Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Or you go the way Murray's suggested a few times: obtain a young player (22-24) with a few years of NHL experience, who hasn't had the full opportunity yet to step into a more prominent role.

Given how important goaltending is, it's hard to see Murray delegating that position to journeymen, stop-gap solutions while the rest of his young core mature and develop together. I'd bet money he'd like to find a goalie who could become a starter with time and grow with the rest of his core.

That's why the targets of Lehner, Jones, Markstrom or the like make more sense than targets like Niemi, Howard or Neuvirth IMO.

Just a FYI, he is still dealing with severe concussion issues (injured in Feb) and is struggling to return. He still can't ride a stationary bike without headaches. He was told to shut it down for now and rest.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
At this point we're saying the same things :D. If the Blues are unnerved by the age at which Backes will sign a new deal, of course he's a trade candidate. I don't see him having the trade value to be a big part of that "big overhaul" though, because of his age and contract situation.

Fair enough :)

Bps21*

I'll worry about goalie the next time the sabres actually find one that isn't perfectly fine. We are going on like 45 years.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just a FYI, he is still dealing with severe concussion issues (injured in Feb) and is struggling to return. He still can't ride a stationary bike without headaches. He was told to shut it down for now and rest.

I saw that - which would definitely bring pause for considering him. I'm curious whether TM gambles because the question of health may mean a lower asking price and less competition for Lehner's services from other teams - that kind of is what he took advantage of when he got Kane in the heat of controversy.

If he sees it as too risky, does he wait til training camp and revisit (assuming Ottawa still has the logjam) or does he go after another candidate like Jones or Markstrom? :help:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I saw that - which would definitely bring pause for considering him. I'm curious whether TM gambles because the question of health may mean a lower asking price and less competition for Lehner's services from other teams - that kind of is what he took advantage of when he got Kane in the heat of controversy.

If he sees it as too risky, does he wait til training camp and revisit (assuming Ottawa still has the logjam) or does he go after another candidate like Jones or Markstrom? :help:

I would imagine he addresses it (goalie) via trade at the draft or in free agency. As Murray put it, we will know what we have and what to expect of the team by early July (iirc he specifically said July 2nd).

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
CD39CFjW0AEPTR2.jpg

Is this a real publication?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
So, ummm, how about Dion as a top 4 LD? Hodgson + 2nd?
His term sucks, and I'm worried about his impact on a young team if the worst of the hearsay on his personality is true, but I think he's going to make a team who needs a top four defenseman very happy.

And Toronto turned down salary + Pulkkinen, I'm not sure they take salary + 31...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His term sucks, and I'm worried about his impact on a young team if the worst of the hearsay on his personality is true, but I think he's going to make a team who needs a top four defenseman very happy.

And Toronto turned down salary + Pulkkinen, I'm not sure they take salary + 31...

Agreed on the term issue. I don't think the Sabres are so desperate to get good quick that they should take on a contract like Phaneuf's, 7 a year till he is 36 sounds pretty horrific when we will need to pay guys like Risto, Zads, Pysyk and McCabe. Unless Toronto wants to retain half his salary....:naughty:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, ummm, how about Dion as a top 4 LD? Hodgson + 2nd?

Toronto is going to want a better return than that. Much better.

Phaneuf still has value league wide, despite that contract.

http://thehockeywriters.com/dion-phaneuf-the-most-unfairly-lambasted-player-in-the-nhl/

My best guess is the value the leafs will want is a 1st+ prospect + player.

Leafs will want no part of Hodgson. They are trying to rid themselves of long term contracts, not swap them.

He is probably the best LHD on the market, but is that contract worth taking on? (6 more years @ 7 M)

If the TML were willing to retain 20% I think my interest would be much higher.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Would something around Isles 1st, Grigorenko and Hodgson for Kessel be close.....is this in the ballpark? If not how much do we add or is this something that is not of interest. We minimize Kessel's contract by moving Hodgson in the deal as a tradable asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad