Roster Speculation: 2014-2015 Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought TM stated that Ekblad would go back to Juniors if the Sabres drafted him.

He did. But he also said any youngsters will need to earn a spot on the roster. I'm also positive that where they would develop best will be factored in as well.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
With the recent news that Armia may be "homesick", I wanted to project (in my mind) the Sabres roster two years from now. I was not surprised to look back and notice that I did not even consider Armia or Grigorenko on the roster.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With the recent news that Armia may be "homesick", I wanted to project (in my mind) the Sabres roster two years from now. I was not surprised to look back and notice that I did not even consider Armia or Grigorenko on the roster.

That news has been debunked by a Finnish poster. And not sure why you've given up on Grigs. Every report I've seen has been a positive. He's been working hard and has a positive attitude.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
It doesn't sound dumb, but 1) Buffalo has no pressure to be good next season and 2) Murray (I mean you) wouldn't cave to pressure anyway.

I think Tampa sending Drouin back this past year also helps set a precedent for a high pick going back to juniors. A lot easier to tell a kid "hey look what it did for another highly touted, high draft pick."

At the same time though, if a kid is good enough to play, then they shouldn't send the kid down just for the sake of sending him down. I really think they should give whoever they pick the 9 games and then make a decision.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
That news has been debunked by a Finnish poster. And not sure why you've given up on Grigs. Every report I've seen has been a positive. He's been working hard and has a positive attitude.

I haven't given up on Grigorenko. I was just surprised to find that I didn't even consider him when I first went through the Sabres' roster.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hoppe debunked that Armia speculation too.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ristolainen could use another half season or so in the AHL IMO. He's strong enough to play in the NHL but he had a terrible time tracking the puck around the net. I noticed it in a lot of the goals against in Rochester as well. Risto facing the wrong way scrambling to find where the play was going on. Although I guess this is something the coaching staff would need to work on him with during training camp he could still use some more time in the AHL.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ristolainen could use another half season or so in the AHL IMO. He's strong enough to play in the NHL but he had a terrible time tracking the puck around the net. I noticed it in a lot of the goals against in Rochester as well. Risto facing the wrong way scrambling to find where the play was going on. Although I guess this is something the coaching staff would need to work on him with during training camp he could still use some more time in the AHL.

He does get lost in his end sometimes. The good thing is I don't think it's due to being overwhelmed, because he plays a composed game. He just needs to be coached up a bit, hopefully we get some better coaches in Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He does get lost in his end sometimes. The good thing is I don't think it's due to being overwhelmed, because he plays a composed game. He just needs to be coached up a bit, hopefully we get some better coaches in Rochester.

I agree with both of you. I wonder if Risto goes to Rochester and gets the Pysyk treatment. As in he is handed the team as the #1 dman and gets heavy minutes to see what he can do and help him develop his game.

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
We are only halfway through the tank so I don't want to jump the gun playing the youngsters or adding pieces that may result in an extra win or two over the course of the season. There will be room to give some of the forwards a taste of NHL action late in the season and a continual rotation with one or two of the younger D players seeing NHL action mixed in with their time in Rochester.

Hodgson___Girgensons____Stewart
Ennis _____Varone_______ Stafford
Foligno____Veteran UFA___Flynn
Conacher__Konopka_____Mitchell

D rotation__ Erhoff
Tallinder__ Myers
Weber____Mcbain

Neuvirth
Enroth

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Where do we stand on CoHo? Obviously here long term but do any of us have an idea of what kind of player he'll actually become? I'd like to hope he hasn't reached his ceiling yet...he was always looked at as a two-way player coming up from juniors. Hopefully that defense comes around.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
My hope is that Conacher won't be retained.

Why? Worst case scenario: they put him on waivers, he's claimed by another team or he goes to Rochester and becomes a solid player for the Amerks. There's very little risk involved, especially if he takes his QO.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Where do we stand on CoHo? Obviously here long term but do any of us have an idea of what kind of player he'll actually become? I'd like to hope he hasn't reached his ceiling yet...he was always looked at as a two-way player coming up from juniors. Hopefully that defense comes around.

Two or three posters think he's garbage and a waste of a roster spot.

Hundreds of others who have watched him generally think he's a developing player who has improved on areas of his game and needs to improve more. He'll probably never be a solid two way player, or a fast skater. But he'll be close to average defensively and an average skater. IMO he's already a good playmaker with terrific vision.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Let's focus on our middling 4th line players (god knows we have enough) before chopping away at the knee caps that are our better players. No one is calling Hodgson or Ennis a "franchise"/necessary player but scrapping them for parts is not the way to a quicker rebuild. Both of these guys have issues (defense...size) but it seems like some of you are writing them off when either could be a valuable asset to a Cup contender. This season has been tough because it's hard to distinguish whether some players are bad or good on a roster that has so many losses.

This coming season is obviously a "tank" season but it'd be uncharacteristically stupid of Murray to move his top forwards without some meaningful sort of compensation. While he might be building for the future, I'm sure he understands that veterans (and even complimentary pieces) don't necessarily grow on trees.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I agree with both of you. I wonder if Risto goes to Rochester and gets the Pysyk treatment. As in he is handed the team as the #1 dman and gets heavy minutes to see what he can do and help him develop his game.

I have a tough time believing Risto will not push McBain or Weber to the 7th slot; but wouldn't be surprised to see it unfold exactly like you said.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

I don't like him.

Just can't see him being much more than a 50 point guy at his peak. He looked better on the wing as the season ran down and should continue to improve as the people around him mature. Doubtful he gets faster, but he is quick, good first step, good lateral movements, effective in front of the net. He plays the angles defensively very well, as long as he is within a step of the outlet pass. Has a tendency to put the puck where the play should develop without regard of a team mate actually being there. He was often the best forward on the team this season, and as long as he maintains his play, there is no reason to think he won't be here.

In all honesty, he could score 50 goals and I still won't like him.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Top 6 winger. Someone said Pominville 2.0 and I think thats a great comparsion. Having CoHo be the new Pommer would be a great core piece coming out of the rebuild.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Bring in some older guys that holds others accountable, setting a good attitude through yet again a losing season.

Some that has had success before and is willing to help the team and not just get payed. Buy-out Leino, bad influence on the team i guess.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I think he's about hit his ceiling, but everybody on the Sabres last year would have looked better with a supporting cast around them.

55-60 point secondary scoring piece. Which is fine.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I don't like him.

Just can't see him being much more than a 50 point guy at his peak. He looked better on the wing as the season ran down and should continue to improve as the people around him mature. Doubtful he gets faster, but he is quick, good first step, good lateral movements, effective in front of the net. He plays the angles defensively very well, as long as he is within a step of the outlet pass. Has a tendency to put the puck where the play should develop without regard of a team mate actually being there. He was often the best forward on the team this season, and as long as he maintains his play, there is no reason to think he won't be here.

In all honesty, he could score 50 goals and I still won't like him.

Yeah you would. You might not love all facets of his gem, but everyone likes a 50 goal scorer. We don't have any you know. Been about two decades.

Last edited:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Why? Worst case scenario: they put him on waivers, he's claimed by another team or he goes to Rochester and becomes a solid player for the Amerks. There's very little risk involved, especially if he takes his QO.

In short, I just don't think he's a very good hockey player.

He's essentially a third/fourth-line player and I'd rather his roster spot be reserved (poor choice of word perhaps given Nolan/Murray's stance for not handing spots out) for Larsson/Deslauriers or a veteran free agent in the Winnik mold.

Ideally, Buffalo enters the 14-15 season minus Scott, Konopka, Ellis, Leino and Conacher and adds Kaleta, Reinhart, a Winnik-type of FA and, of course, Callahan (unlikely) to its F ranks next year.

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Stewart
Winnik-Reinhart Callahan
Larsson/Deslauriers-Mitchell Kaleta

I suppose Ellis and Konopka can be re-signed, forcing Larsson to Roch for the season.

And Reinhart may not even be an NHLer next year (let alone a Sabre). In which case, fine, I guess you can bring Conacher back (same can be said re: Callahan, obviosuly). I'd prefer defensively responsible bottom-six players to Conacher, though.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
In short, I just don't think he's a very good hockey player.

He's essentially a third/fourth-line player and I'd rather his roster spot be reserved (poor choice of word perhaps given Nolan/Murray's stance for not handing spots out) for Larsson/Deslauriers or a veteran free agent in the Winnik mold.

Ideally, Buffalo enters the 14-15 season minus Scott, Konopka, Ellis, Leino and Conacher and adds Kaleta, Reinhart, a Winnik-type of FA and, of course, Callahan (unlikely) to its F ranks next year.

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Stewart
Winnik-Reinhart Callahan
Larsson/Deslauriers-Mitchell Kaleta

I suppose Ellis and Konopka can be re-signed, forcing Larsson to Roch for the season.

And Reinhart may not even be an NHLer next year (let alone a Sabre). In which case, fine, I guess you can bring Conacher back (same can be said re: Callahan, obviosuly). I'd prefer defensively responsible bottom-six players to Conacher, though.
Why even waste a roster spot? the guy is useless except on the penalty kill and I'm sure we have a few better Pests/Grinders/PKer's on the come-up with at least some offensive upside like Justin Kia. Unless he finds game like Clutterbuck, Kaleta won't be in the league very long. He would be better to stay in the AHL and work with Kea there and or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad