Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 5/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Hmm, you COULD afford Erik Karlsson. 10 years at 11 million? Probably takes a pick and a prospect to trade Beaulieu, Sobotka and one of Larsson/Girgensons to create cap space this year. Then a first- and secondrounder together with top prospect Asplund and Guhle plus Olofsson to trade for Karlsson. But then it would look nice:

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Rodriguez - Berglund - Pominville
Wilson - Larsson - Thompson
Nylander

Scandella - Karlsson
McCabe - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Hunwick

Hutton / Wedgewood
Yeah, that should do it. Then when Eichel has established himself as one of the best centers to play in the last 20 years, if not the best, we'll dump him off for a first, a second, and a guy who might make the 3rd line someday, a guy who might make the second pairing someday, and a complete unknown B prospect winger with a nice shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yeah, that should do it. Then when Eichel has established himself as one of the best centers to play in the last 20 years, if not the best, we'll dump him off for a first, a second, and a guy who might make the 3rd line someday, a guy who might make the second pairing someday, and a complete unknown B prospect winger with a nice shot.

Point taken. The market for Karlsson might not be as big as one can expect though. Senators dreamed about Sergachev. Don't think EK wants to go to one club for a few month and end up with another after that. If we (you) plan to aquire Karlsson (who might be thrilled to play with Dahlin btw) at deadline Sobotka might be a keeper and not very much need to be traded at all (to create cap space).Let's just hope you get to the playoffs!

NOT MANY TEAMS CAN PAY FOR KARLSSON but you can. Take the chance for a phenomenal turnaround! New trade idea below:

To Senators:

firstrounder in 2019
firstrounder in 2020
secondrounder
Beaulieu
McCabe or Guhle
Nylander
Asplund

Team: (posterior linus mortem)

Sobotka - Larsson - Thompson
Wilson - Olofsson

Scandella - Karlsson
McCabe - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Hunwick

Hutton / Wedgewood
Craig Andersson?

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Point taken. The market for Karlsson might not be as big as one can expect though. Senators dreamed about Sergachev. Don't think EK wants to go to one club for a few month and end up with another after that. If we (you) plan to aquire Karlsson (who might be thrilled to play with Dahlin btw) at deadline Sobotka might be a keeper and not very much need to be traded at all (to create cap space).Let's just hope you get to the playoffs!

NOT MANY TEAMS CAN PAY FOR KARLSSON but you can. Take the chance for a phenomenal turnaround! New trade idea below:

To Senators:

firstrounder in 2019
firstrounder in 2020
secondrounder
Beaulieu
McCabe or Guhle
Nylander
Asplund

Team: (posterior linus mortem)

Sobotka - Larsson - Thompson
Wilson - Olofsson

Scandella - Karlsson
McCabe - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Hunwick

Hutton / Wedgewood
Craig Andersson?

I like the effort, but this is another pu pu platter.

The Senators are getting a marquee young roster player or prospect for Karlsson. Someone will pay that, rental or not.

If you want a real shot at Karlsson you need to have either Risto or Mitts as one of your prime pieces.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

The Senators are getting a marquee young roster player or prospect for Karlsson. Someone will pay that, rental or not.

If you want a real shot at Karlsson you need to have either Risto or Mitts as one of your prime pieces.

They can't have Risto or Mitty :) The can get "players" for Stone and Duchene. The kind of return Senators might want is dependent on where in the "cycle" they are in the rebuild. In "full" or "total" rebuild picks are desireable imo.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Not trading risto or mitts for Karlsdon. I’ll just wait and sign him for free.

Reactions: Dingo44

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
They can't have Risto or Mitty :) The can get "players" for Stone and Duchene. The kind of return Senators might want is dependent on where in the "cycle" they are in the rebuild. In "full" or "total" rebuild picks are desireable imo.

Then you can’t have Karlsson. Doesn’t matter what type of full or total or whatever you want to call it.

You want a top 5 guy at his position, you have to pay for it. Even if he is a rental.

The guy you are asking for is a defender who outscores Eichel.

The rumors last year for Vegas going for him was 4 first rounders, before discussing roster add ons.

I’m not saying that price works for Buffalo. But it’s not something you can ignore and think a couple firsts, Guhle and some cap dump will be the best offer they they will get.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m not particularly interested in that trade either. But I doubt your getting him in ufa.
If you think your chances are slim in getting him in UFA why waste what it would take to get him for a season if he doesn't want to be here.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
EK is in a weird situation from an Ottawa trying to trade him standpoint. On one hand you have arguably the best defenseman in the NHL in his prime who in the season before last single-handily willed his team to within one goal of a Finals berth. But on the other hand this same defenseman just had a pretty big foot surgery and had the worst year of his career where he really didn't look 100% and is going to be a UFA after this season.

If Ottawa traded him during the summer of 2017, they probably could've gotten an incredible return. I don't see why a team like Tampa or Nashville wouldn't have traded multiple 1st round picks on top of a couple of those team's best prospects. But Ottawa is now stuck in a situation now where teams like Dallas and Vegas aren't willing to trade their top prospects and 1st round picks for EK. They're going to end up getting so much less than what they could've gotten for EK, and with them not even having their 1st next year that I think has a really good chance to be a top 3 pick...its just a f***ing mess. If they didn't play in our division I'd truly feel sorry for Sens fans.

Last edited:

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I'm too young to have followed hockey back in the years when the Penguins were in a really bad place before they got Lemueix/Crosby & when Chicago was one of the worst franchises in North America before Kane & Toews...but Ottawa has to be kind of close to that right?

Over $200,000,000 in debt, a horrible owner, horrible locker room, bad location for fans to get to the arena, not selling out for Conference Finals games, and everything that has happened this summer with them...I mean how much worse can it really get for a team?

I'd glady go through the 2010-2018 years again for the Bills and Sabres before having to live through what has happened to the Sens in the past 1-2 years & what's going to happen to them moving forward. Poor Brady Tkachuck lol.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Sabres aren't one player away from the Cup so trading for Karlsson is insanity. It's total I'll take one marshmallow now. If Karlsson believes in the Sabres and if we think we can make him fit then sign him in free agency. It's all good to speculate here as a fan but to actually pull the trigger on what it would take to get UFA to be Karlsson with no guarantee with the Sabres as presently constructed is a fireable offense.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Sabres aren't one player away from the Cup so trading for Karlsson is insanity. It's total I'll take one marshmallow now. If Karlsson believes in the Sabres and if we think we can make him fit then sign him in free agency. It's all good to speculate here as a fan but to actually pull the trigger on what it would take to get UFA to be Karlsson with no guarantee with the Sabres as presently constructed is a fireable offense.

I think Buffalo IS one player away if Karlsson arrives, a goalie! EK also want UFA money and get to a team that has the chance to win. The team that trades for him is the one he keeps playing with.

Above all Karlsson would (have been) straightening up the defense pairings so that there would be clear roles, even if that meant Bogosian on a third pairing. A "happy" Dahlin-supporting career-turning Bogo. With all the picks you stockpiled and all the prospects now and the cap space and a first overall from the same part of the country as Karlsson raising the idea of a trade should at least be considered.

Depending on deadline situations Faulk and Barrie could be options, both with two more years to UFA.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I’m not saying that price works for Buffalo. But it’s not something you can ignore and think a couple firsts, Guhle and some cap dump will be the best offer they they will get.

Plus the two top prospects mentioned...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Look at the Sens roster that was 1 game away from finals. Don't make the ROR trade, acquire Karlsson, hire Sutter, hope the stars align. It could have been done.

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Plus the two top prospects mentioned...

I wouldn’t call either guy a top prospect. Mitts is a top prospect. Guhle is close to a top prospect because of how good his floor looks.

Asplund looks like a really solid top 9 guy, nice to have, but not impossible to find. Nylander is closer to bust than top prospect.

Think about it this way, if you feel like a trade for Karlsson is fair and a good deal for the Sabres, you probably are not putting enough in.

The player you are trading for is better than anyone to wear a Sabres uniform since Hasek.

The package you are talking about is about what we gave Colorado for O’Reilly. Karlsson is on a whole nother level.

For example, Pronger forced a trade from Edmonton, at age 32, and returned Lupul, a 7th overall pick who had scored 28 goals the year before the trade, Ladislav Smid, fresh off a great season in the ahl who immediately was nhl ready, your Guhle type, a first that year, a 2nd that year and a conditional first that kicked in two years later.

So in all 2 first rounders, a 2nd, a top defender prospect nhl ready and a young star scorer at the time.

So basically your trade, minus some fluff like nylander or asplund and adding Mitts, if Mitts had a 50 point season under his belt.

Superstars are expensive.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I wouldn’t call either guy a top prospect. Mitts is a top prospect. Guhle is close to a top prospect because of how good his floor looks.

Asplund looks like a really solid top 9 guy, nice to have, but not impossible to find. Nylander is closer to bust than top prospect.

Think about it this way, if you feel like a trade for Karlsson is fair and a good deal for the Sabres, you probably are not putting enough in.

The player you are trading for is better than anyone to wear a Sabres uniform since Hasek.

The package you are talking about is about what we gave Colorado for O’Reilly. Karlsson is on a whole nother level.

For example, Pronger forced a trade from Edmonton, at age 32, and returned Lupul, a 7th overall pick who had scored 28 goals the year before the trade, Ladislav Smid, fresh off a great season in the ahl who immediately was nhl ready, your Guhle type, a first that year, a 2nd that year and a conditional first that kicked in two years later.

So in all 2 first rounders, a 2nd, a top defender prospect nhl ready and a young star scorer at the time.

So basically your trade, minus some fluff like nylander or asplund and adding Mitts, if Mitts had a 50 point season under his belt.

We'd be banking on Ottawa getting desperate. Teams aren't meeting their price. They won't want to let Karlsson just walk away.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Right. So why bother for a year of Karlsson, especially when we can get him free next summer if we want him and he wants us?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We'd be banking on Ottawa getting desperate. Teams aren't meeting their price. They won't want to let Karlsson just walk away.

Sure, if they get crazy desperate. Somehow I think someone will pony up for a piece like him either at the deadline or early in the year.

I just can’t imagine that will be the best offer.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Right. So why bother for a year of Karlsson, especially when we can get him free next summer if we want him and he wants us?

Ya I’m not saying we should. Just that a package where the best piece is Guhle, is not getting it done.

I’d be far more interested in poaching a cap casualty from Tampa if they get Karlsson, than trading for EK himself

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sure, if they get crazy desperate. Somehow I think someone will pony up for a piece like him either at the deadline or early in the year.

I just can’t imagine that will be the best offer.
I couldn't imagine what we got for ROR would have been the best offer but here we are...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I couldn't imagine what we got for ROR would have been the best offer but here we are...

Different scenarios, different player. Karlsson’s star appeal is in a different stratosphere than O’Reilly. And Ottawa really can’t afford to just be garbage this year.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Mitts is a top prospect. Guhle is close to a top prospect because of how good his floor looks. Asplund looks like a really solid top 9 guy, nice to have, but not impossible to find. Nylander is closer to bust than top prospect.

The package you are talking about is about what we gave Colorado for O’Reilly.

We are talking trade deadline here. I am sure Sabres want Karlsson for the whole season but that would be a too hard blow to the Senators.

Were there cap space considerations at that time? Karlsson may walk for free a few months after trade deadline. He is a rental for 12 games or so. And will command a salary at 11-12 million if he can skate. No GM will offer Mitty for that. And wasn't the O'Reilly trade about Zadorov, a prospect and a secondrounder?

I think it's possible that both Senators, unknown team to us and Karlsson have a mutual interest in swinging a deal. There won't be a highest bidder. If the wrong team wins it the price won't be as high as what the team Karlsson wants to got to and reach a mutual agreement with can offer. They get Karlsson for more than 12 games. And in Tampa's case the playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad