Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Im new to this forum and just trying to figure things out. I've been pondering the idea of trading the 1st overall pick (assuming we get it) for a while now and that the top 5 drafting order stays the way it is now. What do you think of this

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone
C- Cody Hodgson (if they wanted to take a chance on him, or use to get to the cap floor, otherwise we buy him out)

To Buffalo

4th overall 2015 pick (we draft LW- Lawson Crouse since we lack quality LW propects)
C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Buffalo does this because we need a top LW prospect and have quality centre prospects already without McEichel. And we get young, proven NHL players that can help us take the next step.
Arizona does this because of the opportunity to draft McEichel. Being a small market team, this would produce spotlight and think of the merchandise sales. They also get a quality NHL ready prospect in Varone to replace Hanzel and Cody if they want him.

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia
Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Flynn

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

Ummmmmmmm no. In no way shape or form is there a reasonable deal out there for us to deal out of McEichel.

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014
Moulson Eichel. Kane. Ennis. Reinhart. Jagr. Lemieaux. Girgensons. Armia. Grigorenko. Ryder. Tlustny. Cole. L4: Deslauriers. Mitchell. Gionta. Reserves: McCormick, foligno

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Im new to this forum and just trying to figure things out. I've been pondering the idea of trading the 1st overall pick (assuming we get it) for a while now and that the top 5 drafting order stays the way it is now. What do you think of this

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone
C- Cody Hodgson (if they wanted to take a chance on him, or use to get to the cap floor, otherwise we buy him out)

To Buffalo

4th overall 2015 pick (we draft LW- Lawson Crouse since we lack quality LW propects)
C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Buffalo does this because we need a top LW prospect and have quality centre prospects already without McEichel. And we get young, proven NHL players that can help us take the next step.
Arizona does this because of the opportunity to draft McEichel. Being a small market team, this would produce spotlight and think of the merchandise sales. They also get a quality NHL ready prospect in Varone to replace Hanzel and Cody if they want him.

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

Since you are new, I sincerely hope that people go easy on you. Please be made aware that Eichel and especially McDavid are regarded as franchise-altering prospects - two of the best to come out in past several years. Pre-existing prospect depth per position is irrelevant in the context of the opportunity to acquire one of those two players.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone

To Buffalo

C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker
I can understand salary dumping Hodgson on them, but I don't understand why we have to give up Varone.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone

To Buffalo

C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA
To move down from 1 to 4 I would want:

-The Coyotes entire draft
-Their next 10 1st round draft picks
-OEL
-Anyone else worth it, I don't know their roster well enough

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Depending on the asking price for Gelinas, I'd be interested. Kreider won't be let go by the Rangers. They'll move other guys before they let him go.

Any other young offensive defenseman around the league that could be available? I really want a young PMD brought into the organization by draft or trade this offseason.

Gormley comes to mind. But Arizona's probably less inclined to move him than Jersey would be to move Gelinas. And he'd cost more.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@georgegolfer11 Welcome!!!

Ignoring the talent dropoff after McDavid and Eichel, (or after McDavid alone, depending on your view)...

I know the Sabres need a LW or two, both "now" and for the "future".

However, I'd rather have a top-9 forward corps with 4 (or more) NHL-caliber centers and only 5 (or fewer) true wings. Makes it a lot easier having that kind of depth to build full lines and special teams units when injuries hit, etc.

Centers:
1. McDavid / Eichel
2. Reinhart
3. Girgensons
4. Grigorenko
5. Want at least 1 more (Hanzal, Vermette, other FA, etc.), plus a 4th line center

Lastly, Hodgson has been playing more LW than C this season, I think. So I don't know how PHX would view him.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Remember the last time we were good? How many centers were on the team?

Drury, Briere, Connolly, Roy, Gaustad, Mair, Hecht could play center, Zubrus (acquired at deadline) could play center, heck even Kotalik could play center in a pinch.

Having "too many" centers doesn't worry me one bit.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
@georgegolfer11 Welcome to HF!

A couple people have listed the main reason(s) why that trade isn't a real possibility. However, a more interesting situation might happen if we end up picking third. Do we pick Hanifin (and move another young D-man like Myers) or do we trade down a spot for Marner (if a 4th pick team needs defense) or do we trade the 3rd pick for an established promising young NHLer?

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

A couple people have listed the main reason(s) why that trade isn't a real possibility. However, a more interesting situation might happen if we end up picking third. Do we pick Hanifin (and move another young D-man like Myers) or do we trade down a spot for Marner (if a 4th pick team needs defense) or do we trade the 3rd pick for an established promising young NHLer?

There's not a lot of value in trading down just one spot. trade down to TB, they get to draft Hanifin, we get both their 1sts. Probably be able to get Svechnikov and Konecny around 15 & 20, use the other 2 1sts to grab Bracco/Sprong & Zboril. Much better than trading down one spot for pretty much nothing just because some don't think we need to draft another dman

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Assuming Myers isnt traded, if he is traded another Dman comes back like Fowler, I could see Buffalo at 3 shopping the pick to the highest bidder in the top 10 and see what comes.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone

To Buffalo

C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

thats an impact first post, like a truck coming through your bedroom wall in the middle of the night impact :amazed:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There's not a lot of value in trading down just one spot. trade down to TB, they get to draft Hanifin, we get both their 1sts. Probably be able to get Svechnikov and Konecny around 15 & 20, use the other 2 1sts to grab Bracco/Sprong & Zboril. Much better than trading down one spot for pretty much nothing just because some don't think we need to draft another dman

Both TB firsts won't get them 3rd overall.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
However, a more interesting situation might happen if we end up picking third.

Yes, it sure will be interesting around here if we end up picking third!

Do we pick Hanifin (and move another young D-man like Myers) or do we trade down a spot for Marner (if a 4th pick team needs defense) or do we trade the 3rd pick for an established promising young NHLer?

I think TM would trade the Hanifin pick for a lower pick to select a forward. He mentioned that he was prepared to trade the 2nd overall last year if Florida didn't take Ekblad.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I think TM would trade the Hanifin pick for a lower pick to select a forward. He mentioned that he was prepared to trade the 2nd overall last year if Florida didn't take Ekblad.

imagine the vitriol if Murray had traded down and Ekblad won the Calder

ZeroPT*

We have Reinhart now though. We didn't at last years draft.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we are moving from 4 to 1 not only out of the two hof prospects but a Norris caliber dman in Hanifin. If they wanted it they would have to pay dearly. Not accepting less then

#4, OEL, Domi, Hanzal, 2016 1st and Yandle. I don't care if it's so one sided that Is the cost.

Bps21*

It shouldn't matter what Murray would do about drafting 3 since, as the GM who watched his team blow last place in this draft year down the stretch, he should have been fired months before we get there.

ZeroPT*

It shouldn't matter what Murray would do about drafting 3 since, as the GM who watched his team blow last place in this draft year down the stretch, he should have been fired months before we get there.
Absolutely ridiculous

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad