Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Watching the Bruins was fantastic but also a reality check. It wasn’t the Bruins top players that handled the Leafs as much as it was the bottom 6 players like DeBrusk, Kuraly and Acciari. Fast, physical players who are relentless on the pursuit. We don’t have any of that. Or at least we have very light versions.

Reactions: Fearnot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Karlsson's gonna be terrible when his skating starts going IMO.

Skating goes for everyone, but defenders last. Keith is still a viable top 4. Numminen was a great bottom pair guy well after his prime. Karlsson can be the same.

Just don't go crazy with the contract. Which might be possible is Gronborg is around.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Does anyone know when the general fan mood shifted from "it's better for some short-term pain now for long-term excellence" to "uhhhh... we'd better figure this out quickly" ?

Reactions: sabremike

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Eichel and Reinhart have been good players, but I'm not convinced this is the level of production anyone would have gladly burned a team to the ground for, particularly Reinhart.

Reactions: joshjull

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Does anyone know when the general fan mood shifted from "it's better for some short-term pain now for long-term excellence" to "uhhhh... we'd better figure this out quickly" ?

After they finished 8th and drafted Nylander. Eichel had a couple years in the league, the rebuild was 'accelerated' but fell flat on its face. Then another 8th and a last by Botts completely turned the conversation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The short term has turned into a long-term? There has been no sustained internal improvement in almost 5 years doing it the way they have? That last year when they won the lottery it looked like they could have a franchise center, a Selke caliber second line center, and their franchise defensemen all at once? Running Disco out of town after a disappointing season, it’s been followed up by two that were even worse. And seeing other teams go from finishing poorly making some astute personnel changes both on the ice and behind the bench quickly return to at least competitive play - all this has burned off most people’s patience.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Still trying to find a good idea for who can play tough defensive minutes next year. Whether we keep Risto or not, it shouldn't be him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Eichel and Reinhart have been good players, but I'm not convinced this is the level of production anyone would have gladly burned a team to the ground for, particularly Reinhart.

Their first 3 years:
upload_2019-4-25_10-12-25.png

Last year alone:
upload_2019-4-25_10-13-16.png

One was billed as franchising changing player.... the other was a #2 overall pick....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Is Gudas that guy though? At least in Philly he's not being used that way. His deployment might usually be in the defensive zone, but Provorov is playing the other team's top lines.

Philadelphia Flyers Player Usage Chart | leftwinglock.com

It's close enough, Philly deploys a top line they want matched up (Couturier) so when it's best on best, it's not surprising to have Provorov getting ozone best on best matchups.

upload_2019-4-25_10-27-5.png

upload_2019-4-25_10-27-34.png

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Looking at player usage charts around the league, and seeing how Hammer is still being used, and how he is still effective in that roll... really reignites my annoyance that we were seemingly not in on that trade at all. What a perfect fit he would be.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Their first 3 years:
View attachment 220857

Last year alone:
View attachment 220859

One was billed as franchising changing player.... the other was a #2 overall pick....

Those are standard deviation charts. Last year it shows Eichel as more of an impact player than Reinhart. 1.5 sigma - .9 sigma =\= .6 sigma. The magnitude of Eichels OGx accounting for DGx is better than Reinharts.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Can I interest anyone in Ryan Murray. He's been on my radar for a couple years and it looks like at least this past year he was situation in a fairly defense-heavy role, and has held his own. I wonder what the asking price would be.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Can I interest anyone in Ryan Murray. He's been on my radar for a couple years and it looks like at least this past year he was situation in a fairly defense-heavy role, and has held his own. I wonder what the asking price would be.

I'd have to think Murray would be expensive. Trading with Columbus will be weird until they clarify what their strategy is after the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad