Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 3/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
We have three top-4 caliber defensemen. Three is less than Four. I really don't understand the argument against trying to get a fourth.

Let me preface this by saying I am not against improving our talent at any position, and every positional group absolutely needs to improve... But I agree with @CacOBG here, improving our forwards should take priority because as a group they extremely lacking:
  • Eichel - good
  • Reinhart - good (hopefully for all 82 games)
  • Sheary - fine complimentary player
  • Okposo - slow foot speed, below replacement level production last year, is a rebound probable or plausible?
  • Rodrigues - The bulk of his production last year came over 2 months, the rest of his career he's been an AHL tweener, waiting for the real Erod to stand up this year
  • Mittelstadt - Rookie
  • Berglund - Vet presence, what's his best role?
  • Pominville - watching him skate or compete for a loose puck will make your eyes bleed
  • Girgensons - Fine role player, limited offense
  • Wilson - See description for Girgs
  • Larsson- See description for Wilson
  • Sobotka- He used to be a "See description for Girgs" guy, but word from @struckbyaparkedcar is that he is now Filppula-level bad. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play, but I'm not optimistic
  • Thompson - Rookie
  • Baptiste - AHL - Bottom 6 tweener with consistency issues, still waiting for his development to mature
  • Bailey - Bottom 6 perimeter scorer that hasn't figured out how to score in the NHL yet, still waiting for his development to mature
That's way too many question marks for my comfort level. This lineup will have me hoping half the team gets the flu by Christmas so we can see what the kids in Roch have to offer.

We currently have 3 legit top 4 dmen, You can count the number of teams with 4 legitimate 'top 4' caliber defensmen on one hand, and two of them have had shit results (Calgary & Carolina). Tampa was a Stanley cup favorite last year with Dan Girardi in their top 4 prior to obtaining Sergachev. If Bogo and McCabe are healthier than last year (and Scandella, everyone forgets that he missed all of camp and preseason recovering from hip surgery), I think our defense will be fine.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
We wont make the playoffs this year, but the Sabres will score more goals, they will also allow more goals but 6-5 losses are more exciting then 5-2 losses.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Regarding Berglund: I didn't pay too much attention to him in St. Louis, despite watching the team quite a bit. Found this video while reading up on him:

He's had quite an impressive individual goal scoring rate (it actually improved after last season) to go along with his defensive acumen.

What's more likely for him, Jack's LW or 3rd line C (or other)?

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Why not? Other stud rookies on other teams are on day 1.... why is it on this board, that is just not allowed? It’s crazy.
I don't get that either...Barzal came out of nowhere (maybe not nowhere, but he was on pretty much zero preseason Calder lists) to score 85 points and win Rookie of the Year. Everyone saying Mitts can't do the same is suffering from Buffitis.

It's not logical to predict that he *will*, but to say that he can't is equally nonsensical.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't get that either...Barzal came out of nowhere (maybe not nowhere, but he was on pretty much zero preseason Calder lists) to score 85 points and win Rookie of the Year. Everyone saying Mitts can't do the same is suffering from Buffitis.

It's not logical to predict that he *will*, but to say that he can't is equally nonsensical.

The fact that he was almost a PPG during his short stint at the end of last season has me hopeful about what he can do after a full offseason to prepare.

I doubt he goes full Barzal, but I could see him having quite a good rookie season offensively.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If only ROR was traded for a top 4 D, then we could focus on the ugly forward corps.

The forward lines look just as bad as the D line next year except the forwards dont have Guhle, Borgen and Samuelsson knocking at the door which could easily round out our top 4 nice and add depth.

For forwards its "let's hope these centers we draft can learn to play on the wing in the NHL" bad.

How about draft some actual players at the position they played for their entire life more.

The best wingers in the NHL were drafted at wing where they played their entire junior career. I have already researched this, not at center, very few centers transition to be very good wingers.

This team is such a mess and our best trade chip was used horribly.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Didn't you hear? Mittelstadt and Dahlin will be impact players from day 1.
Both are top 5 Calder candidates. Not crazy to think both impact. Similar impact to Eichel and Reinhart in 2015. I won't be surprised if we get 90 points combined between them.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Barzal was graded as top 5 prospect on many many preseason lists for the 2015 draft. He was also the #1 overall pick in the bantam draft several years prior. He was a very highly touted prospect for many years that slipped because of an injury during his draft year (similar thing happened to Konecny). Bottom line is he's not really comparable to Mitts. I'm wouldn't say Mitts can't explode, but it would be unexpected based on his collegiate scoring rates and development path.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There is no reason why Middlestadt cant do what Barzal did. I honestly think he will be better than Hischier and Patrick when all is said and done.

Reactions: Reddawg

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
No one will take him for 3 years at the deadline. The Blues tried already and couldn’t.

If we moved him at the next TDL (2020 spring), and he has scored at least 20 each season, it would actually be quite easy to move him with two year remaining. 20+ goal scorers don't grow on trees. If he scores 30 each of next two seasons, he would probably be worth more than a 1st, that would be a bona fide 1st line production.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There is no reason why Middlestadt cant do what Barzal did. I honestly think he will be better than Hischier and Patrick when all is said and done.

Really? 13th in the league in points with 85, while tying a 100 year old record by having three 5-point games as a rookie?

I can think of 20 reasons without breaking a sweat why Mitts won't be able to do that. The first of which being that the record is no longer 100 years old...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Really? 13th in the league in points with 85, while tying a 100 year old record by having three 5-point games as a rookie?

I can think of 20 reasons without breaking a sweat why Mitts won't be able to do that. The first of which being that the record is no longer 100 years old...
I am sure Islanders fans said the same thing until it happened.

The bottom line is its not impossible.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If only ROR was traded for a top 4 D, then we could focus on the ugly forward corps.

The forward lines look just as bad as the D line next year except the forwards dont have Guhle, Borgen and Samuelsson knocking at the door which could easily round out our top 4 nice and add depth.

For forwards its "let's hope these centers we draft can learn to play on the wing in the NHL" bad.

How about draft some actual players at the position they played for their entire life more.

The best wingers in the NHL were drafted at wing where they played their entire junior career. I have already researched this, not at center, very few centers transition to be very good wingers.

This team is such a mess and our best trade chip was used horribly.

The forwards have Asplund, Pu, Davidsson, and Olafsson knocking on the door. That's a better crop than the three defenders you've listed.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Top 9:

Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Okposo, Sheary, Berglund, Rodrigues..

those 7 are good bets. 1 more spot should be up for grabs, and another should be traded for.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Top 9:

Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Okposo, Sheary, Berglund, Rodrigues..

those 7 are good bets. 1 more spot should be up for grabs, and another should be traded for.
If we can relegate Sobotka-Larsson-Pominville to the 4th line... I'd put Girgensons in that group. And probably see if one of the kids can earn the last spot.

EDIT:
Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
ERod-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Berglund-??? Thompson? Baptiste?
Sobotka-Larsson-Pominville

What're the odds of SLP randomly clicking like FLG did? :laugh: I mean they have Larsson acting as Larsson, the "shouldn't be in the top 6" vet in Pommers acting as Gionta, and the "shows up once every dozen games" role player in Sobotka acting as Foligno. It's perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad