Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I like Tanev better than Copp, and Tanev only costs money while Copp would cost money and a 2nd rounder if we went the OS route. I'd much rather pursue legitimate top-6 forwards - and **** the Leafs in the process - by hitting them with an OS on Johnsson or Kapanen.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Firstly, Nelson will likely sign for more than 5.5 per year, especially if it's in Buffalo.

Next, I don't think he'd be close to the player here that you describe in your last sentence.

Lastly, this is the kind of contract teams grow to regret.

He may cost more then 5.5 to come to this horrid location but he is not getting 7 mil per. 6 is likely his high end.

And Nelson some how if given decent ice time and line mates wouldn't come close to scoring 20-25 goals and 55 points even though he has scored 19+ goals the last 5 years straight including 2 25+ goal seasons. He finally got more then 15:30 a game in ice time and scored 53 points. Has been damn good this post season and has 2 of the 4 GWG for the Isles.

Moulson
Okposo

Now Nelson... nope.. done with the Islanders player experiment

Because he plays for the Isles that automatically disqualifies him? Nelson didn't get to get carried by Tavares. He is a 20-25 goal scorer on his own getting 16 minutes a game. Nelson is nothing like Moulson or Okposo.

Good luck finding a quality 2C without either trading several assets, several mil per in cap space or both. 7 mil for Hayes is applauded around here but a hypothetical 5.5 for Nelson is somehow Moulson 2.0

Nelson is a very good skater and fast. Moulson and Okposo are very slow and are horrible skaters. Nelson is not a star but please, he is easily the 2C on this roster and would be the 4th best forward. This team had 3 forwards who scored 20g and 50+ points. And that will go down to 2 when Skinner likely walks. Nelson did both. Oh and his zone starts are skewed heavily in the DZ. He only has 1 season in his career where he received more ozs then dzs, so it cannot be said that Nelson is only productive due to linemates, deployment or PP.

100 of the 123 career goals Nelson has are at ES. He has 5 straight 19+ goal seasons. He had never gotten 16 minutes a game prior to this season. A fast good skating 2C who will score you 20 goals and 50 points mainly at ES is clearly not needed :sarcasm:

Pickings are slim in free agency, unless you think we somehow can convince Matt Duchene to sign here (while paying him 9+ per). 5.5 per for 20-25 goals at center is fine. Does not even come close to Okposo. 5.5 per in 19-20 is far more affordable then 6.0 per in 16-17.

When you have literally 2 20 goal scorers under contract for next season it is pretty comical to turn your nose up at one who would only cost cap and not assets. Nelsons skating ability means he will continue to score 20-25 goals a season for the next half decade. Okposo and Moulson hit a brick wall in their early 30s because they are awful skaters.

And Kevin Hayes at 7 per is not a better option then Nelson for 1.5 mil per less. They are nearly identical production wise. Both have their first 50+ point seasons this past year. Hayes has 1 20+ goal season and Nelson has 4. They are a year apart. Hayes has size, Nelson has speed. We shall see though if Nelson continues to have a quality post season I doubt the Isles let him walk.

Reactions: Mitts888

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Brock Nelson before Barry Trotz:
534b71c2b7.png

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Duchene, Hayes or Nelson. I hope Botterill throws a fishing rod for some of them, I do not want to see again Sobotka playing 2C. Maybe Wild Bill will be available in Vegas.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I think we'd all enjoy it for the year where Scandella or Sobotka would've been on our books. The real question is how we'll feel about it if he continues to be a 5-10 goal, 30-35 point center at nearly $5M per for three more years after we would've been rid of Scandella's or Sobotka's contract.
You pay a late round pick to give the guy a spin for a year. He's shown the ability in the past, he's still young. If he shows he can be a 2/3C again, you got a player for cheap. If not, you buy him out for a low amount.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

This is a player I could get behind paying above market value to on a mid-term (3-4 years) deal.

Instant upgrade to the bottom six. Fills a role. Shouldn't be a crippling cap number.

Perrault seems like the easier depth wing to get out of the Jets. I'm sure they see the value Copp brings and will be making others moves to lighten their salary structure to continue to accommodate him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So what your saying is that we will trade a 3rd round pick for some middling 6th/7th defenseman and call it a day? Cool!

Considering he sent two defensemen who played regular shifts for playoff teams -- one of which is still alive -- for a 6th and a 7th, perhaps he might aim to use that trio of 6ths in a better fashion.

By any means necessary Botts has to find a legit 2c in the off season ..

"Legit" legit? Or Botterill-thinks-he's-legit?

Reactions: slip

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

Does anyone else feel hopeful some GM's are gonna make some desperate/stupid moves and get rid of quality players that we can take advantage of?

Reactions: Mitts888

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The odds a pretty high that Botts acquires Eakins along with some other Hunwick like dump from Vegas... right?

I already hate it ;)

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Does anyone else feel hopeful some GM's are gonna make some desperate/stupid moves and get rid of quality players that we can take advantage of?

No.
We are the team with the desperate and stupid GM.

This. What is the gambling analogy? That if you can’t identify the mark in the room, you are the mark? Botts is the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad