Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
If we were ever to play Boston in game 7, we’re totally ****ed with him.

That aside, he isn’t really what we need on the left side.

At the right price for Gardiner and we trade away Scandella.

Dahlin - Montour
Gardiner - Risto
Pilut - Nelson/Bogo
McCabe

Don't think we trade Risto given the Bogo hip surgery. RHD are too hard to replace.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the right price for Gardiner and we trade away Scandella.

Dahlin - Montour
Gardiner - Risto
Pilut - Nelson/Bogo
McCabe

Don't think we trade Risto given the Bogo hip surgery. RHD are too hard to replace.

UFA and “right price” don’t usually mix.

Reactions: Rasmi

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Looking at Gardiner's usage in Toronto, it seems he played more of a defensive role, at least compared to other players on the team. Are his defensive chops good enough that him and some other acquired defensive dman could play the shutdown pairing?

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Risto
Gardiner-X

?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Looking at Gardiner's usage in Toronto, it seems he played more of a defensive role, at least compared to other players on the team. Are his defensive chops good enough that him and some other acquired defensive dman could play the shutdown pairing?

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Risto
Gardiner-X

?
Let's put it this way. Here in Toronto they referred to Gardiner as "The Gardiner Expressway" (the highway in Downtown Toronto) because he was so easy to pass by. He had another Game 7 giveaway last night to cost them a goal.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Let's put it this way. Here in Toronto they referred to Gardiner as "The Gardiner Expressway" (the highway in Downtown Toronto) because he was so easy to pass by. He had another Game 7 giveaway last night to cost them a goal.

I don't recall the turnover and this point isn't specifically about Gardner, but there's probably about 5 defensemen in the league that are both 1) deployed in defensive heavy roles, AND 2) that the majority of fans are really happy with their play.

When you have to play a lot of minutes against elite forwards, you're not going to look good. The highest tier of forwards in the game are just too damn good at causing turnovers and making defensemen look bad. That's why I think coaches that create those extreme roles are stupid.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Gardiner is a good puck moving guy, he doesn't have high end defensive skills. The leaf posters are prone to, shall we say, moments of exaggeration; he's not as bad as they say.

Reactions: DatGuy

Deleted member 27798

Am I the only person who wants to see what Risto could do at RW?
I would have loved to see this last season especially when the season began to go south, but you'd have to have Risto embrace it. Now, the ship has sailed, I'm all aboard the trade Risto bandwagon.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Skinner walks I hope there is a contingency plan. Someone like Kessel. I doubt he would come here but if he would waive his NTC and the cost isn't much at all then he would be a good target. Whatever ends up happening with Skinner, we must use the ~8 mil earmarked for him on another 1st line forward. I am sure there will be a few big $ contracts of top line players that could be available this summer.

This should be an exciting summer. Botts knows its either playoffs or the unemployment line. I expect a lot of turnover on the roster. I only want to see about half the 23 man roster to be here next year.

Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Mitts, Sheary, ERod, Nylander, Olofsson,Dahlin,Risto,Montour,Pilut,Ullmark/Hutton.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I still think Nylander is gone this offseason. I can't imagine he or the Nylander Camp is okay with another season in Rochester, especially with the shit being spewed on social media about his injury right now. I believe he's gone at or before the draft.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I still think Nylander is gone this offseason. I can't imagine he or the Nylander Camp is okay with another season in Rochester, especially with the **** being spewed on social media about his injury right now. I believe he's gone at or before the draft.

What’s being said about his injury? I’m on full no twitter mode until after I see Avengers this weekend lol

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I still think Nylander is gone this offseason. I can't imagine he or the Nylander Camp is okay with another season in Rochester, especially with the **** being spewed on social media about his injury right now. I believe he's gone at or before the draft.

Agree with this. I think he's moved, as he's not a Botterill pick, plays a bit too soft, and had a decent uptick in performance at the end of the season. I hope he's moved for a defender. Someone like Brodin.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What’s being said about his injury? I’m on full no twitter mode until after I see Avengers this weekend lol

The Amerks fans who never particularly liked him in the first place are seizing on his inability to play, calling him soft, suggesting he doesn't want to play or isn't really badly injured, using this as a reason to want him gone, etc. I can't imagine he and his camp aren't aware of it. I think there may be a mutual wish to go separate ways after this season. It'll be interesting to see if Botts moves him in a prospect-for-prospect swap (Pulju? Juolevi?), or packages him with other players/picks.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Amerks fans who never particularly liked him in the first place are seizing on his inability to play, calling him soft, suggesting he doesn't want to play or isn't really badly injured, using this as a reason to want him gone, etc. I can't imagine he and his camp aren't aware of it. I think there may be a mutual wish to go separate ways after this season. It'll be interesting to see if Botts moves him in a prospect-for-prospect swap (Pulju? Juolevi?), or packages him with other players/picks.

He's going to be traded because of AHL twitter trolls? That's low rent.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

In a package for Chris Kreider, perhaps?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Gardiner is a good puck moving guy, he doesn't have high end defensive skills. The leaf posters are prone to, shall we say, moments of exaggeration; he's not as bad as they say.
That is what Gardiner is. A good puck moving dman that can put up 50 points. But the posters thinking he can be a shutdown defensive dman or barking up the wrong tree.

Outside the UFA price tag on him, his back injury is very concerning.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, assume Gronborg is the next HC. Would Karlsson come?

Ownership? Check (remember, he was used to dealing with Melnyk)
Only Swedish HC in the league? Check
Young, generational Swedish talent? Check
Roster and organization full of Swedes? Check

I think Karlsson will age well. His mind will never go. I can see him as a viable NHL defenseman until he's 40. Just have to make sure we don't break the bank for him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So, assume Gronborg is the next HC. Would Karlsson come?

Ownership? Check (remember, he was used to dealing with Melnyk)
Only Swedish HC in the league? Check
Young, generational Swedish talent? Check
Roster and organization full of Swedes? Check

I think Karlsson will age well. His mind will never go. I can see him as a viable NHL defenseman until he's 40. Just have to make sure we don't break the bank for him.

Karlsson's gonna be terrible when his skating starts going IMO.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I haven't seen the guy skate like he wasn't severely injured in like 3 years, it'd be scary to give him a big contract, even though he's one of my favorites.

Yeah, that's what has me thinking he won't age gracefully. We've seen him looking rough trying to skate through injuries the last few years. When he loses a step to age, it's not gonna be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad