Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If I had to bet, I'd say GMTM targets Brodin and Nash this summer. There's been comments out of Minnesota about talks with Buffalo maybe leading to something over the summer, and GMTM particularly mentioned wingers who could be on the outs because of their cap hit at his press conference. I think those two players fit the bill.

He also, of course, mentioned a PPQB defenseman as his "Christmas present" to himself, but I'm not sure who he has in mind there. Yandle seems a possibility.

It wouldn't be my ideal offseason, but this team plus Brodin, Yandle, and Nash is definitely in the playoffs.

If I had my druthers, target #1 would be Lindholm on an offersheet, but then again, he wouldn't probably hint at that even if he felt the same way.

I like the idea of getting Brodin + a 'PPQB'. Just not Yandle please. I can't put into words how bad / over rated I think he is. I don't care that it costs no assets to get him - we have the assets to give up for a much better player. He'd just be a higher profile Franson - another deal I have always been critical of even before it happened.

I'm not totally enamoured on signing a big name winger either (we have too many players for too few spots as it is IMO). But Nash wouldn't be a bad option if thats the way they go (short contact etc). I suppose that acquiring above mentioned D-men could mean us losing a couple of wingers the other way too...

Lindholm would be a dream but do you really see the Ducks not matching anything even slightly sane ? Only way we get him is by trading a ransom which isn't going to happen.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Lindholm would be a dream but do you really see the Ducks not matching anything even slightly sane ? Only way we get him is by trading a ransom which isn't going to happen.

I sign him to $8M x 5 and call the rebuild over. Everything else is tweaks.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

I sign him to $8M x 5 and call the rebuild over. Everything else is tweaks.

Lindholm has taken the next step in these playoffs. He's far and away our best defenseman and has been playing like a #1. Given GMBM's comments on how hard it is to acquire #1s, I can't see him not matching any offer sheet.

I still think you guys are prime suitors for Fowler though...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone think Ladd could go for "cheap" given his lackluster playoff performance?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I see something like girgensons and our 1st for brodin and their 1st. We move back 8-10 spots, they get a good young forward and a top 10 pick

I see that being a very good shot at value

Girgs and 8 for Brodin and 15

I could also see something like

Girgs, Pysyk, 1st for Brodin , forward, and 1st

I think I would offer Girgensons, Pysyk, '17 1st for Landeskog.

Why does Colorado do this?? Colorado would be asking for this years 1st.

Why does buffalo do this? If you trade Pysyk you should be getting a Dman back.

Buffalo needs defense more than wingers

Perhaps they kick the tires harder on Scandella given those reports out of Minny.

What happen here?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Does anyone think Ladd could go for "cheap" given his lackluster playoff performance?

No, mostly because of "intangibles" that dont hit the market often but also because he's a legit goal scoring winger. I have to imagine he goes one of two ways...to a contender with cap space ala the Panthers etc or is overpaid by a bottom feeder wanting said intangibles ala Oilers, Leafs etc...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

also if your inquiry is in regards to us adding him I'd say it's slim to none given his history with Kane...normally I'd say they are grown men getting paid millions to have a dream job and hope both sides could move on but I honestly could see Ladd's presence having a direct adverse affect on Kane's game given Kane's maturity.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I do like the 8th OA plus a 2nd in 2017 for Brodin idea. However, if I were GMTM, I'd hold until the pick. If Chychrun or Juolevi are there, I take him. Then I work the deal a different way, possibly with Girgensons and the 2017 first.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
Hi Sabres fans,
what about any trade with Caps before draft? I'm thinking about this proposal..

Girgensons (RFA) + Franson + 1st round pick <-> Johansson (RFA) + Orlov (RFA) + 1st round pick

is this possible for you?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Hi Sabres fans,

Girgensons (RFA) + Franson + 1st round pick <-> Johansson (RFA) + Orlov (RFA) + 1st round pick

At least it's not an insulting offer :)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hi Sabres fans,

I'd pass...but then again I'm not too familiar with Orlov. I've just never noticed him when watching Caps.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Hi Sabres fans,

Im an Orlov fan MoJo is a good young forward, but i feel he would have a tough fit on our team. At the moment if we acquire a top 6 winger Girgensons is probably on our 4th line. I guess for me it would depend on A. Where our 1st ends up and B. Who is sitting there when we are on the clock.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hi Sabres fans,

That's a huge drop in the 1st round. From top 10 to 25-30.

overall, the value is fair....but, I don't think Buffalo trades back that far.

I'd be interested in both players, but not at the expense of moving back that far in the draft. Drop both 1st rounders, add in some more pieces from Buffalo's side and it's got a good framework for a deal.

One of the big issues is that Johansson is going to need a big extension soon. He could just sign his QO and test the UFA market next year if he wanted.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hi Sabres fans,

It would never happen0--this is bad

How exactly does this benefit Buffalo???

a top 10 pick vs a pick 25-30 needs something major coming to Buffalo. A player you wouldn't want to give up.
Apick 8-10 is an impact player, a pick 25-30 is an utter crap shoot.

Girgensons can play wing and is strong defensively. Johansson not so much. Buffalo doesnt need another offenensive center if they have ROR, Eichel and Reinhart as their top 3 centers (if they go that route). Franson isn't that big of a cap dump.

Johansson has one yr left before UFA and Orlov 2 yrs left. Both due contracts this offseason..

Orlov is the only player in this deal I have any interest in acquiring, but he alone doesn't get you to move up in the draft so draft picks are out of this.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.startribune.com/for-wild-an-offseason-of-angst-has-begun/377054871/

He will have to investigate trades. Kuemper is a likely candidate to be dealt. The moment Devan Dubnyk re-signed for six years last summer, Kuemper’s fate was sealed. Zucker, who finished the season with two goals and four assists in his final 37 games (including the playoffs) and was minus-3 in the Wild’s Game 6 loss to Dallas; and Dumba, who struggled dramatically down the stretch and in the playoffs, are trade candidates, too.

Will Fletcher dangle defensemen Jonas Brodin or Marco Scandella in the hope of acquiring a scorer or a top center? He also will soon need to decide whether to commit to Mikael Granlund and Nino Niederreiter long-term or potentially use them as trade bait. They each have a year left on their contracts before they become restricted free agents.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I keep seeing 2016 1st + for Brodin. I hate that idea. Id rather take Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev and keep our +. Brodin doesn't offer much offensively.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I keep seeing 2016 1st + for Brodin. I hate that idea. Id rather take Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev and keep our +. Brodin doesn't offer much offensively.

I think the point of that trade is that the D you mention have not impressed many this year with their play, they're all at least a year from seeing the NHL, and probably 2-4 years from being the impactful player we're looking for to play in our top 4, and there's the chance that the guy we pick never pans out. None of those are concerns with Brodin. At the absolute worst we get a guy who can play a solid game in the top 4. At the best we get a partner for Risto and I think that's really what we're looking for. That skilled guy that can let Risto be Risto. Everyone gets up in arms about a complimentary player in the top 10 but I think the best thing for this team is a guy that compliments Risto even at the expense of a player with a higher ceiling.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think the point of that trade is that the D you mention have not impressed many this year with their play, they're all at least a year from seeing the NHL, and probably 2-4 years from being the impactful player we're looking for to play in our top 4, and there's the chance that the guy we pick never pans out. None of those are concerns with Brodin. At the absolute worst we get a guy who can play a solid game in the top 4. At the best we get a partner for Risto and I think that's really what we're looking for. That skilled guy that can let Risto be Risto. Everyone gets up in arms about a complimentary player in the top 10 but I think the best thing for this team is a guy that compliments Risto even at the expense of a player with a higher ceiling.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/2CRKCSJM8?:display_count=yes

I think Brodin is getting overhyped because of the Sabres need for a LHD to play with Risto.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/KP35T4TP9?:display_count=yes

Brodin isn't Lindholm.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

You don't need him to offer much offensively considering he'd be playing with Risto. You also shave off 3-4 years of development time. Trading that pick for Brodin is definitely worth it, but Minnesota doesn't really have a reason to do it, so it's kind of moot.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Another problem is let's say our pick is at 8. Chychrun will be gone, possibly juolevi as well. Murray doesn't like Russians so he isn't drafting Sergachev. Now who do you draft that you value higher than Brodin?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lindholm would also command much more than the pick, so I'm not sure what your point is. Pretty sure most people realize Lindholm is the better player.

My point is that I don't think that Brodin would be the Risto partner that people think they would be getting if they trade the 8-10 OV pick for him.

The stats show him to be closer to Gorges than Lindholm when people would expect him to be a massive improvement over Gorges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA