Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
Little question from me for you, guys.

I was never a big fan of the Kassian/Sulzer - Hodgson/Gragnani, but after the second look the deal looked solid.
Hodgson played well with vanek and tropp and Ehrhoff boosted Sulzer for a short time into a top4 two-way defensemen.
(On the other side i am a big kassian fan and he was the guy, we missed after this trade badly in our line-up. Foligno, in my opinion, never stepped up into Kassians role (despite the short second half breakout performance with Ennis and Stafford as linemates)

There was some talking lately about kassian. if he will be traded or not. THN reported lately more times about him and possible moves.

Would a return of zack kassian to Buffalo be a good idea? I for myself think so. And he would become more cheaper than in the first trade.
maybe a 2nd (2015) or a prospect like possler?
Most likely Vancouver want a solid D in return? (The mess for example:sarcasm:)

he will easily replace Steward for example for a top9 RW-Spot. Bringing grit, good passing and a nice shot back into the line-up. He played well in the last two seasons for Vancouver what i had seen despite some strechtes. But fittet well with the Sedins, which doesn't surprises me but i think he could bring his A-game in Buffalo again and reach his potential here full-time.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Little question from me for you, guys.

I was never a big fan of the Kassian/Sulzer - Hodgson/Gragnani, but after the second look the deal looked solid.
Hodgson played well with vanek and tropp and Ehrhoff boosted Sulzer for a short time into a top4 two-way defensemen.
(On the other side i am a big kassian fan and he was the guy, we missed after this trade badly in our line-up. Foligno, in my opinion, never stepped up into Kassians role (despite the short second half breakout performance with Ennis and Stafford as linemates)

There was some talking lately about kassian. if he will be traded or not. THN reported lately more times about him and possible moves.

Would a return of zack kassian to Buffalo be a good idea? I for myself think so. And he would become more cheaper than in the first trade.
maybe a 2nd (2015) or a prospect like possler?
Most likely Vancouver want a solid D in return? (The mess for example:sarcasm:)

he will easily replace Steward for example for a top9 RW-Spot. Bringing grit, good passing and a nice shot back into the line-up. He played well in the last two seasons for Vancouver what i had seen despite some strechtes. But fittet well with the Sedins, which doesn't surprises me but i think he could bring his A-game in Buffalo again and reach his potential here full-time.

Foligno is better than Kassian even tho he has less skill.

Don't see a need/fit for Kassian at this time.... I like Foligno/Des more than Kassian.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Given the dire need at center, the pending cap floor "issue", and everything else, what are the odds Mike Richards is on our roster by game 1 next year? I'd suspect its rather high at this point

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've been thinking about our post-deadline roster if we move every pending UFA

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Hodgson-Flynn
Deslaurier-McCormick-Kaleta?
???? -????? -?????

Gorges-Myers
Zads-Risto
Weber-?????

?????
?????

Good lord.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Given the dire need at center, the pending cap floor "issue", and everything else, what are the odds Mike Richards is on our roster by game 1 next year? I'd suspect its rather high at this point

that could be very interesting. I'd like to see if Richards turned it around a bit. 1-2 year deal I'd be alright with

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Hodgson-Flynn
???? -????? -?????

Gorges-Myers
Zads-Risto
Weber-?????

?????
?????

Good lord.

I think we'll likely get a cap dump UFA and maybe a young roster player that Murray coveted. Add in one or two of Grigorenko, Larsson, Armia and we're nearly finished up front.

As for defense... I find it hard to imagine many teams being interested in Mez, Benoit or Strachan but maybe we'll get some late round picks out of it. Again, a few bubble players like Pysyk and Ruhwedel will get a shot. Maybe McCabe too for a couple games.

We'll likely keep one of Neuvirth/Enroth (I like Enroth better) but in the strange case that we ship both out, I'm sure Murray will get a goalie back. (Whether he's a UFA band-aid type or a legit building block is another question)

I see Hackett or Makarov (most likely Hackett to audition for his next contract) getting the call up for the rest of the year.

Overall, I trust in Murray to fill the roster holes he creates without making problems for the tank

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Foligno-Hodgson-Flynn
???? -????? -?????

Gorges-Myers
Zads-Risto
Weber-?????

?????
?????

Good lord.

We aren't moving them all......

Likely have one of Benoit, Strachan, and Meszaros. Could call up Pysyk.
Likely have one of Enroth/Neuvirth signed. Call up Hackett
Gionta is still under contract for 2 more years

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Unless they get Toffoli or Pearson also in the trade the odds are 0.0001%

I wouldn't have an issue if he just had 3 yrs left. But year 4 and 5 will hurt buffaloven in a buy out.

If they follow Chicago and LA they should be cup contenders by year 4 and 5 thus need the cap space to add players.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Unless they get Toffoli or Pearson also in the trade the odds are 0.0001%

I wouldn't have an issue if he just had 3 yrs left. But year 4 and 5 will hurt buffaloven in a buy out.

If they follow Chicago and LA they should be cup contenders by year 4 and 5 thus need the cap space to add players.

The buyout is actually pretty reasonably after 2018 (I believe it was under 2 million a year since the contract was backloaded)

My proposal for him was:

Richards, Jones, 1st

Hodgson, Enroth (Salary retained) and a 2nd.

We get a goalie for next year, a 4th 1st rounder (maybe even a lotto pick if LA misses the playoffs) and a reclamation project. If he's truly done we can send him to the minors for a year or two and buy him out when we need the space.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The buyout is actually pretty reasonably after 2018 (I believe it was under 2 million a year since the contract was backloaded)

My proposal for him was:

Richards, Jones, 1st

Hodgson, Enroth (Salary retained) and a 2nd.

We get a goalie for next year, a 4th 1st rounder (maybe even a lotto pick if LA misses the playoffs) and a reclamation project. If he's truly done we can send him to the minors for a year or two and buy him out when we need the space.

I doubt they have any interest in a player like Hodgson style wise, and by adding him you basically took away most of the cap savings. Why would they want that? I'd rather spend useful assets for a better player that doesn't have an anchor for a contract.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I doubt they have any interest in a player like Hodgson style wise, and by adding him you basically took away most of the cap savings. Why would they want that? I'd rather spend useful assets for a better player that doesn't have an anchor for a contract.

The buyout on Hodgson is much much cheaper than the buyout on Richards since he's under 26. Basically they get a free look at him in season, if they want to keep him they can, if not they can kick him to the curb.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The buyout on Hodgson is much much cheaper than the buyout on Richards since he's under 26. Basically they get a free look at him in season, if they want to keep him they can, if not they can kick him to the curb.

I guess. So call that even as a change of scenery, tho I just can't imagine LA wanting prime Hodgson. But then look at the rest of that.

Jones, 1st, which would not be in the playoffs right now
for
Enroth ufa, and our 2nd

Would you do that if you were them?

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I guess. So call that even as a change of scenery, tho I just can't imagine LA wanting prime Hodgson. But then look at the rest of that.

Jones, 1st, which would not be in the playoffs right now
for
Enroth ufa, and our 2nd

Would you do that if you were them?

Of course not. But we're taking on a horrendous contract and giving them a get out of jail free card with Hodgson (since his buyout is WAY easier to swallow). Hell, he might even get claimed on waivers. That's where the value is to LA.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
My 2 cents.. I don't think Martin Jones is a starting goalie and I see him turn out as a Bernier type.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Are we talking about a Mike Richards buy-out here? Richards's contract isn't backloaded, it's midloaded (that is, the highest salary years are in the middle of the contract) with salary the last couple of years that is well below the cap hit. Buying out Richards at any point in his contract would carry a relatively large cap charge for at least a year or two. Even buying him out with one season remaining would entail one year of $3.75M in dead cap space.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Bernier is a starting goalie..
Yes but he's not a starting goalie you feel comfortable taking into the playoffs, Scrivens is a starting goalie too, just because they are starting goalies on weak teams for goaltending doesn't make them true starting goalies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
But Bernier is a legit starting goalie in the NHL..............

Not too many goalies would put up better numbers in the Leafs "system"
Like I said above, just because Maple leafs have no real starting goalie, the next best option is cast into that spot. He's not a legit starting goalie. He can barey hold his spot down against Reimer.

ZeroPT*

Yes but he's not a starting goalie you feel comfortable taking into the playoffs, Scrivens is a starting goalie too, just because they are starting goalies on weak teams for goaltending doesn't make them true starting goalies.

oh boy. Comparing "sub .900 sv%" Scrivens with Bernier is like comparing Lundqvist and Enroth.

Bernier is a starting goalie. The fact that he's on Toronto further proves that he's a starting goalie. Not many can put up .915 sv% on a team that gets outshot every game and has legendarily bad defensive players. If we're questioning anything about Bernier it's wether or not he's a top 10 goalie

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 8m8 minutes ago

2) Don't be surprised if some teams who are out of the playoff race/don't need Kane now (but are interested in his services) see if they...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6m6 minutes ago

3) can get something done before teams who are in it to win it can afford to make a trade. Could see the likes of BUF, PHI maybe OTT trying.
0 replies 22 retweets 11 favorites

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'd be fine with Bernier as my starting goalie on a playoff team.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014

Buffalo has no need for a slow, broken 30 year old bottom six center
who is no longer trusted to kill penalties. The last few years of his contract are horrendous.
If Buffalo trades for him, Murray better hope he retires after 3 seasons.

So over the past three years, even strength Mike Richards has been at best a bit of a liability, at worst a complete disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille