Speculation: Roster Speculation: Part XVI (Off-Season Madness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Brought him up several times in previous threads. If he's the Zidlicky-esque guy scouts are making him out to be, yes.

These guys have to look at rosters and make a decision partially on which teams they have the best opportunity on. If that's the most important thing to the kid, then the Sabres have to be near the top of his list.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I like to read what fans of other teams who watch 82 a season say about their players - Ducks fans are very down on Fowler.

That team may be looking for a major shakeup, what's Perry worth in a trade?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Perry would be a dream come true but I don't want that salary

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Brodins pedigree doesn't matter at this point to anyone but Minny fans. I'm not the "cuz points" guy but it's silly to think that doesn't matter on the open market.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I like to read what fans of other teams who watch 82 a season say about their players - Ducks fans are very down on Fowler.

That team may be looking for a major shakeup, what's Perry worth in a trade?

Agreed. And from reading those Anaheim boards It seems that...
1. The fans realize the Ducjs are a budget team, so $4M/yr for Fowler is a steal.
2. They use Fowler like a #1 D-man
3. Bob Murray's comments about having "an interesting off-season" with their RFA's
4. Some of these young guys (particularly Vatanen & Lindholm) could see an aging forward core and not want to be a part of that, and see that the old guys are already getting the big dollars, which limits their ability to make bank.
5. Some Anaheim fans are also seeing signing Andersen as a priority as well, which further limits their financial capabilities.

-BTW, I'd love to get either of Vatanen or Lindholm (despite him being a righty, Vatanen would be a very interesting player to have on a pp with Eichel/Reinhart/O'Reilly/Ristolainen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
These guys have to look at rosters and make a decision partially on which teams they have the best opportunity on. If that's the most important thing to the kid, then the Sabres have to be near the top of his list.

Zaitsev was the same thing -- there is nothing on the left side to compete with them at this time, so the opportunity is there to play. Granted, they missed there with him, but Kempny is someone else to keep an eye on.

Brodins pedigree doesn't matter at this point to anyone but Minny fans. I'm not the "cuz points" guy but it's silly to think that doesn't matter on the open market.

Jared Cowen was a 9th overall as a low point of evidence. I'm not on board with 8th OA for Brodin alone either.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I know we would have gotten a higher draft pick if Anaheim won. But a 1st round loss could spur them onto some big changes. I'll take one fowler plz.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Source?

Was something said during/after the game? I fell asleep in the chair at some point after it was 2-0.

In one of his radio interviews, Murray stated that he spoke with McGinn's agent. It all sounded very informal with each side laying out their thoughts. It doesn't sound like it progressed very far, because there were also reports that Murray and the agent didn't talk at all in the days leading up to the deadline.

I have to believe that Murray reached out as a sign of good faith following all the media hubbub. and social media reaction thereto (and McGinn's agent's comments to TBN), that the team had to sign McGinn if it "was serious about winning" and couldn't trade him for yet another dreaded draft pick. Murray can now say he tried but the demands were far too high.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Source?

Was something said during/after the game? I fell asleep in the chair at some point after it was 2-0.

Murray said it post trade deadline just get a ball park figure. My guess is "So agent, would jamie want to sign a 1 year, 2M deal for next year?"

"No he want 5 years, 20 M"

"Welp, good luck in Anaheim"

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
After Ducks playoff outcome, Cam Fowler will most likely be available. If the price is right I'm all over that if I'm TM.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I feel like "being trusted with difficult minutes against good players" is the only positive attribute Fowler has.

From the games I saw in the playoffs they had Vatanen/Lindholm as a pairing with Fowler getting a ton of ES minutes with Bieksa, Despres, etc. He played his offhand at times with Despres. He played the most ES minutes among the Duck's dmen. Getting 2mins and 2:30mins more per game than Lindholm and Vatanen respectively.

Fowler was basically a minute eater as they tried to hide Theodore with minimal minutes on the bottom pair (only 11:34 per night at ES) and keep Vatanen/Lindolm together.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I feel like "being trusted with difficult minutes against good players" is the only positive attribute Fowler has.

Didn't you scold me for "eye-bleeding hyperbole" yesterday? Fowler is a terrific skater, moves the puck well, can chip in offensively, and isn't overmatched defensively. He's a very good all around defenseman.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I thought Fowler looked like ass in this series. With that said, his partner Despres did too, and i still think he's a solid upgrade over Gorges. The question is - is that enough when considering the assets we would need to give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad