Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Ooof. Giving up one of those two D would sting.....but I think I do that.

Is that enough for the Avs though?

they won't get any better. No team will give them a legit top 4 D and I doubt a team can put up a better package of futures.

This is the Bobby Ryan/Jordan Staal package

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
They can't ask for one. He has a year left on his deal. Prospect+young roster player+1st.
Grigorenko+Pysyk+other 1st rounder

Still don't want to pay that for O'Reilly in addition to his next contract.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Teams that want to contend for a long time do not spend Modano assets/money for Lehtinens.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Teams that want to contend for a long time do not spend Modano assets/money for Lehtinens.

Agreed, but most here think value is immaterial if you like the player.

If we do give up a first and ristolainen, well find a way to like it within a few hours.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Why not just let him play one year against older players in Rochester with Bailey, Baptiste & co?

I'm not opposed to him doing a split season in Rochester, then/if a spot opens he can come up. He can work on strength and body growth just as well in Rochester for 40 games as he can in Buffalo.

Is my understanding correct that if Eichel signs a contract he is in limbo? Can't go back to college, and can't go the the AHL as St. John holds his rights.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I absolutely love ROR... but would want to gauge his interest before acquiring him in a trade. Granted, at this point players seem to really like everything about the Sabres (aside from on ice performance), but it's a bit of a risk for one year. Although we could throw more term at him than the field at that point...

Oh man, exciting possibility but also a little scary.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I'm not opposed to him doing a split season in Rochester, then/if a spot opens he can come up. He can work on strength and body growth just as well in Rochester for 40 games as he can in Buffalo.

Is my understanding correct that if Eichel signs a contract he is in limbo? Can't go back to college, and can't go the the AHL as St. John holds his rights.

If he signs, he can go to either the NHL or AHL. Players that sign early out of college can't go back there

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Your understanding is incorrect. Most every player has his rights held by a CHL team. Girgensons' rights were held by a CHL team. It doesn't matter. You're right that Eichel wouldn't be able to go back to college due to NCAA amateur rules, but the CHL has no standing with him.

If you aren't drafted out of the CHL, then the CHL-AHL-NHL agreement does not apply to you. You have to play in the CHL during your draft year. The agreement also applies to players from Canadian Junior A but those players are rare, rarer still that one would be AHL-ready at 19.

Players can even be drafted out of a non-CHL league, play in the CHL their post-draft season, and then play in the AHL the following season as a 19 year-old. This is what happened to Burakovsky who played in Sweden during his draft year, in Erie last year, and has played in both the NHL and AHL as a 19 y/o this season.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks guys. Do you think there would there be value in Eichel spending a (half?) season in Rochester?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I wouldn't downplay the importance of the "Lehtinens" of the league. Dallas has a stanley cup that proves how important they are.
We're drafting our "Modano" this year. I think having a "Lehtinen" to compliment him would be fantastic. Also I don't know what constitutes "spending Modano assets", but I think most people are throwing out pretty reasonable offers. I'm not going to bankrupt our future to get O'Reilly, but I'd put a very competitive offer in. I don't think having O'Reilly locked up at around 7 million a year long-term is anything that will prevent Buffalo from "contending long-term".

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The fact that Murray and Oester are good buddies and that Murray wanted him here as his assistant GM tells me he will know ROR's interest in being here and what the contract would look like before any deal is made.

I think Grigs, Pysyk, late 1st is the fairest offer they will get.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Think we could convince them to take Ennis in a ROR deal?? I'd be all about that.
i actually think he's a more realistic player to be a core piece in a deal versus a Grigo, late 1st, Pysyk/McCabe/Prospect. slotting Ennis into that top 6 as a secondary scorer wouldnt look terrible. fits into the age group to grow with, he's signed.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The fact that Murray and Oester are good buddies and that Murray wanted him here as his assistant GM tells me he will know ROR's interest in being here and what the contract would look like before any deal is made.

I think Grigs, Pysyk, late 1st is the fairest offer they will get.

With a signed deal in place (and not just a GMTM and his agent buddy verbal agreement), you have to do that trade. I'd even swap Grigs for Compher or another forward prospect (not named Reinhart) if they wanted. I would not, however, make that trade and gamble on ROR resigning. That's too much gunslinging for my taste.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
i actually think he's a more realistic player to be a core piece in a deal versus a Grigo, late 1st, Pysyk/McCabe/Prospect. slotting Ennis into that top 6 as a secondary scorer wouldnt look terrible. fits into the age group to grow with, he's signed.
Yeah well Ave fans think they could get the late 1st plus Risto or Zads plus another prospect. Oh and no one outside of Buffalo would say Pysyk or McCabe are any good since they are apparently worse that Benoit and Meszaros.

Meszaros is only 29 btw... Found this out today and my mind was blown

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
They can't ask for one. He has a year left on his deal.

Prospect+young roster player+1st.

Grigorenko+Pysyk+other 1st rounder

I feel like Grigorenko + Pysyk is a little too much. That being said, ROR would provide shelter as a top six center, and be young enough to fit long term.

Kane - ROR - McEichel
Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis
Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Ideally Ennis is a very good 2 winger who puts in 25g on some slightly easy minutes

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Grigorenko's waiver situation makes him pretty much worthless in a trade. Too much risk for a team to take on. My guess is that they'd want a signed roster player, probably Ennis or Foligno, our late 1st and maybe another prospect. Murray will overpay to mold the team the way he wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad