Roster Speculation part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Chicago apparently made an offer at 12:01. That's according to Dater though so who knows.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Chicago apparently made an offer at 12:01. That's according to Dater though so who knows.

If I had to guess, a few teams did. Its not like the contract is going to be complicated.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's certainly a legit concern. But I think taking Risto away from the top defensive matchup would enable him to be more effective defensively and could cover for McCabe. Plus playing with McCabe takes a ton of pressure off Risto to bring all the offense for his pairing. Which would be the case if he played with Gorges. Bascially those two (McCabe/RIsto) could be effective by attacking a lot more than a Gorges/Risto pairing.

I'm kind of intrigued by combining both your (jaeger) ideas...

I'm not sold on McCabe yet... and I'd be very hesitant to try this... but like I said... intrigued.... take Jaeger's suggestion of role/usage, but with this top 4....

McCabe-Risto - reduced d zone starts along with a flattening of QOC with the other pair, more offensive usage/starts
Kulikov-Bogo - more d zone starts, more matchups than the typical 2nd pair

its kind of going back to the Lindy Ruff approach to D pairs with Kulikov-Bogo in the Lydallinder role, and McRisto in the Spacampbel role....

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I wonder if we can claim that 12:01 EST is 11:01 PM CST, so they made an offer to him on the 15th :laugh:

12:01 AM EST on the 16th is actually 11:01 PM EDT on the 15th.

We're currently on Daylight Time, not Standard Time.

If they actually made an offer at 12:01 EST, that would actually have been before midnight local time.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
12:01 AM EST on the 16th is actually 11:01 PM EDT on the 15th.

We're currently on Daylight Time, not Standard Time.

If they actually made an offer at 12:01 EST, that would actually have been before midnight local time.

Which is fine because it is based on league time (aka New York time).

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Which is fine because it is based on league time (aka New York time).

Yes, I know that.

I was pointing out that if the Hawks really made an offer at "12:01 EST" as TehDoak wrote, that offer would be illegal since that time would be before midnight local time in New York (which is league time).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yes, I know that.

I was pointing out that if the Hawks really made an offer at "12:01 EST" as TehDoak wrote, that offer would be illegal since that time would be before midnight local time in New York (which is league time).

Oh right...carry on.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm kind of intrigued by combining both your (jaeger) ideas...

I'm not sold on McCabe yet... and I'd be very hesitant to try this... but like I said... intrigued.... take Jaeger's suggestion of role/usage, but with this top 4....

McCabe-Risto - reduced d zone starts along with a flattening of QOC with the other pair, more offensive usage/starts
Kulikov-Bogo - more d zone starts, more matchups than the typical 2nd pair

its kind of going back to the Lindy Ruff approach to D pairs with Kulikov-Bogo in the Lydallinder role, and McRisto in the Spacampbel role....

jj: As much as I'd like to see Ristolainen with Kulikov (or Brodin, Edler, Scandella, Enstrom, etc), putting him with McCabe could work the way you and jame suggest - with the flattening of QOC and more OZS.

McCabe - Ristolainen
Kulikov - Bogosian
Gorges - Franson (Ristolainen late in games)

Insert Nelson for Franson once he's moved at the TDL.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Yes, I know that.

Not trying to totally derail the thread but it's the other way around.

Standard time is behind daylight time to 12:01am EST would be 1:01am EDT.

We "spring forward" and go ahead of standard time.

So a 12:01am EST offer would be a
1:01am EDT offer.

As for Vesey, honestly I think that he knows where he wants to go, has for a while and is just listening just to stay as a topic and milk it as long as he can.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not trying to totally derail the thread but it's the other way around.

Standard time is behind daylight time to 12:01am EST would be 1:01am EDT.

We "spring forward" and go ahead of standard time.

So a 12:01am EST offer would be a
1:01am EDT offer.

As for Vesey, honestly I think that he knows where he wants to go, has for a while and is just listening just to stay as a topic and milk it as long as he can.

What would he be milking it for?

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
What would he be milking it for?

To have his name at the center of a lot of talk on the hockey world. Especially at this point in the year when not much else is happening. If he signs, he's not longer going to be discussed. But the longer he plays this out after he could sign anywhere, the longer his name is discussed in the larger hockey world.

I could totally be wrong but I just think he's known for a while where he wants to sign, and he's just hanging on to the spotlight as long as possible.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Wonder if that knocks out Chicago too.

Well if the Wings are "too far from home" then the Hawks are definitely out.

Chicago is a fair bit farther from Boston than Detroit is. In a different time zone even.

I would think so.

If you are following the Vesey thread on the trade rumor board, the latest chatter is around '3 new york teams' and th B's. Lots of loose interpretations of NY teams being 'NY area' i.e. Isles, Rangers and Devils.

What if Garth swooped in and grabbed Vesey with a promise to play next to Tavares? Wouldn't that throw the hockey world into a hissy fit? LOL.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I think he's always wanted to play for the Bruins just like he's always wanted to play with Jack. The Bruins moreso.

So in that aspect, he has already "decided". He still wants to meet with the people who run the team in order to see if he thinks they're headed in the right direction and will put him in spot that benefits him.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
To have his name at the center of a lot of talk on the hockey world. Especially at this point in the year when not much else is happening. If he signs, he's not longer going to be discussed. But the longer he plays this out after he could sign anywhere, the longer his name is discussed in the larger hockey world.

I could totally be wrong but I just think he's known for a while where he wants to sign, and he's just hanging on to the spotlight as long as possible.

I think he has strong idea of what he wants. If he let it be known prematurely, say Boston, then others would not line up and force a max contract. He had to get to free agency for any team other the Preds or Buffalo. Might as well listen before making a final decision.

Wishful thinking is that he wants to choose Buffalo, but did not want to go back on his word so he went to free agency. I suspect that this is probably not the case. Again, under the same circumstances, I love what Murray has done and would want him to do it again.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I think he has strong idea of what he wants. If he let it be known prematurely, say Boston, then others would not line up and force a max contract. He had to get to free agency for any team other the Preds or Buffalo. Might as well listen before making a final decision.

Wishful thinking is that he wants to choose Buffalo, but did not want to go back on his word so he went to free agency. I suspect that this is probably not the case. Again, under the same circumstances, I love what Murray has done and would want him to do it again.
Force a max contract? No matter where he goes it will be an ELC with only certain bonuses eligible for it. He could have gotten that from either team that had his rights. For him, as far as from what I've gathered, it is about team direction and potential line mates as well as proximity to "home".

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is there seriously gonna be hatred for a young man who has the right to pick where he wants to play if he doesn't pick Buffalo? Like, not "just being silly" hatred, but honest to god hatred?

If so, all I can say is grow up. Wow.

I'll still enjoy watching him and see what kind of NHLer he develops into. And if he goes to a team I hate like Boston, or Toronto, I'll still hate the team the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad