Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
So on WGR today GMTM said he would like to add to the D corps. Said he'd love to add a 'QB type.'

Thoughts on who this could mean in trade or FA?

Well I didn't listen too well too it, but I believe he said something about finding a player in a situation like O'Reilly was in, so maybe Krug? Maybe Vatanen to play on his off-hand? Fowler is a year away from being in a contract year, so maybe him?

Guys on contracts, maybe Brodin? Slavin from Carolina could be an under the radar option in my opinion.

Purely my own personal speculation, but I really think Murray will be in on whomever Anaheim decides to move, whether it's Vatanen or Fowler is anyone's guess, but they won't be able to keep all those guys and it will be an interesting decision for the Ducks to make.

If it is a free agent, Goligoski is the only guy I see fitting the bill. To me Campbell stays in Florida for sure.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Well I didn't listen too well too it, but I believe he said something about finding a player in a situation like O'Reilly was in, so maybe Krug? Maybe Vatanen to play on his off-hand? Fowler is a year away from being in a contract year, so maybe him?

Guys on contracts, maybe Brodin? Slavin from Carolina could be an under the radar option in my opinion.

Purely my own personal speculation, but I really think Murray will be in on whomever Anaheim decides to move, whether it's Vatanen or Fowler is anyone's guess, but they won't be able to keep all those guys and it will be an interesting decision for the Ducks to make.

If it is a free agent, Goligoski is the only guy I see fitting the bill. To me Campbell stays in Florida for sure.

Props to you on the Slavin name drop.

That dude has stuck out positively in every single shift I've seen him play all year. Positionally sound, head-on-a-swivel guy who looks smart on the breakout and certainly more than competent offensively. He was the true revelation on their blueline this year, and it was quite clear quickly that he was there to stay when they brought him up.

Fourth round pick in the Fail for Nail draft. I assume he is a RFA?

Edit: also, let it be known that I think that kid is already in the upper tier of dmen as it pertains to play in the neutral zone. Stepping up, closing gaps, clogging lanes, pulling the Scott Stevens WeakSide creep, picking off passes... Fun to watch, man. I love me a well-rounded dman.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I know that a lot of you dont appear to be Yandle Fans but we could do a lot worse than him for the next 4 years. All of his analytics are top pairing except for shot suppression (CA/60). Let him slot in with Risto for top pairing and PP QB duties. Neither McCabe nor Pysyk are looking like that type of dynamic player, and there is no one in the immediate pipeline who can step and take that role of puck moving LHD. It's either the UFA route or trade. Of course, everything depends on how much he wants to get paid. There is a salary structure on this team.

EDIT: Something I did not think of. Expansion draft, if there is an add of another top D who do you protect?

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So on WGR today GMTM said he would like to add to the D corps. Said he'd love to add a 'QB type.'

Thoughts on who this could mean in trade or FA?

Slavin would be a coup, given his age and production. Krug would be ideal, given his production and experience, but I can't see the Bruins moving him in the division.

Seems reasonable to assume he'll be looking at the teams stocked with the most promising younger defensemen like Anaheim and Carolina to see what sort of deal he can make.

Campbell would be the guy I would want more so than Goligoski. Yandle and Goli and Boyle are all scary options -- so much risk.

Let's not forget the rumblings that Buffalo was interested in Justin Schultz during the season. The original thought was the acquiring team might not qualify him but having escaped the penal colony that is the Oilers, he's shown he can be a useful point producer for the Pens.

Then there is the possibility he's one of the people looking at Michal Kempny from the KHL, per Dreger's reporting a few days ago, since he's getting Zidlicky comparisons and Zidlicky was an excellent puck mover/QB type.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Seems reasonable to assume he'll be looking at the teams stocked with the most promising younger defensemen like Anaheim and Carolina to see what sort of deal he can make.

With the upcoming expansion draft something is going to shake free on teams that have four D. Add the Rangers to that list. Stall is on a NMC so they probably have to protect him, Gerardi, Yandle and McDonough are all valuable cogs.

Yandle and Goli and Boyle are all scary options -- so much risk.

Other than contract hit what do you see as scary about Yandle?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With the upcoming expansion draft something is going to shake free on teams that have four D. Add the Rangers to that list. Stall is on a NMC so they probably have to protect him, Gerardi, Yandle and McDonough are all valuable cogs.

He's terribad defensively.

Precisely.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Rangers would give us Girardi for free. He's been awful and on a long term contract.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Rangers would give us Girardi for free. He's been awful and on a long term contract.

Yet they can't due to Girardi's NMC. Same with McDonagh and his NTC. Teams have really backed themselves into a corner handing out NMC/NTC these last few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yet they can't due to Girardi's NMC. Same with McDonagh and his NTC. Teams have really backed themselves into a corner handing out NMC/NTC these last few years.

McDonagh's is a limited NTC for three seasons that doesn't start until this summer, Girardi's is a full NMC for three years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ahh.. I thought McDonagh was a full NTC.

Well if we're pipe-dreaming, he's not locked down until July and of course there is the chance Buffalo isn't on his list of teams once it does kick in. Beyond that he's on a great value deal, just entering his prime, their captain, and best defenseman. Set all that aside, and the pipedream could live.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I just don't get the Krug love around here. No thanks.

All of my B's buddies are over him. They whip him nightly, do we need another one of those back there?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
In terms of trades......

Buffalo would target a Dman from Anahem, Minnesota, and maybe Carolina

I've said before I see them targeting an under the radar player. Someone not the teams top D prospect who projects as a mid pair.

I don't get the love of Krug. Listening to boston they look at him as a 4/5/6 Dman.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Krug isn't a complete defenseman. He doesn't penalty kill much at all, but he does do solid things with the puck and when his team has the puck. *shrug*

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Listening to Friday's WGR interview, am I crazy for thinking Murray sounds more satisfied with our defense than our offense? Aside from his comment about "adding to the D core, a QB type," he didn't foreshadow a defensive overhaul. Just isolating some of the quotes:

"I think we've been a good defensive team this year. That's a huge improvement. Our goals for has improved a lot, but, to me, it's the defensive part of the game where we're in almost every game, almost from the start of the year. We've kept games close, we've hung around. But we didn't score enough. How man games have we been blown out, three or four? Not sure, but very few. So our defensive game has been really good. And Johnson has had a hell of a year, but we've played a lot with him and Ullmark. Robin has played 21 games, so I think that part of our game can get better still - with two healthy goalies instead of one healthy goalie. That (defensive play) has been, to me, the biggest improvement in the team's play."

Wow. Either Tim's blowing a lot of smoke, or he's a lot happier with the defense than most around here are. It looks like he thinks the team will improve defensively just by Lehner getting more games next season. Now, he was talking team defense, which includes the forwards, but he sounded pretty satisfied.

Unless he's puffing and taking a public position the complete opposite of which he's taking internally, it doesn't sound like there's an overhaul of the defense coming.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Listening to Friday's WGR interview, am I crazy for thinking Murray sounds more satisfied with our defense than our offense? Aside from his comment about "adding to the D core, a QB type," he didn't foreshadow a defensive overhaul. Just isolating some of the quotes:

Wow. Either Tim's blowing a lot of smoke, or he's a lot happier with the defense than most around here are. It looks like he thinks the team will improve defensively just by Lehner getting more games next season. Now, he was talking team defense, which includes the forwards, but he sounded pretty satisfied.

Unless he's puffing and taking a public position the complete opposite of which he's taking internally, it doesn't sound like there's an overhaul of the defense coming.

Looking at the defensemen he's acquired in Buffalo and Rochester in his tenure, I'm not sure what to think. I'm worried personally. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland