Roster Speculation: 2014-2015 Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This question doesn't belong here but why in the blue hell Buffalo bought out Gerbe last year? He's awesome. And did Jeanneret retire?

It was clearly a mistake. Why use a compliance buyout on a player with such a small amount of money and such a short term? Having an additional buyout would be very helpful, especially since we know Murray is attempting to "buy" another 1st rounder. Hard to excuse Regier's short-sightedness on that one. Playing with better players could have really given him a boost, as he was easy to overlook playing on the 4th line always.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
It was clearly a mistake. Why use a compliance buyout on a player with such a small amount of money and such a short term? Having an additional buyout would be very helpful, especially since we know Murray is attempting to "buy" another 1st rounder. Hard to excuse Regier's short-sightedness on that one. Playing with better players could have really given him a boost, as he was easy to overlook playing on the 4th line always.

They didn't use a compliance one on Gerbe.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This question doesn't belong here but why in the blue hell Buffalo bought out Gerbe last year? He's awesome.

Because he *****ed and moaned about ice time instead of going out there and earning it... getting bought out taught him a good lesson, and I'm glad to see him doing well.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Anyone interested?

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Pending UFA Ryan Callahan is still talking to TB about a new deal but no one will be surprised if he goes to UFA on July 1. #TSN

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Anyone interested?

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Pending UFA Ryan Callahan is still talking to TB about a new deal but no one will be surprised if he goes to UFA on July 1. #TSN

If he hits the market I wouldn't mind grabbing him. Just don't want to waste any assets acquiring him if we can get him for 'free.'

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Anyone interested?

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Personally, I think the Sabres and him are a good fit. However, Murray's comments about getting players to get to the cap floor, players production drop off after 30, etc, really points to the Sabres not going after any of the big fish in the UFA market.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
All along I have wanted Callahan to lead the way for the young kids. I would have even over paid in the first couple years of the deal, maybe a six year deal at 7,7, 6.5, 6.5, 6, 6. Now I would much prefer to give that money to ROR and I would give up some nice assets to do that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This question doesn't belong here but why in the blue hell Buffalo bought out Gerbe last year? He's awesome. And did Jeanneret retire?

Secnd question...he will in a few years with a successor in place. I think Jennerett works some games till he hits year 50.

As for Gerbe being buy out....

Look at buffalo long term LW depth chart at the time for a player that needed to be in a top 2 position to be successful.

When they bought him out you had Vanek, Foligno, Girgenson all were ahead of hm.

They bought him out before his birthday where he only cost 1/3 the amount.

You could not use a CBO on Gerbe since he made less than the $2.75M min AAV for a CBO.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
All along I have wanted Callahan to lead the way for the young kids. I would have even over paid in the first couple years of the deal, maybe a six year deal at 7,7, 6.5, 6.5, 6, 6. Now I would much prefer to give that money to ROR and I would give up some nice assets to do that.

Too much for my blood.....I would want something shorter. Give him a 3 yr $18M contract with a wink and nod that another 3 yr contract would be done for about $3.0M cap hit.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Too much for my blood.....I would want something shorter. Give him a 3 yr $18M contract with a wink and nod that another 3 yr contract would be done for about $3.0M cap hit.

Between this and your proposed collusion attached to any Ehrhoff trade (i.e., your persistent demand that there be a side agreement for a team to buy him out at some point towards the end of the deal), you clearly don't understand that such agreements contravene league rules, and, if discovered, would bring down the wrath of the league in a manner not seen before in the NHL. If the Joe Smith/T-Wolves under-the-table agreement serves as precedent, the team will be fined several million dollars and we'll lose four 1st round draft picks.

Great idea, professor.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't think alluding to a future re-signing breaks the letter or spirit of the CBA unless made clear to the player that it would be an attempt to violate the CBA

It would just have to be couched on context

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't think alluding to a future re-signing breaks the letter or spirit of the CBA unless made clear to the player that it would be an attempt to violate the CBA

It would just have to be couched on context

You can't have handshake agreements to reach future contracts several years down the road. It's an academic (and moot) conversation, anyways, because neither player nor agent is going to take the three-year deal and risk injury and all the money potentially forfeited by that injury.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
You could not use a CBO on Gerbe since he made less than the $2.75M min AAV for a CBO.

Except that's not true. Dallas is using a CBO (per Bob McKenzie) on Aaron Rome with his 1.5M AAV, and Capgeek has already updated it as such.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
That minimum salary restriction only applies to buy-outs outside of the regular buy-out period (i.e. the second buy-out window available to teams that have arbitration hearings). Compliance buy-outs can only be exercised during the regular buy-out period.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
You can't have an entire team under 25 sure, but I don't see why Thornton makes sense for Buffalo at all. Is he really the sort of "veteran leadership" you want to bring in? The team needs bodies for the bottom six, but I'd prefer them bring in guys that are younger than 35 and can actually play hockey

QUACK ATTACK

Nov 2, 2008
I'm waiting to see who's left after the first few days of free agency. We're not going to be any good so there's no need to spend top dollar and give ridiculous term to these free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad