Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I was waiting for this!!! It's going to be hard to precit before UFA signings but...

Kane - McEichel - Ennis
Grigorenko - Reinhart - Molson
Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Risto - Bogo
Zads - Pysyk
Georges - Weber

Couple notes:

I really like girgensons on the 3rd center role with Foligno. Gionta works there as well. Very defensively responsible line, but any of them can pot 20 goals a year.

Lineup is so young, but doesn't look bad without even adding UFAs.

Grigs is obviously one of the question marks. Can he crack the lineup?

I'll let someone else give thoughts on 4th line combos.

I have CoHo leaving this team for good.

It's amazing that we still have guys like Baptiste, Bailey, Compher, Fasching.

I wouldn't mind trading one of the above guys, plus a pick and/or grigs to make another big move.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Apparently Shanahan is planning to have a true fire sale. I wonder what it would take to get someone like JVR?

Kane - "Vermette" - Eichel
JVR - Girgensons - Ennis
Moulson - Reinhart - Gionta

Could work...

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
So jimmy Howard won't start game 1 for the wings. They have mrazek and McCollum already. I'd be very interested to see if he could be had.

Not sure I'd be SUPER interested...he's declining and that contract is baaaad

There's a lack of options out there though.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I was waiting for this!!! It's going to be hard to precit before UFA signings but...

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Risto - Bogo
Zads - Pysyk
Georges - Weber

Couple notes:

I really like girgensons on the 3rd center role with Foligno. Gionta works there as well. Very defensively responsible line, but any of them can pot 20 goals a year.

I wouldn't mind trading one of the above guys, plus a pick and/or grigs to make another big move.

Are you Canadian by any chance? :p:

Where's Larsson? Or is he magically shipped for nothing ala Hodgson?

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Does Schaller have to go through waivers next season? Or is he still exempt?

I don't think he cracks the roster...he couldn't stick past the trade deadline...his adv stats are at the bottom of the team...lots going against him going into camp, and that's before any additions or McCormick's health status.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't think he cracks the roster...he couldn't stick past the trade deadline...his adv stats are at the bottom of the team...lots going against him going into camp, and that's before any additions or McCormick's health status.

He may not I was just wondering if he was another player who lost his waiver exemption. Having it obviously greatly increases his chances of being in the organization. Had he lost it, he was likely gone. If nothing else he is a strong asset for the Amerks.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
1) Sign Sekera to "silly contract," high dollars over short term, 25-30 over 3 years? Sold!
2) If Georges isn't going to make it back, sign or trade for a LHD stop-gap
3) If McCormick won't be returning, sign vet 4th line center
4) Re-sign Kaleta and RFAs
5) Sign two goalies

A) Reinhart, Grigorenko, Larsson, and Hodgson compete for two center spots
B) Ruh, McCabe, Weber, and Zadorov compete for LD 3rd pairing
B1) If Weber or Ruh wins, the other takes the 7th D spot
B2) If Zadorov or McCabe win, Weber takes the 7th D spot

Moulson-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart/Hodgson/Larsson/Grigorenko-Girgensons
Foligo-Reinhart/Hodgson/Larsson/Grigorenko-Gionta
Des-McCormick/Schaller/#3-Kaleta

Sekera-Bogosian
Georges/#2-Risto
B-Pysyk

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Are you Canadian by any chance? :p:

Where's Larsson? Or is he magically shipped for nothing ala Hodgson?

haha, no but I do like the beer!

Larsson could be 4th line center, plus PK duty? It's hard to fit it all in. Depending on camp, maybe he moves to wing with Girgs?

lots of questions and movement. We have so much young talent and quantity as well. If GMTM really wanted to, he could make one or two more E. Kane-esq trades, sign Sekera as mentioned above and make this team a threat fairly quickly.

But they still need time to get bigger, gain endurance of a full NHL season, gel, and form an identity.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I think a lot of people are underestimating the effect the cap staying put will have. Some good players are most likely going to be available and Murray has shown he likes to wheel and deal.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
1) Sign Sekera to "silly contract," high dollars over short term, 25-30 over 3 years? Sold!
2) If Georges isn't going to make it back, sign or trade for a LHD stop-gap
3) If McCormick won't be returning, sign vet 4th line center
4) Re-sign Kaleta and RFAs
5) Sign two goalies

A) Reinhart, Grigorenko, Larsson, and Hodgson compete for two center spots
B) Ruh, McCabe, Weber, and Zadorov compete for LD 3rd pairing
B1) If Weber or Ruh wins, the other takes the 7th D spot
B2) If Zadorov or McCabe win, Weber takes the 7th D spot

Moulson-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart/Hodgson/Larsson/Grigorenko-Girgensons
Foligo-Reinhart/Hodgson/Larsson/Grigorenko-Gionta
Des-McCormick/Schaller/#3-Kaleta

Sekera-Bogosian
Georges/#2-Risto
B-Pysyk

I like your competitive push for spots, especially center.

As a believer in Hodgson's character, and so as partial to accepting the weak elements to his game as I am accepting of the fact he'll never be an Iginla or Linden, I read your lineup competitions and had a sudden image of Kane + Hodgson + Moulson

Seriously too. If Hodgson excels at anything, it's play making, vision for the turn-over rush as much as for the o-zone set up. Good shot too, yep, soft hands, yep. But where he struggles to play a physically defensive game, he excels at being that deft play maker. Bets that Hodgson would be getting that puck to Kane's stick again and again and again, with Moulson to apply his best quality of picking up and plunking in garbage.

If one or both of Reinhart and McDavid/Eitchel are not ready to rumble as 1c and 2c, Hodgson is the proven play maker to feed Kane's stick and ride his coattails. Leaves a sweet looking 2nd line too, for a total 1/2 punch, gives time/space for the rookies to earn in and develop in more properly sheltered roles, and bonus of rolling 4 lines. No trades needed (well, except the d and goal issues, lol):

Kane - Hodgson - Moulson
Ennis - Eitchel/Reinhart - Girgensens
Foligno - Eitchel/Reinhart - Larsson/Grigorenko
Gionta - - Eitchel/Reinhart - Larsson/Grigorenko - Des

PP1: Kane-Eitchel-Ennis-Girgensens
PP2: Foligno-Reinhart-Hodgson-Larsson

PK1: Girgensens-Gionta
PK2: Foligno-Larsson

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
haha, no but I do like the beer!

Larsson could be 4th line center, plus PK duty? It's hard to fit it all in. Depending on camp, maybe he moves to wing with Girgs?

lots of questions and movement. We have so much young talent and quantity as well. If GMTM really wanted to, he could make one or two more E. Kane-esq trades, sign Sekera as mentioned above and make this team a threat fairly quickly.

But they still need time to get bigger, gain endurance of a full NHL season, gel, and form an identity.

This is dead on, and something maybe not frequently enough talked about. Add all the talent you like, but the team needs time. Next season should be way better, more inspiring anyway, than the last two. But it's hard to imagine all the youth will step into top 6 roles without development glitches and all the vets will be able to deliver consistently while pulling a room of fresh faces together as one.

I'm more excited thinking about the 2016/2017 season. But by then, of course, the lines will be way diff. Distractions ala Hodgson will be resolved one way or the other. Gap fillers ala Moulson and Gionta will likely slip down a line in depth to 2nd/3rd and 4th respectively, replaced by then sophomore youth...

2016-2017... THAT looks interesting.

ps: Scotch is better. And far more quickly effective. Just sayin ;)

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Risto - Bogo
Zads - Pysyk
Georges - Weber

Couple notes:

McEichel wont start the season as 1C, also Murray has said he wants Girgs in the top 6 so he's play wing there if not C for the time being.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
My best guess at lines for next year, not sure why everyone is leaving off CoHo after a down year and moving Girgensons to the wing over rookies.

Ennis - Girgensens - Moulson
Kane - Reinhart - Gionta
Foligno - Eichel - Grigorenko
Larsson - McCormick - Des
Kaleta

Risto - Bogo
Zads - Georges
Georges - Pysyk
Weber

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So an unlikely thought popped into my head:

What about bringing Ehrhoff back? Any chance he doesn't get extended in Pitt?

He seemed to like his time here he just didn't want to suffer through the rebuild.

Now that the tear down is complete....maybe we can bring him back for the build up?

4 year, 24 million deal-ish?

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
My best guess at lines for next year, not sure why everyone is leaving off CoHo after a down year and moving Girgensons to the wing over rookies.

Ennis - Girgensens - Moulson
Kane - Reinhart - Gionta
Foligno - Eichel - Grigorenko
Larsson - McCormick - Des
Kaleta

Risto - Bogo
Zads - Georges
Georges - Pysyk
Weber

Why did you leave Hodgson off then? Maybe for the same subconscious reason - after a year of hearing the coach's refrain of everything bad Hodgson + 4-ish months of the kid regulated to disappear among the 3rd/5th line scrubs, it's just easy to not think of him in the top 6/9 mix going forward?

For Girgensens to wing, I think it's more about putting his power to use. He's not, in my opinion anyway, a 1c/2c, cuz he's just not that play making type, nor does he have the raw talent of a Crosby or Malkin who can do it all on his own.

He does, though, have the power and the heart and the drive. Plug him down as a top 6 winger who can be relied upon to push forward as much as to be the defensively responsible guy on his line, and wow... just may be his true calling.

If at center, I envision Girgensens as a moderately okay 1c, a serviceable 2c, and a great 3c (presuming the 3rd line is more traditional premier shut down with the odd offensive contribution). If at wing though, I'm thinking great 1st liner. But that's just me.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Why did you leave Hodgson off then? Maybe for the same subconscious reason - after a year of hearing the coach's refrain of everything bad Hodgson + 4-ish months of the kid regulated to disappear among the 3rd/5th line scrubs, it's just easy to not think of him in the top 6/9 mix going forward?

For Girgensens to wing, I think it's more about putting his power to use. He's not, in my opinion anyway, a 1c/2c, cuz he's just not that play making type, nor does he have the raw talent of a Crosby or Malkin who can do it all on his own.

He does, though, have the power and the heart and the drive. Plug him down as a top 6 winger who can be relied upon to push forward as much as to be the defensively responsible guy on his line, and wow... just may be his true calling.

If at center, I envision Girgensens as a moderately okay 1c, a serviceable 2c, and a great 3c (presuming the 3rd line is more traditional premier shut down with the odd offensive contribution). If at wing though, I'm thinking great 1st liner. But that's just me.

Can't just let it go now that Nolan is fired? :deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So an unlikely thought popped into my head:

What about bringing Ehrhoff back? Any chance he doesn't get extended in Pitt?

He seemed to like his time here he just didn't want to suffer through the rebuild.

Now that the tear down is complete....maybe we can bring him back for the build up?

4 year, 24 million deal-ish?

He's been less than amazing in Pitt, I think?

But I'd be up for it. Though if we bring him in, I'd really want to add another guy on the left that can play in more of a shutdown role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad