Roster Speculation Part XI...$teven $tamko$?? Pony up for PK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
LOL at the title

Edit: I should contribute to the convo if I post.
Stammer?
Yes please!
Likely?
Who knows, I'd like our D addressed.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If not for the Gionta, Moulson and Bogo contracts, bringing in Stamios and Keith Yandle would be feasible. Imagine that.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
The Stamkos debate is moot. If he wants to sign on for a rebuild he's going to Toronto. They'll pay him more than we will and they'll let him play center. I don't know that we would.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
If we get Stamkos...
Oh man.
Realistically, he's going to Toronto. Nonetheless...

Those worried about cap space if we signed him... Don't worry, lots of cap space that will be gone over next 3-4 years. Franson $3.3M , Gionta $4.2M, Gorges $3.9M, Moulson $5.0M, Kane $5.2, Ennis $4.6M, Bogosian $5.1M. That's $31M. That's enough to give Eichel & Stamkos $20M plus have $6M for Risto and another $4M to give to Reinhart. Now Samson may get more than that, but we're also currently almost $9M under the cap, and it will likely go up a bit by the time the new deals for Eichel & Reinhart are needed.

People argue Moulson will be tough to move, but for the next two seasons he can be buried or benched, and his last year, a team that needs to reach the bottom will take a $5M cap hit that only costs them $3M of actual cash, so that's no big deal.

Franson, Gionta, Gorges, can at least get mid-round picks if not better.

Ennis would be dealt for a young prospect.

Kane if not re-signed would be dealt and may garner a nice return.
Same will likely go for Bogosian.

Not to mention Legwand and McGinn, plus Weber and Colaiacovo, that's approx another $5.5M.

People worried about the cap need to stop. We'll be fine. Even if we sign Stamkos for $11M/for 7yrs.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
If not for the Gionta, Moulson and Bogo contracts, bringing in Stamios and Keith Yandle would be feasible. Imagine that.
Already been said, but Buffalo could move contracts. Every year we hear about the "no one will touch this contract or that contract" and every year it manages to happen. Get creative? Maybe, but those contracts we have are not as large of a problem as many lead on.

The Stamkos debate is moot. If he wants to sign on for a rebuild he's going to Toronto. They'll pay him more than we will and they'll let him play center. I don't know that we would.
While I partially agree with this, specifically the money stance, or respectfully disagree with your rebuild thoughts and the center issue.
Buffalo is well beyond Toronto in terms of rebuild as core pieces are already in place. Yes, a couple are young, but take a look at Toronto, they are still in full blown tear it down mode and accumulate assets mode, far behind where we started 3.5/4seasons ago, as we started our tear down.
As for the center issue, you put him at center, that's a given. Jack, ROR, Reinhart, Girgs, Larsson, Ennis......many of these players can play wing as well.

The bottom line is, you want to increase scoring, with consistency, Stamkos without question does that..

That being said, as I've said, who knows what'll happen. But if he goes to July 1st, I'd be disappointed if GMTM isn't in on him with a plan in hand to boot.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
While I partially agree with this, specifically the money stance, or respectfully disagree with your rebuild thoughts and the center issue.
Buffalo is well beyond Toronto in terms of rebuild as core pieces are already in place. Yes, a couple are young, but take a look at Toronto, they are still in full blown tear it down mode and accumulate assets mode, far behind where we started 3.5/4seasons ago, as we started our tear down.
As for the center issue, you put him at center, that's a given. Jack, ROR, Reinhart, Girgs, Larsson, Ennis......many of these players can play wing as well.

The bottom line is, you want to increase scoring, with consistency, Stamkos without question does that..

That being said, as I've said, who knows what'll happen. But if he goes to July 1st, I'd be disappointed if GMTM isn't in on him with a plan in hand to boot.

Why is it a given that you put him at center? I'd rather have Eichel and ROR playing center than Stamkos.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Why is it a given that you put him at center? I'd rather have Eichel and ROR playing center than Stamkos.

I merely weighing the cost benefit analysis. You know what you are getting in Stamkos with regards to productivity in a specific area of need. Given estimated length of contract coinciding with Samson and Jack's UFA start time, there is a window of great opportunity there.
If Stamkos is a complete failure at center you can move him to wing, but to date, I see no reason as to why he shouldn't play center.
Maybe someone can post stats across his career to show other wise though. Anyone have real data on that? In the interest of full disclosure, my line of thoughts on this are based on the eye test. I've watched a number of TB games over the years not Sabres related.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

Personally, if he want to play center, that's fine by me.

O'Reilly-Stamkos-2016 1st
(Let O'Reilly take d-zone face offs and basically play center in the d-zone, but call Stankos the center and let him play center for o-zone faceoffs and be the center when it comes to the offensive zone.)

Girgensons-Eichel-Bailey/Fasching/Ennis
(Keep Eichel/Girgensons combo and add whomever fits)

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey/Fasching/Ennis
(Could possibly have Larsson on the wing as well, or...

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
(The muckers, let them do some dirty work)

Bench: Moulson, Deslsuriers

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I wish I could believe that Stamkos actually had real interest in coming to Buffalo...

The reasons why he would make sense to me and all, but I just don't think we are that lucky here.

At best, he uses Buffalo like Babcock did. He does have the same agency as ROR, so maybe they just want to use Buffalo to get a great contract like we gave ROR, that they hen take to Toronto to match or beat.

It would be amazing if he truly wanted to play here. I'm definitely not getting my hopes up though.

Plus, if that stuff about us trading the Eichel pick is true, he already nixed a trade to Buffalo at the draft. What would have made him change his mind since? I guess possibly the ROR contract, but I doubt it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If we get Stamkos...
Oh man.
Realistically, he's going to Toronto. Nonetheless...

Those worried about cap space if we signed him... Don't worry, lots of cap space that will be gone over next 3-4 years. Franson $3.3M , Gionta $4.2M, Gorges $3.9M, Moulson $5.0M, Kane $5.2, Ennis $4.6M, Bogosian $5.1M. That's $31M. That's enough to give Eichel & Stamkos $20M plus have $6M for Risto and another $4M to give to Reinhart. Now Samson may get more than that, but we're also currently almost $9M under the cap, and it will likely go up a bit by the time the new deals for Eichel & Reinhart are needed.

People argue Moulson will be tough to move, but for the next two seasons he can be buried or benched, and his last year, a team that needs to reach the bottom will take a $5M cap hit that only costs them $3M of actual cash, so that's no big deal.

Franson, Gionta, Gorges, can at least get mid-round picks if not better.

Ennis would be dealt for a young prospect.

Kane if not re-signed would be dealt and may garner a nice return.
Same will likely go for Bogosian.

Not to mention Legwand and McGinn, plus Weber and Colaiacovo, that's approx another $5.5M.

People worried about the cap need to stop. We'll be fine. Even if we sign Stamkos for $11M/for 7yrs.

Persinally, I'm not worried about being able to afford Stamkos because of the contracts already in the books, it's the contracts in the midst of our contendership that I'm worried about.

In the important years of and hopefully peak of our Stanley Cup contendership we will be seeing raises in pay for Eichel, Reinhart, depending if he gets a bridge Risto, Girgs, and possibly the 2016 1st round pick. Not to mention the raises other role players would be receiving and other players we may acquire. If Stamkos is at an 11 million cap hit and you have The big pieces getting close to double digit cap hits, how much will be left for "those final pieces"?

Currently we are more than one or two players away from contending just for a playoff spot. I'm not sure if this is the right play right now.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Nope. Not interested here. He's about to become the highest player in the NHL, and I don't think he's currently a top 15 player in the game.

Watch some Lightning games, guys. He's not dominating - his passes sometimes are seriously whack, and he's making bad decisions with the puck.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Why do people keep saying Toronto? It's being said numerous times Toronto is not anywhere on his wish list and he doesn't want to go there. If he makes it to the open market, Murray, Terry and Kim (and maybe Jack) need to fly right to Stamkos' house and bring a blank check. At this point I'd be willing to go to $13 mil per if it guarantees he signs. He would he the best UFA since the 04-05 lockout and it's not even debatable. He's a legit superstar and would be 26 years old. A proven 50 goal scorer. Him and Eichel on a line would be deadly. 90 goals minimum between them.

Stamkos is easily affordable. Dump Ennis and Kane for picks if need be. Bye bye Gionta next year. Pay someone a 2nd to take Moulson if necessary. Bogo can be moved also and there's another $5 mil plus. And eventually the cap WILL increase.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Nope. Not interested here. He's about to become the highest player in the NHL, and I don't think he's currently a top 15 player in the game.

Watch some Lightning games, guys. He's not dominating - his passes sometimes are seriously whack, and he's making bad decisions with the puck.

Stamkos to the Avalanche (E5)

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium

Bogo contract is reasonable. Gionta is off the books next year and Moulson can be bought out cheap next offseason as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-dan-bylsma-not-rotating-defensemen-zemgus-girgensons-ready/

So, is Bylsma finally OK with having two spare defensemen?

“Am I warming to it?” Bylsma asked this afternoon. “No, I’m not warming to it. I don’t think I’ll ever warm to it.”

Why doesn’t he like having eight?

“Six is best, and to have eight, it won’t be a rotation of three or four five guys with the eight D,” Bylsma said. “You don’t like a guy to get stale and not play a lot of games, and that tends to happen when you have eight.”

Disco still expressing his displeasure with 8 dmen.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You have twice as many forwards in the lineup compared to defenseman. You get 3 spare players to scratch. Having 2 extra dmen and 1 forward is just plain idiotic. You should have two spare players at the position you dress more of.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Stamkos

It's still likely a moot point. The most likely scenario is he signs with Tampa. He's setup to succeed there long term. IF he hits the UFA market, then you try to sign him. Adding a player of his caliber at the cost of a contract is a no brainer.

Moulson, Gionta are both coming off eventually. Bogo is tradable if it comes to it.

Stamkos would allow us to move one of the higher value non core forwards (Girgensons, Ennis, Kane, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad