Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It's interesting to see the timetable for Babcock making his decision.

I mean, O'Reilly is the perfect example of a hockey player Mike Babcock absolutely would make love with. And if Babcock for some reason is without a contract before the draft, I think Murray might conduct his overpayment to get a piece that Babcock loves.

I think in one of the media interviews / reports by either McKenzie or LeBrun, they made the same kind of prediction - that any of the teams wooing Babcock who are a bit further from contending right now may promise to accelerate their rebuild process by adding immediate talent if Babcock were to agree to join them, meaning they'd be even more aggressive in trades than they were originally planning to.

We know Murray will revisit O'Reilly's availability this summer but, if Babcock is on the fence about whether or not to consider Sabres, it could be the tipping point for Murray being willing to overpay to add an impact player now.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think in one of the media interviews / reports by either McKenzie or LeBrun, they made the same kind of prediction - that any of the teams wooing Babcock who are a bit further from contending right now may promise to accelerate their rebuild process by adding immediate talent if Babcock were to agree to join them, meaning they'd be even more aggressive in trades than they were originally planning to.

We know Murray will revisit O'Reilly's availability this summer but, if Babcock is on the fence about whether or not to consider Sabres, it could be the tipping point for Murray being willing to overpay to add an impact player now.

I highly doubt it. Murray has been talking about being an aggressive this offseason for a while now. Babcock or no Babcock thats what he's going to be.

It also makes no sense to give up trying to acquiring ROR if we don't get Babcock. He's a player that would be an absolute perfect fit now and going forward due to his skill set and age.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Coaching search and/or Roster building

Realistically, I don't see any more coaches/coaching spots open up other than possibly St Louis

Once Babcock makes up his mind to stay/leave detroit and the WC's are over (May 17th I believe), the coaching search should be in full swing.

My best guess is the plan is to get a coach in place before the draft and free agency.

If we are fortunate enough to get Babcock, he would very much help the recruiting effort, especially amongst players with limited/NTCs and UFAs. McClellan would help to some degree as well.

ZeroPT*

Trade Grigorenko+Isles 1st+B prospect for ROR
Trade NYI 2nd+conditional 3rd rounder for Martin Jones
Trade CoHo with salary retention+Compher+4th rounder for Gormley
sign Shawn Matthias 3 years 2.9M AAV
Sign Beauchemin 2 years 4.5M AAV
Draft Eichel

Eichel-ROR-Ennis
Kane-Zemgus-Reinhart
Moulson-Larsson-Gionta
Foligno-Matthias-Deslauriers
McCormick

Beauchemin-Bogosian
Weber-Ristolainen
Gormley-Pysyk
Gorges (swaps in and out with the bottom 2 LHD when healthy)

Jones
Johnson

I would love that team so much. Maybe the free agent figures are a bit wrong but I think those deals are fair. Beauchemin probably will stay in Anaheim or go to like San Jose. Sekera is my obvious #1 target. Idk who else we could go after. I think that team would be amazing.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I thought I read somewhere that you have to wait till July 1 for coaches entering FA as well though.

I believe you will need permission to interview them before then if their contract is expiring (like Babcock)

I also believe that detroit wouldn't get any compensation if Babcock found a job after 7/1, so, if he isn't going to come back to detroit, it would make sense for them to let him interview around.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I thought I read somewhere that you have to wait till July 1 for coaches entering FA as well though.

I believe a GMs contract runs until FA, but coaches contract expires the days the season ends. I believe Babcock is a FA as of the day they lost.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks fella's, so many rules., I can never keep up. Hard enough keeping up with my own works regulations.

We'll have to get somebody in there, unless Arturs Irbe is going to run the Dev Camp, haha. Shooting drills for everyone.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ehh...he's put those points up against Montreal (twice), Carolina, and Boston. Three pretty non-physical series and one tough one. I just don't see him being effective through a playoff grind all the way to the SCF.

You're really trying way too hard to dismiss Kessel's very good playoff production (22gms 13g 8a 21pts +11). If you don't think he can produce during a long playoff run because you feel he will wilt under the physical play, then so be it. Though I'm not really sure what you're basing that on to be honest. But what can't be disputed, is when he has been in the playoffs, he has been very good offensively.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Do you think Cody Hodgson stays or goes? Are you expecting anything of value back if he is traded?

A lot will depend on what Murray is able to do at the draft via trade. If he acquires ROR for example, I don't see Hodgson being here.

Murray wants a team that can play a heavy game, particularly in the bottom 6. He also has a couple highly touted youngsters (Eichel/Reinhart) coming into the lineup. To me that leaves no room for Hodgson in the top 9.

Kane/ROR/Eichel
Mouslon/Girgs/Ennis
Foligno/Reinhart/Gionta

There are obviously other possible combos with those 9 but those 9 would make the most sense (if ROR was acquired). I know some would argue against Foligno. But his size and toughness would trump others, particularly as a winger to ride shotgun with a youngster like Reinhart.

Take ROR or any other vet acquisition out of the mix and Hodgson has a better chance of sticking around.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You're really trying way too hard to dismiss Kessel's very good playoff production (22gms 13g 8a 21pts +11). If you don't think he can produce during a long playoff run because you feel he will wilt under the physical play, then so be it. Though I'm not really sure what you're basing that on to be honest. But what can't be disputed, is when he has been in the playoffs, he has been very good offensively.

Yeah...that's it. I'm not trying way too hard to just offer an opinion. Nobody has to like it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah...that's it. I'm not trying way too hard to just offer an opinion. Nobody has to like it.

Really? Nothing was said about you trying too hard to state an opinion. And you know that. I was quite clearly talking about your attempts to dismiss his playoff performance.

The following was your initial comment in this thread on why you didn't want Kessel. ------>

But all that regular season excitement goes out the window and doesn't matter one bit when the playoffs start. Kessel is not the type of player that will excel in the post-season.

Myself and another poster have clearly shown you were flat out wrong about him not being able to do well in the playoffs. So then you tried to dismiss his playoff performances by belittling the teams he played against. Then upping the anti to say he couldn't handle the grind of a run to the Finals. Something you have no basis for but also something that can't be refuted either. Thats why I said "so be it". As in if you want to base your argument on unprovable assertions then so be it. There would be no point in trying to refute the unprovable.

It seems like you had no idea Kessel had previously excelled in the playoffs offensively and just assumed he folded when they started. Then when proved wrong you tried to change the narrative to one thats impossible to disprove. This reminds me of your ever evolving arguments during the "could Kane score 30 goals" debate.

It just seems odd how adamant you were that he can't handle the playoffs and thats why you don't want anything to do with him. Yet you didn't seem to realize how well he has already done in the playoffs.

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Kessell looked good in that Boston series where the Leafs collapsed. I just don't like the price tag in his salary/term and what it would cost in assets to get him to go along with his stellar off-ice work ethic.

Mattykerr91

May 4, 2014
Cant see a ROR deal making any sense with him being a ufa at seasons end, Sabres could easily wait for him to hit the market, unless Murray gives hardly anything up this offseason.....but then they have to sign him also, hes prolly gonna want well over 6 million a year for at least 4-5 seasons, could muck with whatever salary structure the Sabres are gonna try to implement, ROR in 2-3 years wont be close to the Sabres top forward and maybe not even top 3-4, I pose this question who is a better player in 3 years ROR or Zemgus.......I also think that Sam Reinhart is a ROR type in the making more or less, just my thoughts:)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Cant see a ROR deal making any sense with him being a ufa at seasons end, Sabres could easily wait for him to hit the market, unless Murray gives hardly anything up this offseason.....but then they have to sign him also, hes prolly gonna want well over 6 million a year for at least 4-5 seasons, could muck with whatever salary structure the Sabres are gonna try to implement, ROR in 2-3 years wont be close to the Sabres top forward and maybe not even top 3-4, I pose this question who is a better player in 3 years ROR or Zemgus.......I also think that Sam Reinhart is a ROR type in the making more or less, just my thoughts:)
RoR is not going to hit the market. He will either re-sign with Colorado or he will be traded to a team that will sign him. I don't see 6 Million screwing up a salary structure either. If Buffalo becomes good they will be rotating contracts every few years anyways because that's what happens to good teams in a cap world.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Really? Nothing was said about you trying too hard to state an opinion. And you know that. I was quite clearly talking about your attempts to dismiss his playoff performance.

The following was your initial comment in this thread on why you didn't want Kessel. ------>

But all that regular season excitement goes out the window and doesn't matter one bit when the playoffs start. Kessel is not the type of player that will excel in the post-season.

Myself and another poster have clearly shown you were flat out wrong about him not being able to do well in the playoffs. So then you tried to dismiss his playoff performances by belittling the teams he played against. Then upping the anti to say he couldn't handle the grind of a run to the Finals. Something you have no basis for but also something that can't be refuted either. Thats why I said "so be it". As in if you want to base your argument on unprovable assertions then so be it. There would be no point in trying to refute the unprovable.

It seems like you had no idea Kessel had previously excelled in the playoffs offensively and just assumed he folded when they started. Then when proved wrong you tried to change the narrative to one thats impossible to disprove. This reminds me of your ever evolving arguments during the "could Kane score 30 goals" debate.

It just seems odd how adamant you were that he can't handle the playoffs and thats why you don't want anything to do with him. Yet you didn't seem to realize how well he has already done in the playoffs.

This isn't worth your breath or mine. I know he's produced in the playoffs in the past (against less physical teams and without a lengthy run in any one post-season). I don't think he's the type of player to be effective during a long stretch playoff against physical teams. I don't care enough about it to elaborate that much since he's not a Sabre and won't be. It's just whatever to me. Next time I'll stay quiet so as not to bother you.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Re: Kessel

No thanks. He's at the point in his career similar to Rick Nash a few years back.

Nash got away with the dough boy routine for awhile, then hit the proverbial wall.

Will Kessel get over the hump the way Nash did and write a great second act to his career? When he's already signed to a retirement contract?

7 years x 8 million left.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Re: Kessel

No thanks. He's at the point in his career similar to Rick Nash a few years back.

Nash got away with the dough boy routine for awhile, then hit the proverbial wall.

Will Kessel get over the hump the way Nash did and write a great second act to his career? When he's already signed to a retirement contract?

7 years x 8 million left.

Not really interested in having Kessel's epic laziness rub off on any of our players either...

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Trade Grigorenko+Isles 1st+B prospect for ROR
Trade NYI 2nd+conditional 3rd rounder for Martin Jones
Trade CoHo with salary retention+Compher+4th rounder for Gormley
sign Shawn Matthias 3 years 2.9M AAV
Sign Beauchemin 2 years 4.5M AAV
Draft Eichel

Eichel-ROR-Ennis
Kane-Zemgus-Reinhart
Moulson-Larsson-Gionta
Foligno-Matthias-Deslauriers
McCormick

Beauchemin-Bogosian
Weber-Ristolainen
Gormley-Pysyk
Gorges (swaps in and out with the bottom 2 LHD when healthy)

Jones
Johnson

I would love that team so much. Maybe the free agent figures are a bit wrong but I think those deals are fair. Beauchemin probably will stay in Anaheim or go to like San Jose. Sekera is my obvious #1 target. Idk who else we could go after. I think that team would be amazing.

OK, OK - form a wedge!!! We need to get Zero into Murray's office and to to Murray's phone NOW - and it's likely gonna be by force!!!

This team becomes a contender immediately - Timmy DO IT NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad