Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Easiest would be to spend $25k in non-cap related salary on a part-time translator that speaks Czech.

Yeah, I bet every GM in the league has a little rolodex of guys they can call on for various international players and prospects, and has since 1989. If this were a stumbling block, it would be a completely unnecessary one.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Lehner was great when healthy, but what happens if he only plays 40 games this year because of health?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Lehner was great when healthy, but what happens if he only plays 40 games this year because of health?

Then we are in the same boat as last year with an improved/grown team.

I was hard as hell on Johnson, mainly because I thought a lot of people equated a 40+ save performance of shots from non threatening angles ... or one big highlight save... To mean that he was an all-star.

But goaltending wasn't the problem with the team last year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

then the other NHL goalie plays 40 games... very likely at the same/similar level. Obviously I expect Murray to sign a quality backup with experience.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
In order for this team to take the next step, they need to get faster. I've thought they seem slow last season, and Rob Ray often talks about how they need to get faster. Who are some players that are probably too slow and need to be replaced?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Reimer makes sense assuming he'll take a reasonable salary (under 1.5M per)

Many seem to think he's the best goaltender on the market. I'd imagine he's looking for a starting job - just as Johnson is - before contemplating coming to a team where he's the obvious backup.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Many seem to think he's the best goaltender on the market. I'd imagine he's looking for a starting job - just as Johnson is - before contemplating coming to a team where he's the obvious backup.

With Fluery (likely) and to a lesser extent Howard available via trade, gotta think the teams looking for goaltending (Calgary and Carolina, maybe Dallas) are all going to the trade route before the slim pickings of the UFA market.

As an aside, I wonder if Cam Ward, who historically has been meh during the regular season but amazing during the playoffs ends up in Dallas.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wait -- you were hard on CJ because of what OTHERS thought of him?

I inverted that a bit. I was hard on him because 40 saves on weak outside / exterior shots, or the one highlight reel save, didn't mask the awful goals he let in at piss poor times.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
The hope was there that Murray would be willing to kick those tires. Turning up someone like Bengtsson, Zaitsev, or Kempny would be a nice find.

The only downside right now is that they have no one on the team who speaks Czech and Kempny doesn't speak English.

Are you sure on that? I've lived in the Czech Republic for 2 months and I don't think I met a single person under 30 who didn't speak fluent English. They don't get much natively produced TV or movies so US content is very popular. I'd be shocked if he didn't know any.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Are you sure on that? I've lived in the Czech Republic for 2 months and I don't think I met a single person under 30 who didn't speak fluent English. They don't get much natively produced TV or movies so US content is very popular. I'd be shocked if he didn't know any.

This was from Monday:

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to speak to Kempny. I stopped him as he came through the mixed zone, but he said he didn’t speak English and departed. The Czech Republic media contact said I could email him a few questions that he would translate for Kempny. We’ll see if that happens.
lets hope that's just his way of deterring the 'Hawks en route to a different destination :)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
With Fluery (likely) and to a lesser extent Howard available via trade, gotta think the teams looking for goaltending (Calgary and Carolina, maybe Dallas) are all going to the trade route before the slim pickings of the UFA market.

As an aside, I wonder if Cam Ward, who historically has been meh during the regular season but amazing during the playoffs ends up in Dallas.

There'll be several teams who won't want to meet PIT's asking price for Fleury. Reimer is better than Howard, younger, and won't cost assets to acquire. The bottom line is that Reimer isn't coming here for $1.5m to take Chad Johnson's role.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This was from Monday:

lets hope that's just his way of deterring the 'Hawks en route to a different destination :)

Keep in mind that a player may be able to communicate with coaches and teammates in English but not feel comfortable speaking to the media in English. This is definitely a thing with a lot of Latin American baseball players where they can use English in the clubhouse, but prefer translators for interviews. I remember watching an interview of Oswaldo Arcia of the Minnesota Twins (and formerly Rochester Red Wings) a few weeks ago, where the interviewer's English questions were not translated, but Arcia's Spanish answers were.

That's not to say that Kempny is necessarily conversational in English. I don't know whether he is or he isn't. It's just that one's ability to speak English is contextual since different situations might require different levels of fluency.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Keep in mind that a player may be able to communicate with coaches and teammates in English but not feel comfortable speaking to the media in English. This is definitely a thing with a lot of Latin American baseball players where they can use English in the clubhouse, but prefer translators for interviews. I remember watching an interview of Oswaldo Arcia of the Minnesota Twins (and formerly Rochester Red Wings) a few weeks ago, where the interviewer's English questions were not translated, but Arcia's Spanish answers were.

That's not to say that Kempny is necessarily conversational in English. I don't know whether he is or he isn't. It's just that one's ability to speak English is contextual since different situations might require different levels of fluency.

100%... Could be any number of things...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

There are not many teams where he can be handed a starters job or at the very least get a really good shot to be. And factor in that Lehner hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy I don't think Buffalo would be all that unattractive to him as a UFA.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There'll be several teams who won't want to meet PIT's asking price for Fleury. Reimer is better than Howard, younger, and won't cost assets to acquire. The bottom line is that Reimer isn't coming here for $1.5m to take Chad Johnson's role.

Howards been pretty average, but Reimer has never started more than 40 games, had a GAA above 3 most seasons, and has been pretty inconsistent. I think behind a better defense and coaching, he'd improve, much like Johnson. But, Howard has proven he can handle a starters workload. He also has some playoff experience.

Not saying Howard is going set the world on fire, but he's pretty much the definition of average starter.

Reimer is a slightly below average tandem goalie.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

I concur with this. It took Malkin years before he was comfortable in English enough to talk directly to the media.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There are not many teams where he can be handed a starters job or at the very least get a really good shot to be. And factor in that Lehner hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy I don't think Buffalo would be all that unattractive to him as a UFA.

Same can be said of Johnson, but he's looking for a better opportunity. That's my point: Reimer, who is likely held in higher regard around the league than Johnson and should probably be considered the top UFA option as of right now, is going to be looking for the same thing as Johnson - i.e., a place where he can be the undisputed #1 (Calgary? Carolina?), or where he'll be given a real chance to compete for the top job. Lehner is unquestionably the #1 in Buffalo - which is most of the reason Johnson is going to look around first - and Bylsma said before he prefers a 2/3 to 1/3 split between the starter and backup (at least when it was a healthy Lehner and Johnson). Sure, Reimer can hope that Lehner gets hurt again, but I'm sure that's pretty far down his list of "best situations." I imagine he wants to enter the season pegged for more than 25-30 starts.

Howards been pretty average, but Reimer has never started more than 40 games, had a GAA above 3 most seasons, and has been pretty inconsistent. I think behind a better defense and coaching, he'd improve, much like Johnson. But, Howard has proven he can handle a starters workload. He also has some playoff experience.

Not saying Howard is going set the world on fire, but he's pretty much the definition of average starter.

Reimer is a slightly below average tandem goalie.

Howard has been worse than Reimer over the last three years, and has played in a far better situation than Reimer - i.e., Detroit vs Toronto. He has an awful cap hit and you'd have to give up something more than cap space to get him. Oh, and Reimer is four years younger. Reimer is easily a more preferable option under these circumstances.

Unless Reimer completely overplays his hand a la Marty Biron in summer 2009, he'll end up in a 1A/1B situation, at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad