Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 3/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I keep forgetting about Wilson. So many fringe bottom 6 guys on this team. :confused:

EDIT:
Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
ERod-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Berglund-Sobotka
Wilson-Larsson-Pominville

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The forwards have Asplund, Pu, Davidsson, and Olafsson knocking on the door. That's a better crop than the three defenders you've listed.
All are centers except for Olofsson, we do need someone to fill in at 2C whoever that may be but like I said, converting centers to wingers create potential top 9 wingers or busts. Very few make stars in this league and those that are stars were drafted at that position after playing at the position in juniors.

I think our future at D and C is a lot brighter than our future on the wing.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think they try Sam at center again for the first part of the year.

Berglund-Eichel-Baptiste
Sheary-Reinhart-Pominville
Erod-Mitts-Okposo
Girgensons-Sobotka-Wilson
Bailey
Darkhorse candidate: Oglevie

Scandella-Risto
Dahlin-Bogo
Hunwick-McCabe
Nelson

Larsson (trade)
Thompson (minors)
Beaulieu (waivers)

Reactions: Top Pair Imposter

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I keep forgetting about Wilson. So many fringe bottom 6 guys on this team. :confused:

EDIT:
Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
ERod-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Berglund-Sobotka
I'd switch Reinhart and ERod, also bump Sobotka down to 4th line LW.

IMO:

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
Berglund-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Sobotka-Erod

Flip those top 9 around pretty much any way you want.

The D is a little more iffy, as we're not sure if Dahlin is playing LD or RD yet.
Berglund probably isn't 2nd line caliber. Ideally he shouldn't be there for a full season, and someone overtakes him on the depth chart.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'd switch Reinhart and ERod, also bump Sobotka down to 4th line LW.
ERod and Mittelstadt were money to end the year last year, I definitely saw some chemistry forming. Though it would be interesting to see ERod and Jack reunite finally. We already know Reinhart is comfortable on Eichel's RW though.

Not sure where to put Sobotka really. I'd prefer him on the 4th line but I feel like him being 3rd line RW helps everyone else fall into their ideal positions.

Reactions: jc17

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Berglund probably isn't 2nd line caliber. Ideally he shouldn't be there for a full season, and someone overtakes him on the depth chart.

I don't think I necessarily disagree with you, but it'd be nice to have Bergy there in order to take a lot of defensive pressure off Casey and take faceoffs if/when Casey struggles. I'm thinking of him as a safety blanket for Casey to start the year.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
ERod and Mittelstadt were money to end the year last year, I definitely saw some chemistry forming. Though it would be interesting to see ERod and Jack reunite finally. We already know Reinhart is comfortable on Eichel's RW though.

Not sure where to put Sobotka really. I'd prefer him on the 4th line but I feel like him being 3rd line RW helps everyone else fall into their ideal positions.

I agree, I've had Erod-Mitts-KO as a line in my head the entire offseason, the trio definitely looked good during their brief stint together.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Mitts. His end of the year reminds me so much of Casey Nelson's first trip to the show, where every single time the puck came off his stick he got a primary assist. That offseason many were penciling Nelson into the top 4, his spot in the lineup was an afterthought.

Reactions: jc17

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe we should just try and develop Ristolainen the same way SJS did when they got Burns years ago...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
what's an educated guess at lines rn?

What I think they look, will be different than what I would want:

What I think they will be:
Sheary-Eichel-Okposo
Berglund-Mitts-Reinhart
Erod-Sobotka-Wilson
Baptiste-Larsson-Pominville

Scandella-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Bogosian
McCabe-Nelson

What I would want:

Mittelstadt-Eichel-Wilson
Sheary-Reinhart-Okposo
Berglund-Girgensons-Erod
Sobotka-Larsson-Baptiste

McCabe-Ristolainen
Scandella-Dahlin
Pilut-Bogosian

Reactions: Top Pair Imposter

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think they try Sam at center again for the first part of the year.

Berglund-Eichel-Baptiste
Sheary-Reinhart-Pominville
Erod-Mitts-Okposo
Girgensons-Sobotka-Wilson
Bailey
Darkhorse candidate: Oglevie

Scandella-Risto
Dahlin-Bogo
Hunwick-McCabe
Nelson

Larsson (trade)
Thompson (minors)
Beaulieu (waivers)

Don’t hate this at all to start the year. I’d like to see Olofsson in there at some point, but that is to be seen at camp.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Don’t hate this at all to start the year. I’d like to see Olofsson in there at some point, but that is to be seen at camp.

I would love to see about a half dozen of the guys slated for Rochester force their way onto the roster with their play in the early part of the season, that level of competition hasn't been seen around here in a long time. Either way I'll probably enjoy watching the Amerks more than the Sabres this year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Scanning the trade board and saw a proposal that included Detroit's svech and the oilers bear/Jones and got me thinking...

With the additions of pilut and samuelsson this year, as well as a hopeful bounce back from a guy like mccabe would sabres fans consider a deal around Guhle for the lesser svech? I have more confidence in him rebounding than I do nylander...maybe the stars align and both bounce back and we suddenly have 2 wing snipers at the expense of an explosive dman who is battling for a roster spot...

Defense isnt really a position of strength we can trade out of for sure but between thompson, svech, and Nylander as well as oolofson etc if gives us anothet internal option to fix our top 6/9...?

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Scanning the trade board and saw a proposal that included Detroit's svech and the oilers bear/Jones and got me thinking...

With the additions of pilut and samuelsson this year, as well as a hopeful bounce back from a guy like mccabe would sabres fans consider a deal around Guhle for the lesser svech? I have more confidence in him rebounding than I do nylander...maybe the stars align and both bounce back and we suddenly have 2 wing snipers at the expense of an explosive dman who is battling for a roster spot...

Defense isnt really a position of strength we can trade out of for sure but between thompson, svech, and Nylander as well as oolofson etc if gives us anothet internal option to fix our top 6/9...?
I’d do it for McCabe+, not for Guhle

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Line up predictions are finally hard. So much competition. Going to be a fun training camp. Thanks Botterill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad