Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Roster speculation 2014-15

Seeing how the 2013-14 season is over for Buffalo, I thought it was time to create the new thread for next season. There's two ways for Murray to go with the roster.

One route is to keep some promising rookies in junior or Rochester as long as possible, and sign vets to fill in for one season in order to get the rookies as ready as possible for an eventual roster spot as well as finishing near last for draft purposes. That would mean seeing less of Ristolainen, Pysyk, and McCabe until they get close to or become waiver eligible.

The other route is believing that some of the rookies are ready now, that the best move for them is with the big club, and a willingness to have them learn on the fly. That would mean seeing more of Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, 2014 1st rd pick, and maybe Grigorenko at the first sight of consistency. I doubt this happens, although Ristolainen and Pysyk will most likely see a lot of games.

I would rather be patient to a fault and t--k one more year, and have a roster on opening night close to this...

Conacher-Hodgson/Reinhart-Stewart/Hodgson (Conacher on a 1 yr deal, if Stewart is traded in the summer sign Gionta)
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford (trade Stafford at TDL or sooner, call up Armia)
Larsson-Girgensons-Flynn
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Kaleta
Ellis

If Reinhart is drafted he could/should make the team and push Hodgson to RW. Maybe still sign a UFA and let Conacher walk.

Ehrhoff-Myers
Tallinder-Pysyk/Ristolainen (Tallinder on a 1 yr deal, the rookies split time until Pysyk is waiver eligible and stays up)
Weber-McBain (McBain on a 1-2 yr deal and can be traded at TDL, then call up Ristolainen for good)
Ruhwedel

Tallinder could be traded at TDL if he wants to go to a contender for one last shot, then call up McCabe.

Enroth
Neuvirth (trade at some point and call up Hackett or whoever is healthy)

I don't think there's a need or a good reason to sign more than one new UFA, on a short-term deal for cap purposes only. Otherwise I don't want to force rookies into too much ice-time or responsibility unless they show to be totally ready for it. I think that roster can be better, but not good enough to risk losing a top three draft slot. Then 2015-16 will be time for prospects to break in and to finally try and move up in the standings.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'd like to see enough mediocre vets brought in that we don't HAVE to promote anyone from the farm or juniors.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I think there will be several off season moves. This team is so bad that we can make several moves and still get a high pick next draft. I think they will do what they can to bring in Callahan even if that means 6 mil for 6 years. Rumor was that Buffalo is willing to pay his asking price and TM said he will try to land a couple leaders in FA this year. He might as well said Callahans name while describing the type of player he is after. I believe he moves a Dman for a top forward. I hope it is Ehrhoff but it could be Myers. Since it doesn't look like we will get NYI pick this year, my guess is TM makes a move to get another top end pick, that would probably involve Myers or Ehrhoff trade.
Remember we have no Miller, Vanek or Moulson for any of the season. Miller pretty much won a bunch of games for us this year. It would have been even worse without him.

? New guy/Ennis/Stafford
Stewart/Reinhart(or Bennett)/Hodgson
Foligno/Girgensens/Callahan
Flynn/Mitchel/Kaleta

Tallinder/Myers
Zad/Risto
Weber/Pysyk
McBain

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Whoever we draft shouldn't be thrown to the wolves. Start on the 3rd line, move up as merited during the season. Breaking Reinhart/Bennett in on the wing may not be a bad idea either--it's certainly worked for Girgensons.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Whoever we draft shouldn't be thrown to the wolves. Start on the 3rd line, move up as merited during the season. Breaking Reinhart/Bennett in on the wing may not be a bad idea either--it's certainly worked for Girgensons.

I think we can count on..whoever we draft this year to be back in Juniors ..based on Murrays recent comments.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Buyout Leino.

Sign a vet or two: Gionta, Stempniak, Ott, Tallinder, Jagr

Trade for a vet (some possibly negative trade value):
Briere
E. Cole
Booth
Kotalik (joking)

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

No, no, no, send them back to juniors and let them succeed. Put all the kids on the Amerks and call them up for a taste every now and again. Let them develop together. Sign several veteran guys to get us through the season and start putting it all together in 2015-16.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
One route is to keep some promising rookies in junior or Rochester as long as possible, and sign vets to fill in for one season in order to get the rookies as ready as possible for an eventual roster spot as well as finishing near last for draft purposes. That would mean seeing less of Ristolainen, Pysyk, and McCabe until they get close to or become waiver eligible.

Maybe McCabe could use some seasoning in AHL but Pysyk and Ristolainen proved they are NHL-ready. Keeping them down in Rochester makes no sense IMO.

If Reinhart is drafted he could/should make the team.

Whoever we draft shouldn't be thrown to the wolves.

I think we can count on..whoever we draft this year to be back in Juniors ..based on Murrays recent comments.

I'd just about guarantee that everyone we draft will be in Juniors, or AHL(if eligible)

Agreed - I think Murray and Nolan both were clear that a) they don't think whomever they draft will help their offensive problems next season, meaning they'll be back in juniors; and b) kids will have to earn spots.

I think they will do what they can to bring in Callahan even if that means 6 mil for 6 years. Rumor was that Buffalo is willing to pay his asking price and TM said he will try to land a couple leaders in FA this year. He might as well said Callahans name while describing the type of player he is after

I'm in the minority who would love to see Callahan be signed - but I just don't have much optimism he'd consider the Sabres, even if they empty the vault for him.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Do you think some pressure is off to put our first pick in the NHL this year now that we're picking 2nd instead of 1st? Sound dumb, but #1 overall almost always goes right to the NHL.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Maybe McCabe could use some seasoning in AHL but Pysyk and Ristolainen proved they are NHL-ready. Keeping them down in Rochester makes no sense IMO.

Agreed - I think Murray and Nolan both were clear that a) they don't think whomever they draft will help their offensive problems next season, meaning they'll be back in juniors; and b) kids will have to earn spots.

I suggest easing Risto and Pysyk in, and therefore re-signing McPain, in order to help tank and get a better trade value from McPain later in the season. Maybe he can be traded for the same value in the summer as an RFA, and maybe Risto and Pysyk won't make as much difference for the tank, but do you feel they have nothing left to gain from top minutes in Rochester?

Reinhart is the only draft pick I think would have a legit shot at making the roster (unless a trade opened up a D spot for Ekblad), but I also wouldn't mind if Murray kept him in junior another year.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Do you think some pressure is off to put our first pick in the NHL this year now that we're picking 2nd instead of 1st? Sound dumb, but #1 overall almost always goes right to the NHL.

It doesn't sound dumb, but 1) Buffalo has no pressure to be good next season and 2) Murray (I mean you) wouldn't cave to pressure anyway.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
It doesn't sound dumb, but 1) Buffalo has no pressure to be good next season and 2) Murray (I mean you) wouldn't cave to pressure anyway.

I bet it would put some pressure on the kid though. (the #1 overall I mean) I think it would be normal for the kid to feel something about being one of the only #1s to go back to juniors.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I made this comment the night we lost the lottery. Yeah, I think there's a bunch of pressure off both the pick himself and off of Murray.

It's far more common for a 2nd overall pick to go back to juniors than it is for a 1st overall pick. The last 1st overall pick to "go back" was EJ back in 06 (he went to U of Minnesota).....and I have no idea who the last #1 overall forward was to go back.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
No, no, no, send them back to juniors and let them succeed. Put all the kids on the Amerks and call them up for a taste every now and again. Let them develop together. Sign several veteran guys to get us through the season and start putting it all together in 2015-16.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I suggest easing Risto and Pysyk in, and therefore re-signing McPain, in order to help tank and get a better trade value from McPain later in the season.

As many have noted, Murray doesn't seem to beat around the bushes or pull punches in what he says - I take what he said this past week about 1) not wanting to lose or tank; and 2) young players won't be gifted roster spots UNLESS they earn it as exactly how he wants to proceed.

As such, I can't see McBain having a superior training camp to the younger defensemen even if the Sabres do re-sign him.

but do you feel they have nothing left to gain from top minutes in Rochester?

Yes, I do. Ristolainen already played against men in Finland and apparently showed that in the AHL while Pysyk's defensive game is NHL-ready. Management only wants him to expand his offensive instincts, which may be easier in a less-pressured situation of AHL play but not enough of a reason to keep him out of the NHL.

Reinhart is the only draft pick I think would have a legit shot at making the roster (unless a trade opened up a D spot for Ekblad), but I also wouldn't mind if Murray kept him in junior another year.

I think Murray/Nolan will choose Bennett over Reinhart, just based on the scouting reports on the two centers' styles of play.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think Murray/Nolan will choose Bennett over Reinhart, just based on the scouting reports on the two centers' styles of play.
Bennett scares me, I think he's going to have an injury riddled career due to his style of play. I think Reinhart will go on with a Toews like career but I could be wrong, its merely speculation.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought TM stated that Ekblad would go back to Juniors if the Sabres drafted him.

Last edited:

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Ennis - Hodgson - Stafford
Foligno - Reinhart - Stewart
Girgensons - Larsson - Mitchell
Flynn - Ellis - Kaleta

Ehrhoff - Pysyk
Tallinder - Myers
Weber - McBain

Neuvirth
Enroth

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I thought TM stated that Ekblad would go back to Juniors if the Sabres drafted him.

Not quite...he said that no roster spots would be handed out to anyone. So, any player we draft will have to earn their spot on the roster...they will not be "given" a spot simply because they were selected 2nd overall in the draft. Murray is not afraid to send a top pick back down to juniors if necessary.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Bennett scares me, I think he's going to have an injury riddled career due to his style of play. I think Reinhart will go on with a Toews like career but I could be wrong, its merely speculation.

This thought scares me as well and is one of the reasons I favor Reinhart. What I've watched of SR, he doesn't seek contact, but won't shy away from it and is stellar at avoiding it with the puck on his blade. Bennett seems fearless with contact, which seems to add an element of risk to picking him. Plus, I think we have enough beef in the pipeline where physicality may not be as high a priority criterion in this selection.

This pick is utterly vital to the rebuild. Gotta get it right, and whoever we take has to stay healthy. I personally have more faith in Reinhart to do so than Bennett.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
In terms of FA signings I expect us to target good character 3rd and 4th line players...One such guy I think would be a great fit on the 4th line would be Manny Malhotra.

If Vancouver does not re-sign Mike Santorelli I suggest looking at him as well. The kid was the straw that stirred Vancouver's drink for the first quarter of the season. He is versatile and can move up and down the roster as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad