Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Take away Getzlaf from Anaheim and they're nowhere near as good as they are. Take away Perry? They'd likely be fine. Obviously not as good but still a good playoff side.

I'll take centers over wingers. And Wingers are easier to get.

That's an unfair comparison, though. Try the same with Ovechkin/Backstrom from the Caps, it's the opposite

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That's an unfair comparison, though. Try the same with Ovechkin/Backstrom from the Caps, it's the opposite

Why is the first comparison unfair? Most would agree on pure talent Getzlaf and Perry are pretty close in pure talent. On the other hand your comparison is a much more extreme version of talent differences.

How bout this, how many centers would you take before the best winger in the game? Call it Ovechkin, Perry, Nash, Hall, whoever.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Neither guy was the driving force of their team. They both scored flashy goals, which is why the media gave them the award. I mean your infatuation with what the media says is so weird. If we make the playoffs do you realize that Adrian Dater or Steve Simmons could decide who is the conn smythe winner, say Baptiste hitting a hot streak and scoring 15 goals over Reinhart controlling games? Those guys are idiots and they get to vote on said award.

Yet, they put their names behind what they say. You go on the other hand, post behind an alias and call them idiots. You have far, far less credibility than they do. And you do realize the NHL is an entertainment business, right? Calling things flashy as a derogatory statement is amusing. You love to say it.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Why is the first comparison unfair? Most would agree on pure talent Getzlaf and Perry are pretty close in pure talent. On the other hand your comparison is a much more extreme version of talent differences.

How bout this, how many centers would you take before the best winger in the game? Call it Ovechkin, Perry, Nash, Hall, whoever.

I wouldn't agree that at G-P evaluation at all, frankly. I picked O-B because I thought it was a similar disparity.

This year? Voracek before everyone~. In seriousness, it's tough to answer that question because my metrics will be different than yours

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yet, they put their names behind what they say. You go on the other hand, post behind an alias and call them idiots. You have far, far less credibility than they do. And you do realize the NHL is an entertainment business, right? Calling things flashy as a derogatory statement is amusing. You love to say it.

When defending terrible sports writers goes wrong. If the NHL is all about entertainment, why does the boring grinding smart team play thing seem to win so much?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
When defending terrible sports writers goes wrong. If the NHL is all about entertainment, why does the boring grinding smart team play thing seem to win so much?

The NHL mismanages its own product and it's content with being the little brother league tbh

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't agree that at G-P evaluation at all, frankly. I picked O-B because I thought it was a similar disparity.

This year? Voracek before everyone~. In seriousness, it's tough to answer that question because my metrics will be different than yours

I don't understand. Do you think there is a similar gap in talent between the two pairs or that the initial assessment that Anaheim would be worse without Getzlaf than without Perry was wrong.

And ya if you would rather have Voracek than any center in the league we have different metrics.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The NHL mismanages its own product and it's content with being the little brother league tbh

Selling its product and entertaining people is one thing, I'm referring to what actually wins hockey games. Unless your suggesting the NHL should over-haul its rules and officiating standards to make the game drastically different in how its played.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't understand. Do you think there is a similar gap in talent between the two pairs or that the initial assessment that Anaheim would be worse without Getzlaf than without Perry was wrong.

And ya if you would rather have Voracek than any center in the league we have different metrics.

Getzlaf>Perry in a similar fashion to Ovechkin>Backstrom imo

voracek was a joke. but I'm not sure what standard you want me to apply in that top players comparison. Talent? Production? Actual on-ice contribution?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Selling its product and entertaining people is one thing, I'm referring to what actually wins hockey games. Unless your suggesting the NHL should over-haul its rules and officiating standards to make the game drastically different in how its played.

they should call it like it's on the book, rather~

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Getzlaf>Perry in a similar fashion to Ovechkin>Backstrom imo

voracek was a joke. but I'm not sure what standard you want me to apply in that top players comparison. Talent? Production? Actual on-ice contribution?

I'm not sure that there is much evidence that Backstrom has put together anything close to the career that Perry has.

The standard I would use would be is who wins you games, who consistently causes more goals to be scored for than against, more possession time, more control of games. They all come down to having a complete game that strongly affects offense, defense and transition.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Backstrom's had a pretty strong start to his career, but he's no Ovechkin. I think he's a better overall player than Perry tbh, but so is OV to Getz

Well you're saying wins games, but in a vacuum or in actuality? In a vacuum crosby would always be #1 based on skill but in practical application his missed time makes other players have a greater impact in quantifiable contribution

like this year I'd argue Tyler Seguin could very well be called the best skater in the league, but I'm not sure I'd take him before XYZ

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Backstrom's had a pretty strong start to his career, but he's no Ovechkin. I think he's a better overall player than Perry tbh, but so is OV to Getz

Well you're saying wins games, but in a vacuum or in actuality? In a vacuum crosby would always be #1 based on skill but in practical application his missed time makes other players have a greater impact in quantifiable contribution

like this year I'd argue Tyler Seguin could very well be called the best skater in the league, but I'm not sure I'd take him before XYZ

I wouldn't worry about who has injuries or not, it could happen to anybody. I am very curious as to what Backstrom has done as a player makes you think he is better than Perry? Care to explain that a little more.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm sure you don't remember it, that's why the actual evidence is useful.

Dismissing the importance of nearly a third of a given game out of hand because it occurs with uneven teams is absurd

Nearly a 3rd? In the post season? Lol

The evidence shows kovy was a net negative.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Nearly a 3rd? In the post season? Lol

The evidence shows kovy was a net negative.

I was speaking on average, where average penalty time exceeds 20m in recent years.

It's a net negative to you.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I wouldn't worry about who has injuries or not, it could happen to anybody. I am very curious as to what Backstrom has done as a player makes you think he is better than Perry? Care to explain that a little more.

Despite being two years younger, Backstrom has four top-ten adjusted points finishes to perry's two. I feel like Perry, and all high end goal scorers, get underrated relative to elite playmakers, but Backstrom has five top-five assist seasons relative to Perry's two top-five goal scoring seasons. Further, Backstrom has a very underrated defensive game, not quite in the selke conversation but perhaps deserving to be. It's undeniable that each player gains from playing with a superior teammate, but I feel Backstrom has shown more in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad