Speculation: Roster Speculation: 2017-18 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Simple Offseason... No major trades or signings. It's the "see what we have" approach.

1. Waive Deslauriers to Rochester
2. Gorges to LV in Expansion
3. Sign Brendan Smith to a 2-3 year moderate deal (3.25?)
4. Sign RFAs (ballpark #s
Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

Kane-Eichel-Ennis - Kane and Ennis get to pump up their value with Eichel on a full blast offensive line.

Carrier-ROR-Okposo - This line works very well. They are going to see shutdown type shifts, while being relied on for offense. They can handle it, as long as ROR isn't Bylsma'd again

Moulson-Reinhart-Nylander - Unshackling Reinhart, under easy matchups. We squeeze every last ounce of usefullness out of Moulson before Fasching/Bailey take his spot.

Foligno-Larsson-Girgensons - reducing the burden on ROR by picking up matchups, d zone starts, and PK

x Rodrigues

McCabe-Risto - we need to find out under acceptable circumstances, whether this pair can work long term

Smith-Bogo - we need to find out if Bogo is a capable NHL defensemen under acceptable circumstances

Guhle-Antipin - both project to be big parts of the future, let them get acquainted early.

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

Basically... let's see what we really have... before making any major moves.

Oh... and this approach leaves us around 12 million in cap space.

I like it, but as the most capable dman on the market, I think Smith is going to get wildly overpaid/overtermed. I want no part of a 7 year-$5million deal like he might get for a 2nd pairing defenseman.

sabres19892

Jul 5, 2007
Simple Offseason... No major trades or signings. It's the "see what we have" approach.

Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

Kane-Eichel-Ennis - Kane and Ennis get to pump up their value with Eichel on a full blast offensive line.

Carrier-ROR-Okposo - This line works very well. They are going to see shutdown type shifts, while being relied on for offense. They can handle it, as long as ROR isn't Bylsma'd again

Moulson-Reinhart-Nylander - Unshackling Reinhart, under easy matchups. We squeeze every last ounce of usefullness out of Moulson before Fasching/Bailey take his spot.

Foligno-Larsson-Girgensons - reducing the burden on ROR by picking up matchups, d zone starts, and PK

x Rodrigues

McCabe-Risto - we need to find out under acceptable circumstances, whether this pair can work long term

Smith-Bogo - we need to find out if Bogo is a capable NHL defensemen under acceptable circumstances

Guhle-Antipin - both project to be big parts of the future, let them get acquainted early.

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

I like this plan to a tee. If Gorges goes to LV I will be surprised, but man that would be amazing.

Now the lines are where I sort of disagree. I would keep the second line together. Although I want to see Okposo some more with Eichel or Reinhart.

I would under the same plan probably do something like this.

Girgensons-Eichel-Ennis (Girgensons and Eichel have been solid in the little time they had together.)
Carrier-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Reinhart-Nylander (I like the dynamic of this line, although I worry about the way Nylander-Reinhart play clashing with each other because they both like to defer. Maybe that will work though?)
Foligno-Larsson-Moulson

I am totally fine with the D pairings.

Smith may demand more. I still expect Alzner and Del Zotto to be the top 2 UFA Defensemen.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

x Rodrigues

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

None of this would upset me. I dig it.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

x Rodrigues

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

You're stuck having one of two trash forwards out for half the game and your best defensive player is... Risto still?

That offseason needs to turn Bogo into Lovejoy/Oduya/generic heat sink guy, or acquire a more stalwart defensive player in place of Smith.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
<The Jame 5/11/17 plan>

I like this plan to a tee. If Gorges goes to LV I will be surprised, but man that would be amazing.

Now the lines are where I sort of disagree. I would keep the second line together. Although I want to see Okposo some more with Eichel or Reinhart.

I would under the same plan probably do something like this.

Girgensons-Eichel-Ennis (Girgensons and Eichel have been solid in the little time they had together.)
Carrier-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Reinhart-Nylander (I like the dynamic of this line, although I worry about the way Nylander-Reinhart play clashing with each other because they both like to defer. Maybe that will work though?)
Foligno-Larsson-Moulson

I am totally fine with the D pairings.

Smith may demand more. I still expect Alzner and Del Zotto to be the top 2 UFA Defensemen.
As you suggest, the wings can be shuffled to make them more balanced in the continuum of "offensive" vs. "defensive" lines.

The questions I would have is whether it's better for Nylander to have a longer stint in the AHL & get stronger. Bailey / Baptiste / Fasching are certainly stouter. If Botterill isn't long on Nylander, though, why not show him off to maybe flip at the deadline for a pending UFA top-4 D-man, if the Sabres season is going well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
1) Georges to LV in expansion
2) Find a way to unload Ennis
3) Grin and bare Moulson one more year
4) 8OA or Nylander for Tanev
5) Sign a vet UFA LHD (Trevor Daley?)
6) Sign a low dollar bang for buck depth scoring option
7) Re-sign Gionta or bring in a good defensive forward

Bailey/Baptise/Fasching/Nylander/UFA-Eichel-Okposo
Carrier-ROR-Girgensons
Moulson-Reinhart-Kane
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta/UFA

McCabe/Bogo-Risto
Daley/UFA-Tanev
McCabe/Bogo-Antipin

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Ennis on the first line is terrible. He's not fast anymore, his only asset keeping him an NHL player.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

x Rodrigues

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

I'd flip smith to Hainsey given history with gm Jason and bogosian.

Also, again, I hate that first line. If this model is chosen, I'd want to add 1 more that somehow swaps Ennis for more of a passenger player, defensive acumen is a bonus. Connor sheary is a rfa...my dream in palat is also a rfa...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd flip smith to Hainsey given history with gm Jason and bogosian.

Also, again, I hate that first line. If this model is chosen, I'd want to add 1 more that somehow swaps Ennis for more of a passenger player, defensive acumen is a bonus. Connor sheary is a rfa...my dream in palat is also a rfa...

yea, I like the Hainsey idea too... good call.

The only way that Ennis contract comes off our books before Eichel/Reinhart next contracts, is by trying to jump start his offensive game. Hopefully he can slop points off Eichel's dominance

The primary aspect of my approach remains, "let's see what we really have here before we go out trying to solve problems with mega trades or big contracts".

It's also more realistic as an offseason plan, when it doesn't include 3-4 best case scenario moves (LV takes Ennis, we trade for Tanev, and trade for Fowler, etc)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ennis on the first line is terrible. He's not fast anymore, his only asset keeping him an NHL player.

Ennis has always been terrible IMO. But one of the best case scenarios for the franchise is that he could slop 15 points off Eichel in 25-30 games and we could trade him.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Ennis has always been terrible IMO. But one of the best case scenarios for the franchise is that he could slop 15 points off Eichel in 25-30 games and we could trade him.

The best case scenario is he is taken by LV

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Similar to the best case scenario where Vancouver does us an illogical favor and trades us Tanev.

I'm preparing for the more likely outcome.

Vegas has a fairly weak class of forwards to pick from. Ennis could be their best option at 2C with some sort of age and experience behind him. It isn't as comparable as a Tanev trade

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Vegas has a fairly weak class of forwards to pick from. Ennis could be their best option at 2C with some sort of age and experience behind him. It isn't as comparable as a Tanev trade

No way is he going to be the best option at 2C. They already have Shipachyov before the expansion draft.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Ennis to LV
Sign Williams
Sign Hainsey
Kane+ for Tanev.

Girgensons-Eichel-Williams
Carrier-ROR-Okposo
Bailey-Reinhart-Erod
Foligno-Larson-Gionta
Vet FA

McCabe-Tanev
Hainsey-Risto
Antipin-Bogo
Falk
Gorges

Lehner
Ullmark

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Am I the only one that would rather see Ennis/Moulson or Bogo taken in the ED?

Gorges isn't pretty bad but I'm looking for flexibility going forward. Getting Rid of Ennis/Moulson does that.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I think a combo of Botteril + Housley can fix Bogosian with better deployment and a partner acquisition. Hes overpaid for what he is now, but Moulson and Ennis are both useless

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I like putting Ennis with Eichel. And Kane. That line would give up 3 goals a game. But they might score five. It would be fun.

I think Baptiste is ready to take a step next year.

He showed close to Hagelin speed and finish. He is big enough to be physical regularly. He needs consistent play. I say he should learn it this year. Regular top 9 play will give him enough chances to get reps being a sniper that any of Reinhart Eichel O'Reilly can hit in open spaces. Young Chris Kreider?

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

Foligno 1 yr / 2.0
Girgenson 2 years / 1.75
Larsson 2 years / 1.75
Lehner 3 years / 4.5
Ullmakr 1 year / 700k
Rodrigues 1 year / 900k

x Rodrigues

x Falk

Lehner
Ullmark

I like it all, just not sure if Georges will be taken by LV. Just too many other capable + more cost controlled d-man for LV to take. He brings good leadership though, and maybe McPhee will value that in the exp draft.

I'm hoping Moulson gets taken, and then you can slide E-rod on Eichs line and Kane with Sam.

We'd be this years Toronto with rolling those 3 lines.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I know he literally just got hired, but has there been any reports/indication of what Bottsy is gonna do with the back end?

It's 2-3 pieces away from being very good. And IMO 2 of those pieces are Guhle and Antipin. All we really need is one dman wether its a UFA or through a trade.

How does:

Kulikov-Risto
McCabe-UFA
Antipin/Guhle-Bogo

x Antipin/Guhle

look? Especially with a new coach who can hopefully make Bogo effective. Also does Kulikov have any desire to sign here? If not then Bottsy has a lot of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad