Roster Speculation: 2014-2015 Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Hodgson should stay...As he continues to get stronger he will be able to protect the puck better and so long as we can pair him with a sniper I can see him putting up 60 - 70 points a season. To me you keep him as once this team starts to fill out he will be a very dangerous second line player.

I also think the defensive liabilities he has been known for will be gone from his game over the next two years. Cody is a smart kid, he will learn and adjust his game accordingly.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Bringing back Steve Ott for the third line C spot is my first choice.

But what about the idea of Dave Bolland as a plan B for the 3rd line C job? Injury prone, yes. But when he plays, he's a tremendous player who does a lot of little things that help you win. Not to mention he's a playoff player and a good leader for a younger team.

He's looking for around 5 million per season. With Buffalo needing to add payroll to be above the floor, it could be a win-win. 3 years/15 million?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No matter how you cut it we do not have anyone we can call a first line forward. We have some forwards who have shown from time to time that they are deserving of second line status--Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart-assuming you want someone on the second line who has shown the potential of 25-30 goals and maybe 60 points. We have a bunch of hopefuls with energy and a bit of offensive talent but not likely to ever get 20 in consecutive years-Girgensons, Foligno, DesLaurier, Larsson. We have a bunch of guys for whom we have high hopes but have not really blown me away after they got selected-Armia, Grigorenko--and guys who have not yet hit the North American pros in whom we place the highest of hopes-Fasching, Possler, Baptiste, Carrier, Compher, Bailey, Hurley. If anyone sees first line potential in any of those guys I hope you are right--I do not. They will be fighting with the guys we already have for second and third line duty. Murray MUST find a first line combo that deserves to be called a first line in the NHL and that means at least 2 great players who have speed and offensive flair. Please choose wisely Mr. M.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
No matter how you cut it we do not have anyone we can call a first line forward. We have some forwards who have shown from time to time that they are deserving of second line status--Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart-assuming you want someone on the second line who has shown the potential of 25-30 goals and maybe 60 points. We have a bunch of hopefuls with energy and a bit of offensive talent but not likely to ever get 20 in consecutive years-Girgensons, Foligno, DesLaurier, Larsson. We have a bunch of guys for whom we have high hopes but have not really blown me away after they got selected-Armia, Grigorenko--and guys who have not yet hit the North American pros in whom we place the highest of hopes-Fasching, Possler, Baptiste, Carrier, Compher, Bailey, Hurley. If anyone sees first line potential in any of those guys I hope you are right--I do not. They will be fighting with the guys we already have for second and third line duty. Murray MUST find a first line combo that deserves to be called a first line in the NHL and that means at least 2 great players who have speed and offensive flair. Please choose wisely Mr. M.

Here's your top line:
2014 1st rounder
2015 1st rounder
Isles 1st rounder

I agree with everything you said.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You are completely ignoring the impact of talent on talent.

We currently lack that 1 talent... Maybe we get it in this draft, maybe we get it in 2015, maybe we acquire by other means... But we aren't lacking 3 top line forwards. We are lacking the ONE that gives us 3.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
You are completely ignoring the impact of talent on talent.

We currently lack that 1 talent... Maybe we get it in this draft, maybe we get it in 2015, maybe we acquire by other means... But we aren't lacking 3 top line forwards. We are lacking the ONE that gives us 3.

I agree and disagree with you. There is definitely an overall lack of talent on this team. More talented players will help the other talented players on this team play to their best. What I disagree with you is "the ONE that gives us 3". It would be great to add a talent like Crosby(McDavid?) that makes lesser players look like all-stars. More realistically though we are two or three more offensively skilled players to bring up the other half of our top 6.

This is what makes our future so promising to me. If we can add a McDavid/Eichel to a Sam and Islanders pick we would have the 2-3 top tier offensive players to combine with Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, Armia, Fasching, etc... If you look at a top 9 with those guys and the additions of Girgensons, Larsson, Compher, Baptiste, Hurley, Bailey, etc...we are in great

SO for next season, I don;t think we will have many more parts to our future top 6, but we will see a few cameo appearances or potentially full seasons from some of our future top 9.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I get your point, but you don't group all your 1st line players onto a line. Malkin and Crosby are on different lines, and make anyone they play with effective. That's what Buffalo's after. I think Buffalo has the perfect set of prospects and young players to integrate those top line players.

Assume Buffalo had no first rounders this year or in 2015. Then fast forward to around 2016-2017. Here's Buffalo's possible lines:

Foligno - Ennis - Armia
Hodgson - Grigorenko - Fasching
Deslauciers - Larsson - Compher
Carrier - Schaller/Kea - Bailey/Baptiste/Flynn

Not bad, but not great unless Ennis, Grigorenko, and Hodgson develop into first line talents (which, BTW, is still possible). And the team is hoping a lot of their prospects pan out.

Now, add in the 2014 and 2015 first rounder, and assume Buffalo takes Sam Reinhart and either Eichel or McDavid. Now check out the lines:

Grigorenko - McDavid/Eichel - Armia
Ennis - Reinhart - Hodgson
Foligno - Girgensons - Fasching
Carrier - Larsson - Deslauciers

Switch them up however you'd like. But now the 2nd line talent you mentioned (Ennis, Hodgson) are elevated by elite talent. All the energy players you mentioned are 3rd and 4th lines - which is where most teams put those players.

For the hopefuls you listed, they top out one the 3rd line on the example lines I posted. And players like Compher, Hurley, Baptiste, Bailey, Schaller, Kea, Possler, etc. aren't even in the mix in the lines I put up, so there's built in competition.

Adding in the centers/forwards that Buffalo should get this year and next will completely change the dynamic of the team. If those forwards/centers pan out, everyone's play will be elevated, and everyone will eventually shake out to be on the right line. And with the prospect depth Buffalo has now, 4-6 forwards could not pan out, and the team is still in good shape.

The last time Buffalo had this amount of young depth in the system was right before and around the first lockout, when Regier built the 2005-2007 teams. And this team has way more depth. Not worried and really excited for the future.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NHL buyout window: Where your team stands
Buffalo Sabres Buyouts used: 0

Ville Leino ($4.5-million cap hit until 2016-17) is the posterboy buyout candidate, but former GM Darcy Regier pulled the trigger on forward Nathan Gerbe ($1.45 million cap hit through 2013-14) last season instead. Gerbe’s buyout, however, did not fall under the amnesty category. He signed with the Carolina Hurricanes and scored 31 points; Leino scored no goals this season. New manager Tim Murray said in April there would be “a very good possibility†he buys out Leino now.

Now we just wait for the press release with the headline "Sabres Buyout Ville Leino. Will Commemorate With Burning of #23 Jersey" #Sabres

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Can't burn #23, just change the name plate to Reinhart.

In fact, if Murray picks Reinhart, right there at the podium he should announce Leino's buyout and hand Reinhart #23 instead of #14.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Why even waste a roster spot? the guy is useless except on the penalty kill and I'm sure we have a few better Pests/Grinders/PKer's on the come-up with at least some offensive upside like Justin Kia. Unless he finds game like Clutterbuck, Kaleta won't be in the league very long. He would be better to stay in the AHL and work with Kea there and or others.

You never have to question if Kaleta will show up, he's always working, and desperate to be in the NHL. He'll be 1 of your PKers, dive in front of shots and draw penalties. He's exactly the player I want in the bottom 6 for the next 3 seasons. Which is probably as long as his body will last.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Would Myers for O'Reilly fly?

Moreover, what's Matt Read's value these days.

Only if he has a huge contract dispute and demands to be traded.

Still, I'm not sure why he would want to leave. Pretty easy to see COL is going to be a hell of a lot of fun to play on for the next 5 years.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Adding an elite 1st liner will also elevate the other forwards on the team. If we had 2 ppg forwards that would alleviate the pressure on Ennis and Hodgson and can let them face 2nd and 3rd pairings instead of the oppositions toughest assignments like this past season. I can see Ennis and Cody being 60 point players if we had 2 elite forwards ahead of them, preferably 3. And I do think there are spots for Cody and Ennis here even when we add Reinhart, hopefully Eichel and another high 1st round forward pick. We are weak on the right side so Hodgson moving to the RW is great, hopefully Ennis is moved to LW and then we can roll with a center core of Eichel-Reinhart-Girgensons and then guys like Ennis, Armia, Hodgson and Grigorenko on the wings along with maybe a Callahan. At the very least we have 2 50 point forwards in Ennis and Hodgson who can play both wing or center. They both are 24 and I think also have some untapped potential. I keep them long term. 45-50 point forwards don't grow on trees. Look at the Kings, I know their style of play relies on a strong two way physical wear you down style but they had only 4 guys with 40+ points. We are in no position to move either Cody or Ennis. Even in 3 years when we are hopefully playoff/cup contenders #19 and #63 can be in the top 9 as secondary scoring options a la the 05-06 team when after a game vs Philly a player remarked that we had 4 #1 lines

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
Go youth

It really is time for a clean sweep. No need to retain Tallinder. I don't want Mitchell, Flynn or any other riff-raff.

Girgensons-Hodgson-Stafford
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stewart
Conacher-Reinhart-Foligno
Larsson-Adam-DesLauriers

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Ristolainen
McCabe-Zadorov

Enroth-Neuvirth

They'll be terrible, but all the young guys will gain incredible experience, and I fully expect them to be quite competitive by the end of the season. BTW, Reinhart is NHL-ready.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
It really is time for a clean sweep. No need to retain Tallinder. I don't want Mitchell, Flynn or any other riff-raff.

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stewart
Larsson-Adam-DesLauriers

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Ristolainen
McCabe-Zadorov

Enroth-Neuvirth

They'll be terrible, but all the young guys will gain incredible experience, and I fully expect them to be quite competitive by the end of the season. BTW, Reinhart is NHL-ready.

:laugh: No riff-raff and you have Luke Adam on the team :laugh:

He's pretty much the definition.

ZeroPT*

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stewart
Larsson-Adam-DesLauriers

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Ristolainen
McCabe-Zadorov

Enroth-Neuvirth

This is how you become the Oilers

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stewart
Larsson-Adam-DesLauriers

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Ristolainen
McCabe-Zadorov

Enroth-Neuvirth

You need more veteran leadership on that team to protect and shelter Reinhart so he can adjust and learn the game without being thrown to the wolves and expected to be a PPG player in his first year.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Ennis-Grigorenko-Stewart
Larsson-Adam-DesLauriers

Myers-Ehrhoff
Pysyk-Ristolainen
McCabe-Zadorov

Enroth-Neuvirth

This is how you become the Oilers

You need more veteran leadership on that team to protect and shelter Reinhart so he can adjust and learn the game without being thrown to the wolves and expected to be a PPG player in his first year.

^ This. There has been some speculation that a 1st round exit for the Kings may prompt some sweeping changes to their core... What would you be willing to give up for Dustin Brown as a veteran presence for our youthful team? Brings the grit and leadership that a guy like Ott or Callahan would with a better offensive upside IMO...

ZeroPT*

^ This. There has been some speculation that a 1st round exit for the Kings may prompt some sweeping changes to their core... What would you be willing to give up for Dustin Brown as a veteran presence for our youthful team? Brings the grit and leadership that a guy like Ott or Callahan would with a better offensive upside IMO...

would cost a lot. I'd rather go after Dwight King or Clifford.
Playoff experience? Check
Heavy? Check
Young enough to last the rebuild? Check
Cheap to acquire? Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad