Roster Speculation Pt. 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I just don't think Hutton goes anywhere. and they ride out the deal.

Not the choice I'd make, but it's what I expect.
The eye issue which surfaced at the end of the year was corrected. Did that play a role in posters' thoughts on keeping/not keeping him for the year left on his contract?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Reinhart, Montour AND Mitts for Monahan?

I really like Monahan but that seems a lot to give up.

Getting him would also make the need to resign Larsson or an adequate replacement doubly important. If neither of your top 2 centres are capable of any type of heavy lifting defensively, we better make sure we have at least one guy who excels there.

Ultimately if I felt there was no other option I'd pull the trigger. Monahan has a nice contract & without the big RFAs to sign we'd still have a lot of free space to work with.

I feel Reinhart and Montour for Monahan is a good deal... don't think Mitts needs to be thrown in there.

Reactions: Mitts888

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Man, I am torn a bit on the proper road map.

On one hand, we've got a ticking time bomb of the Jack Eichel NMC and him being unhappy with losing. The fan base is out of patience.

On the other, we've got a depleted prospect/pick pool. The D pipeline looks OK, the F pipeline looks pretty bare after Cozens in terms of top 9 forwards. We aren't swimming in assets to make acquisitions.

In an "ideal" world, we can play a lot of small ball this year. Keep 8th overall, keep Cozens, maximize assets and avoid long term cap entanglements, all while adding:

3-4 Middle 6 forwards
1 top 4 LHD
1B goalie

While being probably at bottom 5 destination for UFAs.

Can you go "all in" with a core of players that's never gone over 80 pts in a season?

reality check is need here.....

What does Buffalo have in their current system

top 6 llocks --Skinner, Rei nhart, Eichel, Cozens
top 9 locks-- Kahun, Thompson, Olofsson, Mitts, MoJo
top 9 potential--Ruoats, Pekar, Asplund

Top 4 D--Dahlin, Joki, Risto, McCabe, Montour
top 6 D--Samuelson, Johnson,Borgen,Laaksonen,
top 6 potential-Bryson, Fitzgerals

Buffalo has unsigned draft picks.

the team does not need 3-6 middle six forwards,

they need to fill out the boittom part of forwards who might play top 9 or play 4th line.

team needs a LD --trade Miller for one.
they need a 2C

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I feel Reinhart and Montour for Monahan is a good deal... don't think Mitts needs to be thrown in there.

Rei nhart and Monahan are very close. I can see Mitts and Montour being inccluded but I see other things coming back in the trade fro Calgary where the salaries balance out

Kylington, Monahan+ young winger under 24 for Reinhart, Montour, Mitts.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
reality check is need here.....

What does Buffalo have in their current system

top 6 llocks --Skinner, Rei nhart, Eichel, Cozens
top 9 locks-- Kahun, Thompson, Olofsson, Mitts, MoJo
top 9 potential--Ruoats, Pekar, Asplund

Top 4 D--Dahlin, Joki, Risto, McCabe, Montour
top 6 D--Samuelson, Johnson,Borgen,Laaksonen,
top 6 potential-Bryson, Fitzgerals

Buffalo has unsigned draft picks.

the team does not need 3-6 middle six forwards,

they need to fill out the boittom part of forwards who might play top 9 or play 4th line.

team needs a LD --trade Miller for one.
they need a 2C

Cozens is not a top 6 lock.

Mittelstadt is not a top 9 lock
Thompson is not a top 9 lock
Kahun is probably a top 9 forward, but he's behind 3 LWers on the depth chart (Oloffson/Skinner/Johanssen)

McCabe is not a top 4 D. He's a bottom pairing/7th d-man on a good team.

The depth chart looks like:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-XXXX-XXXXX
Johanssen-XXXX-XXXX
Kahun-XXXX-Okposo
Lazar

Dahlin-Montour
XXXX-Jokiharju
McCabe-Risto
Miller

Ullmark
XXXXX

If we go into next season and add:

2C
bottom pairing LHD

And rely on Cozens, Mittelstadt, Thompson to fill out the middle part of the lineup, we're setting ourselves up for a repeat of last year. Sure, one of them MIGHT be good enough for the NHL next year, and if that happens, great.

Plan that they won't be. The only player who has done well in the AHL of that group is Thompson, who is coming off of major surgery + rehab. Mittelstadt has not shown he can play at the NHL level or even AHL level at this point. Cozens has never played a NHL or AHL game. To assume they are making the next step after what, 8 months away from professional hockey (over a year for Thompson) would be foolish.

I think you can probably leave 1 RW slot available and hope one of Thompson/Cozens grabs the spot. If not, you can put Lazar/Okposo in there for filler while you shop for a full time player.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Getting him would also make the need to resign Larsson or an adequate replacement doubly important. If neither of your top 2 centres are capable of any type of heavy lifting defensively, we better make sure we have at least one guy who excels there.

Ultimately if I felt there was no other option I'd pull the trigger. Monahan has a nice contract & without the big RFAs to sign we'd still have a lot of free space to work with.

I've got a more detailed version of what I'd do:

Trade 1 (pre-draft): Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Montour to Calgary for Monahan, Bennett, 2020 2nd.

Trade 2 (pre-draft): Miller and Asplund to New Jersey for Wood and 2020 3rd (85th overall).

Trade 3 (draft): 2020 2nd (38), 2021 1st (top 10 protected) to Winnipeg for 10th overall, 2020. (Willing to throw in the 2021 2nd to make this work)

Trade 4 (draft): 2020 3rd (85th overall) and 2020 4th (100th overall) to trade back into the 2nd round (value says it should be pick 32 and 33, but it won't be that high).

Draft:
8th overall: Lundell
10th overall: Sanderson
Mid to late 2nd: Tuch

Re-sign RFAs, Larsson, and Girgensons. Sign Pysyk and Merrill.

Opening Night
Skinner - Eichel - Johansson
Wood - Monahan - Olofsson
Bennett - Cozens - Kahun
Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo
x Thompson, Lazar

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Merrill - Ristolainen
McCabe - Psysk
x Borgen

Ullmark, Hutton

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

is Pysyk a NHL D-man at this point? He barely got any time on a pretty average blueline in Florida and they even tried him at forward. I haven't been following him a ton, but he'd be an OK pickup for a 7th d-man, not sure he carries a ton of value at this point though

Also, Girgesons and Larsson need to want to come back. Not sure if either them do.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I have no desire to move Okposo. He did really well in his role this year. Hutton, while he might be a great guy, does not seem to instill confidence in his team. I also highly doubt, Linus is going to go out and say "f this guy, he can't stop a beach ball let alone see one"
No desire to move Okposo?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
is Pysyk a NHL D-man at this point? He barely got any time on a pretty average blueline in Florida and they even tried him at forward. I haven't been following him a ton, but he'd be an OK pickup for a 7th d-man, not sure he carries a ton of value at this point though

Also, Girgesons and Larsson need to want to come back. Not sure if either them do.

I don't disagree on any of it. I think there are replacements in free agency who could play for a year without breaking the bank. Or fleeting up Ruotsalainen, for example.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
All these trade ideas are cool. Seems like a good off-season to make some swaps. But in all seriousness, does the Sabres organization currently employ a single person who has ever made an NHL trade? I don't think they do! Maybe they should tackle that problem before they get to the point where they want to make a deal and suddenly realize they have no idea how to actually execute it.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
All these trade ideas are cool. Seems like a good off-season to make some swaps. But in all seriousness, does the Sabres organization currently employ a single person who has ever made an NHL trade? I don't think they do! Maybe they should tackle that problem before they get to the point where they want to make a deal and suddenly realize they have no idea how to actually execute it.

You're overthinking it, bro. You just write names on a napkin until both sides agree on the names -- not that hard.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
You're overthinking it, bro. You just write names on a napkin until both sides agree on the names -- not that hard.
After the trade has been done you realize it says Thompson instead of Thomas and that someone has written Sobotka and Berglund on the back of the napkin.
A couple of years later you fold the napkin into a dove and set it free through the window. Maybe someone with a snot bubble on their face will finally find a use for it?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
To the Monahan fans- what separates him from Reinhart? Seriously, how are their games different in any way outside of position? Monahan the better scorer, Reinhart the better passer, I think, but otherwise.. feels like we’re pining for a guy extremely similar to the skilled forward most wanted outta town- I value Reinhart’s game, personally, but don’t think we should overpay for more of the same, for a dude on Gaudreau’s coattails. Monahan is overvalued AF imo and will pull a Leino-lite should he come to Buffalo. That’s a bit much, I know, but I think we’d be overpaying for another guy who looks lost without a supporting cast. So what do people see in him? Why do you think he’d work?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To the Monahan fans- what separates him from Reinhart? Seriously, how are their games different in any way outside of position? Monahan the better scorer, Reinhart the better passer, I think, but otherwise.. feels like we’re pining for a guy extremely similar to the skilled forward most wanted outta town- I value Reinhart’s game, personally, but don’t think we should overpay for more of the same, for a dude on Gaudreau’s coattails. Monahan is overvalued AF imo and will pull a Leino-lite should he come to Buffalo. That’s a bit much, I know, but I think we’d be overpaying for another guy who looks lost without a supporting cast. So what do people see in him? Why do you think he’d work?

I think this breaks down all the positives and negatives with Monahan and how to best utilize him on the Sabres.

As far as Reinhart vs Monahan goes, the biggest issue is that the Sabres need an upgrade at 2C and they are unwilling to try and play Reinhart in that spot. Much to the frustration of so many Sabres fans.

Add in the uncertainty of Reinhart's contract demands and I can understand why some people would be open to a deal that centers around Reinhart for Monahan.

I don't believe there is any chance that Monahan is anything like Leino here. And if he gets fed a lot of OZ starts and has Skinner on one wing and a defensively responsible guy on the other, he will put up points. Especially if they find a spot for him on 1PP.

He is bad defensively. But, I do think that he should put up points.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I think this breaks down all the positives and negatives with Monahan and how to best utilize him on the Sabres.

As far as Reinhart vs Monahan goes, the biggest issue is that the Sabres need an upgrade at 2C and they are unwilling to try and play Reinhart in that spot. Much to the frustration of so many Sabres fans.

Add in the uncertainty of Reinhart's contract demands and I can understand why some people would be open to a deal that centers around Reinhart for Monahan.

I don't believe there is any chance that Monahan is anything like Leino here. And if he gets fed a lot of OZ starts and has Skinner on one wing and a defensively responsible guy on the other, he will put up points. Especially if they find a spot for him on 1PP.

He is bad defensively. But, I do think that he should put up points.

Thanks, that helps. I just wonder if we wouldn’t get 90% of that production with a guy like Turris centering Skinner, and with how much cheaper Turris would be.. cap becomes a concern, but if possible id rather re-sign Reino (we need skill and scoring) and take Turris for virtually nothing. And ya, the Leino thing is overstating it, but I just mean that degree of disappointment. Like, “ah we have the thing! ..the thing isn’t what we thought it was.” Because my worst fear is that Monahan is an 80 point guy in a great situation (1st line with Gaudreau) and a 45 point guy in a bad one (current Sabres roster). If he and Skinner proved to be fire together I’d happily eat that crow, but if there isn’t chemistry.. we just paid a shit ton for a big problem.

All that also ignores the fact that we shoulda probably tried Sam at 2C at some point. JFC, this team.. like it’s a bit late now, but that woulda been an innovative solution. Play the drafted center at center for 20 games, bring in a winger because we need that anyways, and see how things go. Because I’m really not convinced Monahan is better than Reino in the 2c role, and the fact that we don’t know that.. jfc, this team.

Edit- also, if Monahan’s D is an issue, why exactly don’t we like Domi again? If he could be had for the 1st rounder- done, that’s the deal. Otherwise we’re looking at Reinhart, Montour, and maybe Mitts for one player? Y’all know we’re kinda lacking NHL-level players Right now, right?

Last edited:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm good with paying to get Monahan. He fixes a big problem going forward. You can find wingers, in the right aptitudes. He also will immediately help Skinner regardless of what line he plays on.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

yeah might as well ask for Pat Kane for that package. Or the way Rutherford trades, Malkin.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I've got a more detailed version of what I'd do:

Trade 1 (pre-draft): Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Montour to Calgary for Monahan, Bennett, 2020 2nd.

Trade 2 (pre-draft): Miller and Asplund to New Jersey for Wood and 2020 3rd (85th overall).

Trade 3 (draft): 2020 2nd (38), 2021 1st (top 10 protected) to Winnipeg for 10th overall, 2020. (Willing to throw in the 2021 2nd to make this work)

Trade 4 (draft): 2020 3rd (85th overall) and 2020 4th (100th overall) to trade back into the 2nd round (value says it should be pick 32 and 33, but it won't be that high).

Draft:
8th overall: Lundell
10th overall: Sanderson
Mid to late 2nd: Tuch

Opening Night
Skinner - Eichel - Johansson
Wood - Monahan - Olofsson
Bennett - Cozens - Kahun
Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo
x Thompson, Lazar

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Merrill - Ristolainen
McCabe - Psysk
x Borgen

Ullmark, Hutton

Trade 2 why not just Miller for wood.

No team touches trade 3.

Trade 4.. a 3 and 4 might get you a low 2 like 60. You aren’t getting a low 30s pick.

Not resigning Pysyk. I don’t care for bonnet

In valgsty trade you coukd get Kyllingyon a LD backand just use Zbotbrh for RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad