Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo has no need for a slow, broken 30 year old bottom six center
who is no longer trusted to kill penalties. The last few years of his contract are horrendous.
If Buffalo trades for him, Murray better hope he retires after 3 seasons.

So over the past three years, even strength Mike Richards has been at best a bit of a liability, at worst a complete disaster

That also doesn't take into effect his poor physical shape, something that is fixable. He's a guy in need to a chance of scenery in a bad way. No, he's not going to be a shutdown, elite defensive center, but, he's certainly a better open than Torrey Mitchell.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That also doesn't take into effect his poor physical shape, something that is fixable. He's a guy in need to a chance of scenery in a bad way. No, he's not going to be a shutdown, elite defensive center, but, he's certainly a better open than Torrey Mitchell.

I was under the impression everyone was raving about how he came into camp in great shape this year, and then still sucked. If Torrey Mitchell is our third or fourth center next year, with an ROR or Vermette type ahead of him, that is a better option than Mike Richards, definitely defensively.

Tho it would be funny if Richards came back to the East and came back to life. It would either be endless stories about the East sucking or Richards sucking down steroids like candy.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
That also doesn't take into effect his poor physical shape, something that is fixable. He's a guy in need to a chance of scenery in a bad way.

I was under the impression everyone was raving about how he came into camp in great shape this year, and then still sucked. If Torrey Mitchell is our third or fourth center next year, with an ROR or Vermette type ahead of him, that is a better option than Mike Richards, definitely defensively.

Lombardi, like TehDoak, thought Richards could still be a useful player if he was in better shape because of his competitive nature and even checked in on him last summer.
Richards is on record from September stating he hired trainers and pushed himself hard all summer.
Whatever the case may be, his role and ice time decreased each month this year before he was waived.

A statistical analysis also doesn't cover aspects of Mike Richards that are not fixable - age, wear, concussion history -
or any non-hockey related concerns. I see limited upside offset by the huge downsides of his declining play, caphit and especially term.

You can't judge a player's value solely by ability in a cap world and and teams can not add a guy with five years left on his deal to fill a two year role.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
From the NHL.com game recap after the DAL @BUF 2/7/15:

Stewart has 17 points in the past 22 games and has 17 career points against the Stars.

"He's playing the way he's capable of playing," Sabres coach Ted Nolan said. "He's a big, powerful forward. He can skate, he can shoot, he's hitting, he's probably one of the toughest guys in the League. That type of ability is certainly coming out and he's showing why he's one of the most sought after big guys in the game."

Is this Ted Nolan helping Tim Murray sell Chris Stewart to the rest of the league, or Ted trying to convince Tim to keep Stewart at the deadline and resign him? :laugh:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
From the NHL.com game recap after the DAL @BUF 2/7/15:

Is this Ted Nolan helping Tim Murray sell Chris Stewart to the rest of the league, or Ted trying to convince Tim to keep Stewart at the deadline and resign him? :laugh:

This is the same Ted Nolan who called Stewart a soft player earlier in the year, no?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Two needs I see for this team is scoring wingers (pretty obvious), but also top 4 lefthanded PMD with offensive upside to ideally be partnered with Myers. Now Sekera would be the ideal choice here, but we also have the pieces to make a deal. So how about Gelinas from Jersey and Connolly from Tampa as the scoring winger. Both seem available and shouldn't bust the bank.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
You sure about that? Tampa fans seem pretty confident they can still get something good for him. And what package could we put together for Gelinas? I always thought Hodgson to Jersey made sense, but not with this season and with this contract, obviously. I might be inclined to consider Grigorenko for Gelinas.

ZeroPT*

You sure about that? Tampa fans seem pretty confident they can still get something good for him. And what package could we put together for Gelinas? I always thought Hodgson to Jersey made sense, but not with this season and with this contract, obviously. I might be inclined to consider Grigorenko for Gelinas.

Connolly isn't very good. He's way too timid and inconsistent. Gelinas for Grigorenko is also a really bad move.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Connolly isn't very good. He's way too timid and inconsistent. Gelinas for Grigorenko is also a really bad move.

Yeah, Grigs is overpayment. I just thought they need a forward, so who could be sent from our part. Maybe our Larsson could be an option. Btw. what's with Clowe's contract? Could taking that one back give us some leverage?

As for Connolly, he's being used in a bottom 6 role right know, which doesn't really fit his primary skillset. Change of scenery + Top 6 linemates could do the trick.

ZeroPT*

Yeah, Grigs is overpayment. I just thought they need a forward, so who could be sent from our part. Maybe our Larsson could be an option. Btw. what's with Clowe's contract? Could taking that one back give us some leverage?

As for Connolly, he's being used in a bottom 6 role right know, which doesn't really fit his primary skillset. Change of scenery + Top 6 linemates could do the trick.
Ryane Clowe will be on LTIR. He's done. It's not really an asset to take him back. I'd bet that Larsson+NYI 2nd+ Karabacek or Cornel would work. They have an excess of D-men with Severson,Larsson,Merril and eventually Santini+Helgeson who are all young D that project to be just as good or better. Plus there's of course Greene who is a #1.

I could see them maybe wanting Hodgson.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Ryane Clowe will be on LTIR. He's done. It's not really an asset to take him back. I'd bet that Larsson+NYI 2nd+ Karabacek or Cornel would work. They have an excess of D-men with Severson,Larsson,Merril and eventually Santini+Helgeson who are all young D that project to be just as good or better. Plus there's of course Greene who is a #1.

I could see them maybe wanting Hodgson.

It's probably even J. Larsson + 2nd OR Karabacek/Cornel for Gelinas that would get it done. I lurked a little on their board and apparently they don't think he has all too much value, someone talked about question marks. Still, an offensive dman with his size and production and top 4 upside, I do that trade anytime.

Hodgson, not sure what we could get for him right now, if anything.

Another idea: That thing with Toffoli people talked about a few days back, we could pull a similar thing with Kreider from the Rangers. Apparently they are in cap trouble and have to resign Stepan among others. So dangling one of our late 1st + a little something for Kreider could make sense for them. Idea from one poster on the Jersey board, I should add.

ZeroPT*

It's probably even J. Larsson + 2nd OR Karabacek/Cornel for Gelinas that would get it done. I lurked a little on their board and apparently they don't think he has all too much value, someone talked about question marks. Still, an offensive dman with his size and production and top 4 upside, I do that trade anytime.

Hodgson, not sure what we could get for him right now, if anything.

Another idea: That thing with Toffoli people talked about a few days back, we could pull a similar thing with Kreider from the Rangers. Apparently they are in cap trouble and have to resign Stepan among others. So dangling one of our late 1st + a little something for Kreider could make sense for them. Idea from one poster on the Jersey board, I should add.

I've watched some Gelinas and he's inconsistent as hell. On the PP he's a stud. He's in his element, lugging the puck up the ice with his bomb of a shot. 5v5? he needs sheltering. He makes pre-Nolan Myers mistakes defensively. It can be ugly.

As for Kreider, they wojn't move him. I'd rather go for a Talbot+Hagelin combo. On another note, we should raid the KHL.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Depending on the asking price for Gelinas, I'd be interested. Kreider won't be let go by the Rangers. They'll move other guys before they let him go.

Any other young offensive defenseman around the league that could be available? I really want a young PMD brought into the organization by draft or trade this offseason.

georgegolfer11

Feb 10, 2015
Im new to this forum and just trying to figure things out. I've been pondering the idea of trading the 1st overall pick (assuming we get it) for a while now and that the top 5 drafting order stays the way it is now. What do you think of this

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone
C- Cody Hodgson (if they wanted to take a chance on him, or use to get to the cap floor, otherwise we buy him out)

To Buffalo

4th overall 2015 pick (we draft LW- Lawson Crouse since we lack quality LW propects)
C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Buffalo does this because we need a top LW prospect and have quality centre prospects already without McEichel. And we get young, proven NHL players that can help us take the next step.
Arizona does this because of the opportunity to draft McEichel. Being a small market team, this would produce spotlight and think of the merchandise sales. They also get a quality NHL ready prospect in Varone to replace Hanzel and Cody if they want him.

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia
Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta
Deslauriers-McCormick-Flynn

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Im new to this forum and just trying to figure things out. I've been pondering the idea of trading the 1st overall pick (assuming we get it) for a while now and that the top 5 drafting order stays the way it is now. What do you think of this

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone
C- Cody Hodgson (if they wanted to take a chance on him, or use to get to the cap floor, otherwise we buy him out)

To Buffalo

4th overall 2015 pick (we draft LW- Lawson Crouse since we lack quality LW propects)
C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Buffalo does this because we need a top LW prospect and have quality centre prospects already without McEichel. And we get young, proven NHL players that can help us take the next step.
Arizona does this because of the opportunity to draft McEichel. Being a small market team, this would produce spotlight and think of the merchandise sales. They also get a quality NHL ready prospect in Varone to replace Hanzel and Cody if they want him.

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

god no.

google: connor mcdavid
google: jack eichel

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago

To Arizona:

1st overall 2015 pick
C-Phil Varone

To Buffalo

C- Martin Hanzel
LW- Mikkel Boedker

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Boedker-Hanzel-Armia

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber

TBA
TBA

McDavid and Eichel > any player the COyotes have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad