Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Continuing the Mike Richards discussion...

I can't see any positives in acquiring Richards at any price. He's not worth his contract now and whomever picks him up is saddled with a $5.75m cap hit until 2020. If he was on a one or two year deal, it would be a different story...I wouldn't mind adding him to the leadership group under those circumstances while the younger kids are coming along. Having him wearing an A for a couple years with Gionta and Gorges and some of the other older guys on the team would be a great thing for a couple years.

By the time they're ready to take over in like 2016-2017 though, I don't want his cap hit stuck on our books for a further three years...that will be the point where that money would be much better spent on locking up Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Armia, Risto, Zadorov, McEichel...etc for the long term.

It's not that I wouldn't want him at all, it's that I don't want him until 2020 and he'll only become much more difficult to move in the coming years.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Continuing the Mike Richards discussion...

I can't see any positives in acquiring Richards at any price. He's not worth his contract now and whomever picks him up is saddled with a $5.75m cap hit until 2020. If he was on a one or two year deal, it would be a different story...I wouldn't mind adding him to the leadership group under those circumstances while the younger kids are coming along. Having him wearing an A for a couple years with Gionta and Gorges and some of the other older guys on the team would be a great thing for a couple years.

By the time they're ready to take over in like 2016-2017 though, I don't want his cap hit stuck on our books for a further three years...that will be the point where that money would be much better spent on locking up Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Armia, Risto, Zadorov, McEichel...etc for the long term.

It's not that I wouldn't want him at all, it's that I don't want him until 2020 and he'll only become much more difficult to move in the coming years.

A Richards buyout in 2018 is pretty reasonable

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=741&buyout_y=2018&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Given our immediate needs, I think Richards would be able to provide some leadership and insight to our young guys about what it takes to succeed in the NHL. I think he's stuck in a meh situation in LA where he can't supplant Carter/Kopitar on the top 2 lines and he can't be a better defensive center than Stoll. There's still alot of tread left on the tire there, I think he just needs a new situation.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Buying out Richards isn't awful, but you're still basically paying him Joel Armia's next contract to go play somewhere else or go home in 2018-2020. I guess if he helps gets max production out of Reinhart and/or Grigorenko then it's a worthy cause, but I would see Richards more as a mentor for Girgensons who sure seems to be coming along fine without him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buying out Richards isn't awful, but you're still basically paying him Joel Armia's next contract to go play somewhere else or go home in 2018-2020. I guess if he helps gets max production out of Reinhart and/or Grigorenko then it's a worthy cause, but I would see Richards more as a mentor for Girgensons who sure seems to be coming along fine without him.

I'm assuming we're not going to have many cap issues until the potential 2015-2016 class hits RFA status (Reinhart, potential top pick in 2015) and we made a big UFA splash or two.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Is it possible Richards could cause issues in our locker room? Just curious to see what people's opinion on that are, because like another Center we had for years (who actually was a teammate of MR in Junior), Mike likes to party. A lot.

I like the thought of him sheltering the kids, but I'd be a little hesitant to bring him in to a situation where a lot of young guys are still maturing and learning to be professionals.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't acquire anyone with the expectation of buying them out.

No thanks to Mr Richards. And if he has a NMC he ain't waiving for Buffalo.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Mark Arcobello could be a good placeholder AHL/NHL tweener going forward. He is very small but plays a good 2 way game, decent on face offs and he has a good work ethic. Undrafted, 5'8 and worked his way to the NHL. Isn't afraid to go into corners or take a hit, just seems like one of those inspirational, determined players that would fit in.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Mark Arcobello could be a good placeholder AHL/NHL tweener going forward. He is very small but plays a good 2 way game, decent on face offs and he has a good work ethic. Undrafted, 5'8 and worked his way to the NHL. Isn't afraid to go into corners or take a hit, just seems like one of those inspirational, determined players that would fit in.

We already have an Arcobello, we just call him Brian Flynn.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Is it possible Richards could cause issues in our locker room? Just curious to see what people's opinion on that are, because like another Center we had for years (who actually was a teammate of MR in Junior), Mike likes to party. A lot.

I like the thought of him sheltering the kids, but I'd be a little hesitant to bring him in to a situation where a lot of young guys are still maturing and learning to be professionals.

Meh. Doesn't seem to be hindering the development of Toffoli, Pearson, et al. in LA.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Conacher has been waived by the Islanders

P436ADe.gif

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Meh. Doesn't seem to be hindering the development of Toffoli, Pearson, et al. in LA.

I wasn't asking if it would hinder their development- if anything, I think it hastens their development.

What concerns me with Richards is the type of lifestyle and attitude that comes with him. I'm not sure if that's the type of dynamic we want to bring into the locker room, especially if rumors of Zadorov's off-ice stuff is substance-related.

We ran Roy out of town partially because of the same baggage that Richards (reportedly) brings, so that's why I wanted to get some other posters' opinions on it.

Do we have a strong enough leadership core in place that this wouldn't be an issue? Have guys like Zadorov matured to the point where they are no longer impressionable to poor off-ice habits?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Once again, no on Richards until the offseason, and at that point there are probably several less attractive but much less costly options that will hit the market.

For real, if dude has years left as a 40 point defensive center - the only way we're trading for him - why the **** do we want to roll Girgensons-Richards-Mitchell down the middle this year of all years?

Bps21*

He wouldn't waive to come here anyway.

Although the bars are open until 4...

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Once again, no on Richards until the offseason, and at that point there are probably several less attractive but much less costly options that will hit the market.

For real, if dude has years left as a 40 point defensive center - the only way we're trading for him - why the **** do we want to roll Girgensons-Richards-Mitchell down the middle this year of all years?

Deep breaths... Deep breaths...I thought it went without saying that we wouldn't make a Richards-type acquisition until the offseason. I guess I shouldn't have assumed :laugh:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Not that it says much with this team, but Nick Deslaurier is the Sabres' 6th leading scorer.

This is his 2nd year at wing, and most games he's been a very effective forechecker, PK & energy guy. Most see his ceiling on the 4th line. Is there anything more there that is being masked by his late position switch, I wonder?

I know it's just the eye-test but to me he seems a bit like a Trevor Lewis type, a 3rd/4th line tweener (on a good team - on the 14-15 Sabres he can slot anywhere from line 2-4 really).

ZeroPT*

Not that it says much with this team, but Nick Deslaurier is the Sabres' 6th leading scorer.

This is his 2nd year at wing, and most games he's been a very effective forechecker, PK & energy guy. Most see his ceiling on the 4th line. Is there anything more there that is being masked by his late position switch, I wonder?

I know it's just the eye-test but to me he seems a bit like a Trevor Lewis type, a 3rd/4th line tweener (on a good team - on the 14-15 Sabres he can slot anywhere from line 2-4 really).

He's brent Burns lite IMO. Very very lite. Can slot anywhere in the bottom 6, can play D, is big and robust but he has skill. I've always liked him alot. Really happy with him this year.

He's surpassed Foligno IMO.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Nah, we have a couple "Conacher types" already here.

Can you truly ever have too many "Conacher types" if the goal is tanking? You give me 12 Cory Conachers and I will give you Connor McDavid well before April.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A Richards buyout in 2018 is pretty reasonable

http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=741&buyout_y=2018&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Given our immediate needs, I think Richards would be able to provide some leadership and insight to our young guys about what it takes to succeed in the NHL. I think he's stuck in a meh situation in LA where he can't supplant Carter/Kopitar on the top 2 lines and he can't be a better defensive center than Stoll. There's still alot of tread left on the tire there, I think he just needs a new situation.

Don't want him

That buyout is not reasonable. Why did they buy out Ehrhoff? Because they didn't want dead space on the cap in 18/19 and beyond.

Why...if they get McEichel...he gets a big raise in 18/19 ( as Reinhart likely get at the same time). Combine that with raises girgs, Zads, and Risto get and others.

Come 18/19 it's likely this team is near the cap , so cap dead space will hurt.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Don't want him

That buyout is not reasonable. Why did they buy out Ehrhoff? Because they didn't want dead space on the cap in 18/19 and beyond.

Why...if they get McEichel...he gets a big raise in 18/19 ( as Reinhart likely get at the same time). Combine that with raises girgs, Zads, and Risto get and others.

Come 18/19 it's likely this team is near the cap , so cap dead space will hurt.

This. Sabres will be a cap team in the near future, they dont need dead cap space haunting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad