Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Not sure what you're seeing. The UFA class this year is underwhelming to say the least. Reinhart has had a breakthrough season. While Subban is an elite talent, he may have a NTC or NMC at the bare minimum. The cap management would go down the toilet.

Subban's NMC doesn't go into effect until next year. The only way you're going to get a #1 defenseman in this league is by paying a premium, which our Canadian prospect with a breakthrough season fits the bill. With all the drama this is a perfect opportunity to jump on, Subban is that type of player. When you have incredible center depth this is the type of trade you bite your lip and take advantage of.

The cap space is caught up in players like Ennis (tradeable), Moulson (if Pronger could get traded..., he's at least a million saved if stashed), Gionta (off the books after a year), Franson (off the books after a year) and everyone else in the line-up is young and cheap. It's very manageable because the core would be set for many many years from this point on with nobody expecting paydays outside of Eichel/Risto. Worst comes to worse, Kane and Bogo are very tradeable and aren't central tenants of the proposed line-ups.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Trade Reinhart for Subban. Sign Stamkos. Let draft picks fill in the depth. Sign UFA forwards short-term to fill in development gaps. No more gifting 2nd line wingers 5 year contracts for them to just disappear immediately after payday. Let the youth push short-term UFAs.

Subban's NMC doesn't go into effect until next year. The only way you're going to get a #1 defenseman in this league is by paying a premium, which our Canadian prospect with a breakthrough season fits the bill. With all the drama this is a perfect opportunity to jump on, Subban is that type of player. When you have incredible center depth this is the type of trade you bite your lip and take advantage of.

Montreal isn't trading Subban.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Not sure what you're seeing. The UFA class this year is underwhelming to say the least. Reinhart has had a breakthrough season. While Subban is an elite talent, he may have a NTC or NMC at the bare minimum. The cap management would go down the toilet.

I thought i read somewhere that his NTC doesn't kick in until July, which is why Bergevin has been looking into the option of trading him, now.

edit - just to add, if Bergevin does move Subban (and that's a big IF) then i guarantee he gets his walking papers before the offseason.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I see Loui Eriksson would be available before the deadline.

I am just curious if anyone here thinks he'd be a fit on this team? I have always liked his work ethic but i am not sure if he's a player worth investing in.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I am just curious if anyone here thinks he'd be a fit on this team? I have always liked his work ethic but i am not sure if he's a player worth investing in.

I wouldn't really be that interested in him, feels like we should be able to do better with our available money to spend.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He'd be a perfect fit on our team I think......but I also think he's going to cost more than is prudent for us.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Loui as a possible UFA signing this summer? Sure. Outbidding playoff teams for his services at deadline pricing inflation? No.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
while i like Loui a lot and think he'd look great with ROR, I'm a little leery of going 6/36 this offseason for a 30+ F vs attempting to go there for D.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
while i like Loui a lot and think he'd look great with ROR, I'm a little leery of going 6/36 this offseason for a 30+ F vs attempting to go there for D.

Agreed. Especially with the injury history he carries. I love his game and it would be a perfect fit... but that's the type of add I make when everything else is in place.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Like I have said before, Eriksson would be a great fit for Eichel. He has been always really good when playing with offensively intelligent center (Krejci, Ribeiro and Richards). He's solid defensively and is not dependent on transition in order to be effective (none of Krejci, Richards or Ribeiro are exactly burners). While Eichel has tons of speed, it doesn't really help you offensively because we're not and most likely won't be a team that creates from transition (like Kings doesn't). Eriksson is pretty much the perfect type of supportive winger for Eichel.

The problem would be the term he is seeking. Anything more than 4 years would be risky, and he is not likely going to take that short contract.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Would you rather pay 6yrs. $5M for Boedker,
or 5yrs, $6M for Eriksson?

Boedker is the younger player, but Eriksson is much more proven and seems to be a guy who should age pretty well.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Would you rather pay 6yrs. $5.5M for Boedker,
or 5yrs, $6M for Eriksson?

Boedker is the younger player, but Eriksson is much more proven and seems to be a guy who should age pretty well.

i think you have to choose Boedker in that scenario... I mean, we've seen it time and time again with guys in their 30s. Eriksson will be 31 before next season. You want 6 million for age 33, 34, and 35 seasons after Eichart ELCs end?

Or do you want Boedker for ages 27-32?

Pass on 30 year olds on long term contracts... 2-3 years? we can talk. Anything more at a non-NEED position is just a non starter for me

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eric Gelinas seems to have greased the skids to be moved in Jersey. I know his name has come up before (Der Jaeger, Zman both IIRC). 24 year-old LHD who DeBoer used much more than the current Devils bench boss.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Eric Gelinas seems to have greased the skids to be moved in Jersey. I know his name has come up before (Der Jaeger, Zman both IIRC). 24 year-old LHD who DeBoer used much more than the current Devils bench boss.

I'm in, not sure what the cost is though.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I'm in, not sure what the cost is though.

Jersey fans have seemed to be open to letting him go for cheap, but he seems to be a Franson 2.0, not my favorite idea.

If we go for a guy who could be acquired pretty cheaply, I could see Murray acquiring Wiercioch from Ottawa. He's an RFA due a new contract, and a guy who could mesh well with Pysyk on a 3rd pairing. Big but not physical, good skater but not the shut down defensively, heavy shot.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

As far as I know he is a defensively poor guy with a bomb of a shot. I really don't see the need.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

For a guy who has an O-zone Start% of 67%, he's not producing much offense in any phase and his team really isn't winning with him on the ice, high O-zone starts notwithstanding.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I like Boedker, but is $5.5 really the going rate for 50 point wingers these days? Damn.

You gotta figure, how many years ago did we give Stafford $4M/yr for a 50pt season. Yes, he had upside at the time, but so does a guy like Boedker, and Boedker is a UFA while Stafford was an RFA, so yes, 50pt winger, at 26 years of age, he'll cost $5-$6M per year depending on the years given.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Unless the cap jumps 2-3M, we could see another summer of depressed UFA contracts. Everyone was predicting a huge deal for Belesky, but he got under 4M per season.

The only UFA that people will go nuts for is Stamkos. After that, I predict a pretty reserved market. Staal will probably get 6M per, but only because he plays C instead of wing. With the cap growth slowing and no more free buyouts, teams are going to be alot more conservative for non core players.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Ok... Gonna go a bit crazy here, but...

1. On Deadline day, Pysyk to Dallas for Honka.

2. At the Draft, our 1st, plus Ennis, Hurley, and a 2017 2nd, to Anaheim for Linholm.

3. Offersheet Maatta, 5yrs. $5M per. Pittsburgh might not be able to match.

Linholm-Ristolainen
Maatta-Bogosian
McCabe-Honka
Gorges-Franson

I'm crazy, right, but, maybe one of these could happen?
One can dream

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Ok... Gonna go a bit crazy here, but...

1. On Deadline day, Pysyk to Dallas for Honka.

2. At the Draft, our 1st, plus Ennis, Hurley, and a 2017 2nd, to Anaheim for Linholm.

3. Offersheet Maatta, 5yrs. $5M per. Pittsburgh might not be able to match.

Linholm-Ristolainen
Maatta-Bogosian
McCabe-Honka
Gorges-Franson

I'm crazy, right, but, maybe one of these could happen?
One can dream

Is Lindholm that good? I mean, I know he's young and pretty good already, but is he worth a potential top 3 pick in the draft, a 2nd, and a 2nd line scoring winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad