Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
worst case scenario with wiercioch is that he doesn't find a good partner and plays decently in his own end. best case scenario is he finds chemistry with risto, allowing rasmus to beast up and down the ice

given the team's depth at LD, there's virtually no reason not to take a chance on him at this point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
worst case scenario with wiercioch is that he doesn't find a good partner and plays decently in his own end. best case scenario is he finds chemistry with risto, allowing rasmus to beast up and down the ice

given the team's depth at LD, there's virtually no reason not to take a chance on him at this point.

Worst case is that he plays like he did in Ottawa and he's a complete suck.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

That's probably closer to the best case...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not that he's an answer. But I'd be going after one of Campbell, Gogo or maybe even a guy like Kulikov.

Was Gogo good in Dallas this year? I think he'd fit really good under Bylsma again and

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I was wondering about Moulson. Is he going to be bought out this summer or is the plan still to hope he can come back and be better next season? Thanks in advance.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If they buy him out before expansion they're idiots. His money soaks up a nice chunk of the demanded cap percentage left available. Buy him out after.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I was wondering about Moulson. Is he going to be bought out this summer or is the plan still to hope he can come back and be better next season? Thanks in advance.

Our GM said that there are no buyout candidates this summer. So him and his unproductive self will be playing all season for us.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Our GM said that there are no buyout candidates this summer. So him and his unproductive self will be playing all season for us.

He wasn't bad with Eichel. I'm not sure why that wasn't a thing all year. Not like our options were plentiful.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
He wasn't bad with Eichel. I'm not sure why that wasn't a thing all year. Not like our options were plentiful.

He did pretty decent at the start of the year I thought. Then....yeah. Maybe with Reinhart in his second year as well things will be better for Moulson. Really, that should be two very good lines. He can finish. I think he could still score 20 if everything went right, 15 for sure.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He did pretty decent at the start of the year I thought. Then....yeah. Maybe with Reinhart in his second year as well things will be better for Moulson. Really, that should be two very good lines. He can finish. I think he could still score 20 if everything went right, 15 for sure.

Ehhh... It was a while ago, but from what I remember, he was a slightly more polished turd when with Eichel. Still really crappy.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Unless you're up against the cap, there is no real benefit to buying out Moulson. Better to eat the cap hit than have dead space from the buyout stretching into the years where we're gonna need all that space for our young guns.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
There's no pressing need for a Moulson buyout. The longer you can afford to let that contract linger, the less painful the buyout becomes. He only has one year on that deal that extends past Jack and Rhino's ELCs.

Worst case, you buy him out then. But maybe he recovers form, maybe he becomes tradeable (last year is a cheap one), maybe he gets sick of it and just retires. Throwing the money away now would be a very impatient, shortsighted move.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
g1380237020332471763.jpg

Throwing the money away now would be a very impatient, shortsighted move.

Impatient, shortsighted moves are what this board loves the most! :hyper:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
There's no pressing need for a Moulson buyout. The longer you can afford to let that contract linger, the less painful the buyout becomes. He only has one year on that deal that extends past Jack and Rhino's ELCs.

Worst case, you buy him out then. But maybe he recovers form, maybe he becomes tradeable (last year is a cheap one), maybe he gets sick of it and just retires. Throwing the money away now would be a very impatient, shortsighted move.

Even buying out his last year is still going to be a 3.667nil cap hit in that crucial post Eichel/Reinhart ELC year. A savings of only 1.333mil on his 5mil cap hit.

I mentioned earlier that our best hope is he gets his game back to serviceable on a line and he is a PP contributor. Maybe 13-16 goals and 30-ish points mostly on PP. If that happens he might be tradable as a 2.5mil player (we retain half the cap hit).

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Worst case is that he plays like he did in Ottawa and he's a complete suck.

i'm convinced the well in ottawa has been pretty irreparably poisoned at this point. between the penny-pinching owner that can't stop saying dumb things publicly and the extremely questionable roster/coach management by brian (which was quite possibly influenced by the owner), it seems like it's become a pretty toxic environment.

outside of the miracle playoff run, there's been way more "bad" than there has been "good" the last few years there. a change in scenery would do a lot of their players some good, and i think wier is chief among them. there's arguments to be made about "mental toughness" and how even if he does turn his game around he's proven himself soft...but there's an even bigger argument for "our LD is an absolute trainwreck and he'll be an extremely cheap 25 year old reclamation project that could reasonably prove himself to be a quality 3rd pairing guy."

i think his ceiling is considerably higher than that, for what it's worth, and he'd be entering a locker room with a lot of strong voices and good leaders (that feels good to type). there's also a lot of positivity surrounding the franchise right now, so it's basically the polar opposite of ottawa the last few years.

this is a lot of words to essentially say "if he can't make it work here, he's officially broken, but i don't think he is." some of this hinges on gut feeling, but i think he's going to make whoever signs him pretty happy.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Hopefully guys like Bogo, McCabe and Pysyk take steps forward. That would do more for our D then any trade.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I doubt we'll see many buyouts this summer unless a team is hard against the cap or the buyout saves them a significant amount. With an expansion team coming, they will be a dumping ground for bad contracts. Going from 0 to the cap floor will be difficult, especially with most high salary players carrying a NMC.

Willing to bet Moulson will see Dave Andreychuk-esque usage. 4th line ES minutes, 1st PP unit. Get him back in the 20 goal range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad