Roster Speculation part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
CBJ released Stoll from his PTO. Any interest in seeing him on a 2-way deal to try and hold down the 4C position or do you think we have enough of that in Grant and COR?

At this point, I don't think there's any real need. Jame may feel differently. :laugh:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
CBJ released Stoll from his PTO. Any interest in seeing him on a 2-way deal to try and hold down the 4C position or do you think we have enough of that in Grant and COR?

If we were going to go a route like that I reckon RI hards, gaustad, legwand etc would've had offers from us. I'd take an easy pass on stoll at this point.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If we were going to go a route like that I reckon RI hards, gaustad, legwand etc would've had offers from us. I'd take an easy pass on stoll at this point.

A line of Stoll, Gaustad and Deslauriers would be Corsi heaven. :heart:
:sarcasm:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
A line of Stoll, Gaustad and Deslauriers would be Corsi heaven. :heart:
:sarcasm:

No one mentioned adding 2 of 3 which is asinine considering 2 are centers...moulson will play a ton of time on our 4th line as is so it's gonna be a corsi bumper fire regardless bit at least ONE of stoll, Richards or gaustad could win draws and take those defensive minutes off ror...

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
No one mentioned adding 2 of 3 which is asinine considering 2 are centers...moulson will play a ton of time on our 4th line as is so it's gonna be a corsi bumper fire regardless bit at least ONE of stoll, Richards or gaustad could win draws and take those defensive minutes off ror...

How about Rinaldo? He's a winger.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I have more of an opinion question and not putting much stock in the Sabres picking up Fowler. But IF that were to happen, does anyone have an opinion on if that puts more pressure on 55 to sign?

We would have to clear some space obviously to accomidate both contracts, but in my mind, it keeps Franson off the ice where he belongs.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I have more of an opinion question and not putting much stock in the Sabres picking up Fowler. But IF that were to happen, does anyone have an opinion on if that puts more pressure on 55 to sign?

We would have to clear some space obviously to accomidate both contracts, but in my mind, it keeps Franson off the ice where he belongs.

I doubt it. I think both want to getit done and I think they will in the next week. Fowler pipe dreams won't affect that.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I would think bringing in a bigger contract like that might sour the conversations with Risto actually.

Right now, we have the space to potentially give him the money he wants/feels he deserves. Bringing in Fowler is basically saying "there's absolutely no chance of you making more than 5.5 per (or however much we'd have left)... so sign at that price, or don't sign at all". I don't think either side would appreciate anyone forcing hands like that.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I would think bringing in a bigger contract like that might sour the conversations with Risto actually.

Right now, we have the space to potentially give him the money he wants/feels he deserves. Bringing in Fowler is basically saying "there's absolutely no chance of you making more than 5.5 per (or however much we'd have left)... so sign at that price, or don't sign at all". I don't think either side would appreciate anyone forcing hands like that.

I think it would put pressure on management to get him signed. You commit resources to Khulikov, Okposo, and then Fowler only to let your best D get wrapped up in an extended contract dispute? Would be a bad look for the org.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's probably been said, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are giving Girgensons some good center minutes in the preseason to showcase for other teams.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Just because you won't get full value, doesn't mean the value falls off a cliff.

Even if they would get rid of him for Girgs, another team would bid higher for him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They're in a bind, they won't get full value for Fowler unless some GM doesn't understand leverage.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-i...ddy-in-trade-with-chicago-blackhawks/c-732999

There's "not full value" and then there's "Fowler for Girgensons straight up".

You can't use the Leddy trade as a comparable here. Leddy was still mainly potential when he was traded from Chicago to NYI, so obviously the price was lower.

It wasn't until Leddy skated on the Island that he became a legit top 4 defenseman.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Is O'reilly suspended for the first game ? Haven't seen any mention of it lately.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd do Girgensons for Fowler, ANA has no leverage - would not give them more.

Leverage is overstated most of the time. First off, you have to understand that GM's are human. Humans tend to not be rational 100% of the time, so even if they are in a situation where selling Fowler low to ease their cap situation is the best move, which is likely not true if we're talking about a straight up swap for Girgensons, their Murray may not do that. GM's don't like getting ripped off. They can be stubborn. There are other moves that could theoretically be made, even if the moves are worse for them in the grand scheme, which probably isn't the case.

Another way leverage is overstated is that people talk about it while ignoring supply and demand. Do you think the Buffalo Sabres are the only team interested in Fowler? Of course not. Therefore, you are not just bidding against what the Ducks are willing to give take for Fowler, but what other teams are willing to give up for Fowler. If Buffalo is offering Girgensons and another team is offering something better, the spot the Ducks are in becomes completely irrelevant.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Leverage is overstated most of the time. First off, you have to understand that GM's are human. Humans tend to not be rational 100% of the time, so even if they are in a situation where selling Fowler low to ease their cap situation is the best move, which is likely not true if we're talking about a straight up swap for Girgensons, their Murray may not do that. GM's don't like getting ripped off. They can be stubborn. There are other moves that could theoretically be made, even if the moves are worse for them in the grand scheme, which probably isn't the case.

Another way leverage is overstated is that people talk about it while ignoring supply and demand. Do you think the Buffalo Sabres are the only team interested in Fowler? Of course not. Therefore, you are not just bidding against what the Ducks are willing to give take for Fowler, but what other teams are willing to give up for Fowler. If Buffalo is offering Girgensons and another team is offering something better, the spot the Ducks are in becomes completely irrelevant.

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-i...ddy-in-trade-with-chicago-blackhawks/c-732999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad