft amazing prospects like Karabacek or Cornel. The world doesn’t end if Skinner walks.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He spent a 2nd on Skinner. It’s not like he used the 2nd to draft amazing prospects like Karabacek or Cornel. The world doesn’t end if Skinner walks.
I don't see the importance of what it cost to get him. If we don't have Skinner on the roster next season, it is a considerable setback. The team needs more top 6 forwards, not fewer. If they are too far apart to make a deal, it is a seriously poor reflection on Botterill that he wasn't able to determine that before the deadline.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't see the importance of what it cost to get him. If we don't have Skinner on the roster next season, it is a considerable setback. The team needs more top 6 forwards, not fewer. If they are too far apart to make a deal, it is a seriously poor reflection on Botterill that he wasn't able to determine that before the deadline.

Whatever happens, if Skinner signs or not, Botts will need to continue to find top 6 talent.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Have accepted? Like gosh darn’t i Know he is bad, but somehow he is good? Confusing.

I’ve accepted that , this will be his ceiling as an NHL player meaning I am satisfied with his season despite the fact he is slumping like you insinuated and I put a lot of that on Housley because this loosing is affecting everyone literally

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

If only there was an example of a team that had a player like Skinner, and then got rid of him and found away to score more goals and get better.

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic. I would like Skinner back too. But you can't just pay everyone $1-$1.5 mil more than they are worth.

This team needs to do things right for once. That means not overpaying a UFA. Spend the next year sorting out who our young guys are who are worthy of big contracts and sign them to value deals. You won't hit on each one, but good organizations do this.

$8.5 + for Skinner? I like Skinner a lot, but honestly his overall performance this year isn't even worth that and he is having a career year. We may well regret such a contract before Christmas 2019.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I enjoy the cognitive dissonance of Skinner having a NTC that simultaneously allowed him to avoid being moved while at the same time meaning he wanted to stay with a non-playoff/Stanley Cup potential team over TRYING TO WIN THE CUP.

Culture. It doesn't just grow on the walls of the locker room by itself.

I'd love to see him re-sign at a non terrible deal, but Botts seems to be an expert at creating no leverage negotiations.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
If Skinner doesn't re-sign it will be a massive asset management failure by Botts. If there was any possibility in January that Skinner may walk Botts has to start obtaining offers for him that he could then present to Skinner and his agent. A good GM finds a way to move Skinner if he feels a contract extension is not a lock.

Now Skinner has all the leverage and Botts will be crucified if he lets him walk...Skinner will be signed, and the CAP hit 3-4 years from now number is going to be ugly.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If only there was an example of a team that had a player like Skinner, and then got rid of him and found away to score more goals and get better.

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic. I would like Skinner back too. But you can't just pay everyone $1-$1.5 mil more than they are worth.

This team needs to do things right for once. That means not overpaying a UFA. Spend the next year sorting out who our young guys are who are worthy of big contracts and sign them to value deals. You won't hit on each one, but good organizations do this.

$8.5 + for Skinner? I like Skinner a lot, but honestly his overall performance this year isn't even worth that and he is having a career year. We may well regret such a contract before Christmas 2019.
I didn't say anything about what to pay him. I said if Botterill can't get a deal done he hould have known that before the deadline. Unless he simply wasn't able to trade Skinner, it'd be a massive goof.

Reactions: Baccus

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I’ve accepted that , this will be his ceiling as an NHL player meaning I am satisfied with his season despite the fact he is slumping like you insinuated and I put a lot of that on Housley because this loosing is affecting everyone literally

That i insinuated? Your post was just confusing.

Don't worry I'm happy to directly tell you if i think an opinion is odd.

Which given your response, i will now do.

Does it seem odd to you, to decide that Reinhart's ceiling is 65 points and you have to accept that, as in there is some disappointment, at age 22-23?

I mean its your opinion and all, but the guy has consistently had production improvement year after year, and as you said the coach is special. Seems like an odd time to "accept" that a player just is who they are.

Little defensive friend.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I didn't say anything about what to pay him. I said if Botterill can't get a deal done he hould have known that before the deadline. Unless he simply wasn't able to trade Skinner, it'd be a massive goof.

The trade factor at the deadline seems like an interesting angle.

1980 layed out a reasonable group of possibilities that would alleviate management of some burden if a deal doesn't get done as to why a trade didn't happen, with an assumption that Botts doesn't/didn't misread contract deal before the deadline.

The opposite read could be that Skinner would obviously love a playoff chance, salary retained could make him fit in literally any playoff club. He has only been here for part of a season, is definitely renting and has no kids. A trade should be easy if Botts was ok with just getting something in return even if it was less than what he spent to get him.

It's entirely possible that Botts is just working him for a great deal, shaving a couple hundred k off. But from the outside Skinner has all the leverage and if they don't sign him, even if it's the right move over a huge overpay, that still doesn't change the fact that Botts has brought in zero longterm help at forward beside Mitts and Tage hopefully.

Trusting the process takes a lot of work.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Among other issues on this team, a huge one is the fact that they have two dmen, Dahlin and Montour, with any hockey sense. Add Pilut and that is 3 but they have a lot of work to do on the backend in that department.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The guy that is currently 23, improving in his play every year, and is having a good year statistically while playing for incompetent coaching and possibly out of position, is being accepted for this being his ceiling? And we’re supposed to take Reinhart being a 60-70 point player as a negative?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
That i insinuated? Your post was just confusing.

Don't worry I'm happy to directly tell you if i think an opinion is odd.

Which given your response, i will now do.

Does it seem odd to you, to decide that Reinhart's ceiling is 65 points and you have to accept that, as in there is some disappointment, at age 22-23?

I mean its your opinion and all, but the guy has consistently had production improvement year after year, and as you said the coach is special. Seems like an odd time to "accept" that a player just is who they are.

Little defensive friend.

I would love for him to be a 70 - 80 point player sure but I’m taking the safe way for now and saying 60 - 70. But he very well could reach that ceiling

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To be fair, based on the Eichel deal, i would expect him to just give Dahlin the user info for Pegula's bank account.

Which would be fine...

Oh, that's right... I forgot the Eichel contract in the realm of things he's done that I don't like. It's a mild dislike, but aggregating his body of work, I'd like to punch him in his big fat head.

Reactions: Baccus

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would love for him to be a 70 - 80 point player sure but I’m taking the safe way for now and saying 60 - 70. But he very well could reach that ceiling

Well hey if you want to upgrade his ceiling per year based on his results, that sounds fun.

It kinda of takes away from the predictive nature of the term, but i appreciate an open mind.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were advocating for paying him anything in particular. The first part of my post was in response to your statement that losing Skinner would be a considerable setback. I'm not so sure. That doesn't mean I don't want him back, but I'm not certain there aren't better ways to spend that money.

Brendan Gallagher has 3 more goals and 5 less points over the last two seasons than does Skinner. He is signed for the next two years at 3.75 million. We need to spend the next 2 years finding out who among our young wingers are going to be our Gallagher type players (in production if not in style) and get him/them signed to that kind of a value deal. Skinner at $8+ (my reference, not yours) is a bad contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad