TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My Plan (as of 2/22/19 at 1:30-ish)

Trade Deadline:

Out:

Beaulieau - Moved for an equivalent forward or even a prospect/pick at this point

Assuming Skinner is re-upping, you actively shop:

Pominville, Sobotka, Hunwick. These aren't going to be huge returns, but we could see something.

And listen to offers on pretty much the rest of the roster save for Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, and Mittelstadt. Be flexible and only move the pieces with max return. Other than Beaulieu, there aren't any malcontents or people that we HAVE to move. However, solid offers on Girgensons, Larsson, Sheary, Bogosian, etc are all listened to. We can't go into fire sale mode, but we can build up our futures. Listening on Risto too, but in a RHD for RHD kind of deal. Not taking on any marginal or bad contracts.

In:

You likely aren't doing a "hockey deal" today. You aren't getting any rentals. I think, if anything, we see reinforcements for Rochester's playoff run. We'll probably see some AHLers and spots opened up on the NHL side to get extended looks at a few guys.

Offseason:

Assuming our draft capital doesn't change that much (3 1sts, no additional picks), you probably want to:

Use the highest draft pick (ours)
Trade a draft pick for immediate help (think top pairing RHD or legit #1b center)
Use remaining 1st rounder as a BPA/Best Value pick. Ok to trade back for "by the numbers" over payment.

You look for 1 big fish via UFA (either #2C or RHD) as well as filling in gaps in forward depth created by TDL moves.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I expect that only Beaulieu will be dealt since he voiced his displeasure with his situation here.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
With Duchene in CBJ and them now having Dubois, Duchene and Jenner down the middle, I'm wondering if Wennberg might shake loose.

His contract is scary but he's also young and the kind of 2/3C tweener that could insulate Mittelstadt and turn into a 3C after that. Assuming he comes cheap enough, anybody interested?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
With Duchene in CBJ and them now having Dubois, Duchene and Jenner down the middle, I'm wondering if Wennberg might shake loose.

His contract is scary but he's also young and the kind of 2/3C tweener that could insulate Mittelstadt and turn into a 3C after that. Assuming he comes cheap enough, anybody interested?
Definitely.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

meh, kind of I guess. Not sure we need another perimeter, pass first type of center. Maybe he'd rebound away from Torts and fulfill his potential going forward, but that contract is risky for sure.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Offense:
I want improvements on Sobotka, Pominville & Okposo and I want a reliable middle six center.
If two of the above come from Rochester, fine. JB needs to get the other two before the season starts next year.

D - Meh, replace Scandella if possible or just move him down to sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. Hopefully Guhle can fill the void.
Also, the love of god, don't carry 8+ healthy dmen on the active roster.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sobotka doesn't even try anymore. Step one is addition by subtraction. Get him off this roster now. I'll worry about addressing the rest on Monday.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Definitely.

meh, kind of I guess. Not sure we need another perimeter, pass first type of center. Maybe he'd rebound away from Torts and fulfill his potential going forward, but that contract is risky for sure.
I'm thinking, like, REAL cheap. They're gonna want to resign Werenski and Duchene, possibly one or even both of Panarin and Bob, or players they aquire for those two. So getting 4.9 mill off the books for the next four years might be valuable enough to practically give Wennberg away.

They also need a depth LHD for the playoffs. We might have one of those.

Reactions: kundahlini

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd pass on Wennberg.

The Sabres don't need more overpaid guys on this roster.

They should wait and see if teams with cap issues like the Jets need to make moves this summer.

Roster crunch in Winny...we shake Lowry lose. Ultimate win.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Offense:
I want improvements on Sobotka, Pominville & Okposo and I want a reliable middle six center.
If two of the above come from Rochester, fine. JB needs to get the other two before the season starts next year.

D - Meh, replace Scandella if possible or just move him down to sheltered 3rd pairing minutes. Hopefully Guhle can fill the void.
Also, the love of god, don't carry 8+ healthy dmen on the active roster.

Scandella, Hunwick, Tennyson, Sobotka, Pominville for whatever you can get them. Okposo to the LTIR.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Gotta say as much as I've beat the drum for CJ Smith...I didn't even notice he was dressed last night lol. Maybe that's a conversation for line usage and Housley is obviously over his head...but I digress...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
How is Wennberg defensively? That caphit is relatively reasonable for a solid 3C, and will only get better over the life of the deal.

I know the goal scoring is abysmal, but he might be a great buy low if you can get him for a cheap rate.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
How is Wennberg defensively? That caphit is relatively reasonable for a solid 3C, and will only get better over the life of the deal.

I know the goal scoring is abysmal, but he might be a great buy low if you can get him for a cheap rate.
That's what I was thinking. He's a d first, pass first center who according to CBJ fans lacks the offensive chemistry necessary to be a #2 for them.

Don't see which available center on the Jets could be a solution for us at 2/3C. Lowry is nice, but at 2C?

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Gotta say as much as I've beat the drum for CJ Smith...I didn't even notice he was dressed last night lol. Maybe that's a conversation for line usage and Housley is obviously over his head...but I digress...
I tend to agree. I'm really not sure what to make of him yet. Playing with Sobotka and Thompson is basically a death sentence, but he sometimes looks small and weak.

Someone on this forum once said that he looks like someone's little brother that tried out for the team. I tend to agree with that assessment. That said, he needs to be given a better opportunity to show his stuff than he currently is. This coach needs to help the GM determine if he has a player in him or not.

Reactions: DJN21

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That's what I was thinking. He's a d first, pass first center who according to CBJ fans lacks the offensive chemistry necessary to be a #2 for them.

Don't see which available center on the Jets could be a solution for us at 2/3C. Lowry is nice, but at 2C?

Upside is he can function as the 3C when Mitts elevates his game and for now can create some offensive that Sobotka has made abundantly clear that he can’t.

Downside he gets even worse and you got another albatross around your neck.

Age is on his side.

Reactions: umbertovanek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: