Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 3/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I still can't believe we got Dahlin. It's going to be so refreshing to see a player of that caliber on the blueline. Then add in Eichel, Mittelstadt, Reinhart, and Risto...it really is a very good core to build upon. They're going to need an actual supporting cast to win, and hopefully prospects like Asplund/Samuelsson/Olofosson/Nylander/etc. can step in and make this a deep team.

If we don't win a cup in the next 15 years...

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Mantha or Zucker (both RFAs) I've watched a lot of Mantha, personally I think he's a good skater and I love his shot. Gets a few garbage goals from infront of the net using his size.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I need one more solid move for a legit 20+ goal winger without giving up any top prospects or our 1st next season.

Players I consider top prospects are Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Guhle, and Asplund.

Make it happen Botterill.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I need one more solid move for a legit 20+ goal winger without giving up any top prospects or our 1st next season.

Players I consider top prospects are Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Guhle, and Asplund.

Make it happen Botterill.
If we don't include any of these we are probably getting a rental like Skinner or Patches. Not sure I want to invest the assets required for 1 year of these 2.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'd like to sign Dan Hamhuis, smart and can still play and has leadership skills. Anybody who's good at analytics research please provide some Hamhuis analysis. I see he did play 20 minutes a night for Dallas last season, Corsi was 50%, zone starts tilted to the defensive zone.

I so want to get rid of Bogosian, was on his Instagram, he's a big guy but to me he looked soft and kinda fat in shirtless photos.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'd like to sign Dan Hamhuis, smart and can still play and has leadership skills. Anybody who's good at analytics research please provide some Hamhuis analysis. I see he did play 20 minutes a night for Dallas last season, Corsi was 50%, zone starts tilted to the defensive zone.

I so want to get rid of Bogosian, was on his Instagram, he's a big guy but to me he looked soft and kinda fat in shirtless photos.
maybe developing a bit of a dad bod will make him less fragile, guy used to be almost too ripped.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What do folks think about Girgensons these days? I would've seen him as a prime change of scenery candidate, but I don't see him getting moved at this point. I'm guessing he'll just continue floating around the bottom 6 wings, as he has been, until he sticks undeniably somewhere or gets moved/let go to free agency.

What does he need to succeed? He's still a pretty young guy. I think his offensive ability is limited despite showing flashes under Nolan. I always kinda wished he had more of an edge to his game... outside of eating big hits, throwing his body around and generally falling over a lot in the process. Maybe if he took Botts directions to train hard this offseason to heart, he looks a little different this year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
When was the surgery? I don't even remember.
Re-read the post you quoted :laugh:

I suppose it may have actually taken place in early February. A Buffalo News article from January 26 (a Friday) refers to the surgery as being scheduled for "next week".

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
What do folks think about Girgensons these days? I would've seen him as a prime change of scenery candidate, but I don't see him getting moved at this point. I'm guessing he'll just continue floating around the bottom 6 wings, as he has been, until he sticks undeniably somewhere or gets moved/let go to free agency.

What does he need to succeed? He's still a pretty young guy. I think his offensive ability is limited despite showing flashes under Nolan. I always kinda wished he had more of an edge to his game... outside of eating big hits, throwing his body around and generally falling over a lot in the process. Maybe if he took Botts directions to train hard this offseason to heart, he looks a little different this year.

He can’t play the system. He struggles hard with luck retrieval too.

Needs a trade to Vegas. But I think he’s a great shutdown guy.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
There's no reason for anyone to believe what I say, but I had a long chat with some "non Sabres/NHL affiliated" people at a party earlier today and I was told that everyone loves ROR and Jack...the problem was that the team just sucked.

So locker room problems or not, winning really does fix everything. When you lose over 70-80% of your games every year, there's gonna be issues. ROR is not a locker room cancer...the team just needed a slap in the face. And hopefully they wake up.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There's no reason for anyone to believe what I say, but I had a long chat with some "non Sabres/NHL affiliated" people at a party earlier today and I was told that everyone loves ROR and Jack...the problem was that the team just sucked.

So locker room problems or not, winning really does fix everything. When you lose over 70-80% of your games every year, there's gonna be issues. ROR is not a locker room cancer...the team just needed a slap in the face. And hopefully they wake up.
I wish the team got slapped with someone other than ROR then. That center depth is all question marks now after Eichel.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I wish the team got slapped with someone other than ROR then. That center depth is all question marks now after Eichel.

I think the organization sees Mitts as a high end 1C talent, and I agree with them. I also think they are confident with Sam being able to step in as the 2C and produce (agree with that as well). Moving ROR hopefully is a huge wake up call to Jack/Sam/Risto/Okposo that their play/results so far has been unacceptable...and I think we see a huge improvement next year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Grossly disappointing if true. Trading your second best and most relied upon player for spare parts just "wake up" the rest of the team? Yikes.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think the organization sees Mitts as a high end 1C talent, and I agree with them. I also think they are confident with Sam being able to step in as the 2C and produce (agree with that as well). Moving ROR hopefully is a huge wake up call to Jack/Sam/Risto/Okposo that their play/results so far has been unacceptable...and I think we see a huge improvement next year.
I'd rather have ROR sheltering whoever is gonna take over for him at 3C. Revisit a ROR trade next season when your more confident at someone playing center. Housley wont have the patience, one mistake and Reinhart or Middlestadt will get thrown to the wing and we will have Berglund playing 2C and Larsson at 3C.

*pukes*

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Grossly disappointing if true. Trading your second best and most relied upon player for spare parts just "wake up" the rest of the team? Yikes.

It's more than that. It's setting the standard that 20-25 wins a season is totally unacceptable, and it could be going the Bills route of having guys here that really want to be here. Yea maybe ROR was universally liked/respected, but did he really see himself as a long term piece to the organization? Who knows, maybe he saw himself as a player starting to get to the the back half of his career and he wanted to go somewhere where he had a higher chance of winning?

There's also no reason for you or even me to believe that the info of ROR being a well liked guy is true. Everyone has an agenda, you really can't fully believe anything people say.

Reactions: Icicle

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's more than that. It's setting the standard that 20-25 wins a season is totally unacceptable, and it could be going the Bills route of having guys here that really want to be here. Yea maybe ROR was universally liked/respected, but did he really see himself as a long term piece to the organization? Who knows, maybe he saw himself as a player starting to get to the the back half of his career and he wanted to go somewhere where he had a higher chance of winning?
What's unacceptable is making the team worse in order to "send a message" so I hope the same standards apply to coaching and management.

Reactions: darcyRegier

ClarksonSabresFan

Jun 26, 2018

The problem with Bogosian is that he just had surgery on his hip, but his knees are beyond repair. The guy has always had an issue with one of them, and almost every season he misses time due to it. It definitely put a damper on his development over his career. He was never going to live up to his draft position, but his development over his career was definitely effected by all of the injuries he’s endured.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Like Friedman’s 31 thoughts, here are my much less informed 3+1 thoughts.

1. Sabres trade Johann Larsson and a 5th for Ryan Callahan and a 3rd. I think Larsson should be moved. In this option, Tampa is able to shed a lot of salary for only a change in picks. The Sabres get back a 3rd they moved for Sheary and add a WNYer with tremendous leadership ability. Callahan can still contribute in the bottom six and the Sabres can eat the contract for two more seasons.

2. Sam Reinhart is not a center. I’m fine if we want to give him another chance, but I don’t have any faith in it working. I believe that is why Berglund and Sobotka were brought back in the Blues trade (besides the salary part). One of them will fill the open Center position.

3. Therefore, Sabres trade Reinhart for Mark Stone. Stone is older, but it would be another “shake-up” move to a far more proven offensive threat. Ottawa could save money while also having the potential to get better or be adding a potential #1 center.

+1. Mittlestadt would be a better captain than Jack. Because he’s older and supposed to be the better player, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack become the captain. However, what I see from Mittlestadt is the feistier more competitive player that will have a better two way game that I like to call “captain”. Dahlin is also potentially a good choice, but I have a man-crush on Casey. He may become the bigger fan favorite than Jack by the end of next season, if people haven’t just switched their loyalties to Dahlin.

Sheary-Eichel-Stone
Berglund-Mittlestadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Rodrigues-Baptiste
Wilson-Sobotka-Callahan
Pominville (Bailey part of the Reinhart - Stone trade?)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Like Friedman’s 31 thoughts, here are my much less informed 3+1 thoughts.

1. Sabres trade Johann Larsson and a 5th for Ryan Callahan and a 3rd. I think Larsson should be moved. In this option, Tampa is able to shed a lot of salary for only a change in picks. The Sabres get back a 3rd they moved for Sheary and add a WNYer with tremendous leadership ability. Callahan can still contribute in the bottom six and the Sabres can eat the contract for two more seasons.

2. Sam Reinhart is not a center. I’m fine if we want to give him another chance, but I don’t have any faith in it working. I believe that is why Berglund and Sobotka were brought back in the Blues trade (besides the salary part). One of them will fill the open Center position.

3. Therefore, Sabres trade Reinhart for Mark Stone. Stone is older, but it would be another “shake-up” move to a far more proven offensive threat. Ottawa could save money while also having the potential to get better or be adding a potential #1 center.

+1. Mittlestadt would be a better captain than Jack. Because he’s older and supposed to be the better player, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jack become the captain. However, what I see from Mittlestadt is the feistier more competitive player that will have a better two way game that I like to call “captain”. Dahlin is also potentially a good choice, but I have a man-crush on Casey. He may become the bigger fan favorite than Jack by the end of next season, if people haven’t just switched their loyalties to Dahlin.

Sheary-Eichel-Stone
Berglund-Mittlestadt-Okposo
Girgensons-Rodrigues-Baptiste
Wilson-Sobotka-Callahan
Pominville (Bailey part of the Reinhart - Stone trade?)
People saying Reinhart is not a center triggers me every time. Another chance? How about a real 1st chance.

Reactions: dugman and Aladyyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad