Speculation: Roster Speculation 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Tropp needs to learn to better avoid getting drilled or his career will not last very long. He seems to get hammered at least 4 times a game.

He was ready to drop the gloves against the Leafs on Friday after being hit then realized he still had his face shield on lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Given some of the comments by the new management, I wonder if the Sabres begin targeting younger players in acquisition rather than simply continuing to stockpile heaps of draft picks.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Given some of the comments by the new management, I wonder if the Sabres begin targeting younger players in acquisition rather than simply continuing to stockpile heaps of draft picks.

I certainly hope so. I think we need to. Guys from the last 3-4 drafts who are on deep playoff teams and need a chance to breakout with a rebuilding team (i.e. Buffalo)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

When you say younger players.....are you talking about prospects or younger NHL players who are 25 or younger playing now with the NHL club?

The fact is some teams just wont trade their prospects but they are willing to trade their picks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

If Ott, Moulson, Miller, and Tallinder are all off roster, we are going to have to pick up some salary to hit the floor. I suspect it will be via trade and probably overpaying some mid level UFAs (Bolland and Orpik fit the bill)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Ott, Moulson, Miller, and Tallinder are all off roster, we are going to have to pick up some salary to hit the floor. I suspect it will be via trade and probably overpaying some mid level UFAs (Bolland and Orpik fit the bill)

Derek Roy and his $4M are languishing in St Louis.

:biglaugh:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Barring any setbacks Mike Weber should be cleared sometime today or tomorrow so I'm guessing Zadorov should be back in London shortly.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
‏@BuffaloSabres

Nolan said may be some roster moves soon. A few playing well w/ #Amerks may deserve a shot, want to put people "in a position for success."

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
‏@BuffaloSabres

Nolan said may be some roster moves soon. A few playing well w/ #Amerks may deserve a shot, want to put people "in a position for success."
Adam up possibly Kaleta, Larsson down possibly Girgensons. Would be my guess.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 5m
Nolan, "I didn't realize how young they really were. There's some maneuvering room we can do here,

Nolan, "There's a couple of players going well down there that deserve an opportunity." He doesn't believe in force feeding young players

Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 2m
"Some of these guys haven't matured into their bodies yet.You see good organizations and how they go about it you don't force feed somebody

how you rebuild is important . You can have a few young kids, but not as many as we have."

----------

Sounds like he's referring to Grigs with his comment about guys not yet maturing into their bodies. I bet he goes down to juniors and Adam comes up. Zadorov I bet also goes down once Weber is healthy.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 5m
Nolan, "I didn't realize how young they really were. There's some maneuvering room we can do here,

Nolan, "There's a couple of players going well down there that deserve an opportunity." He doesn't believe in force feeding young players

"Some of these guys haven't matured into their bodies yet.You see good organizations and how they go about it you don't force feed somebody

how you rebuild is important . You can have a few young kids, but not as many as we have."

----------

Sounds like he's referring to Grigs with his comment about guys not yet maturing into their bodies. I bet he goes down to juniors and Adam comes up. Zadorov I bet also goes down once Weber is healthy.

As long as Grigs is sent down with clear instructions and someone from the team is keeping up with him. He needs to know his NHL career is on the line, depending on how hard he works to become a complete player.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@pham1717

@pham1717

"how you rebuild is important . You can have a few young kids, but not as many as we have."

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I imagine Zadorov is back to London, Larsson down to the Amerks, a veteran Amerk (maybe Kaleta or Porter) back up, the darkhorse decisions are Risto and Grigs. I imagine Girgensons and Risto remain with the team and Grigorenko is sent somewhere (maybe Amerks on conditioning or back to Quebec)

So conclusion,

Zadorov --> London OHL
Larsson --> Rochester AHL
Grigorenko --> Quebec QMJHL
Kaleta/Porter --> Buffalo NHL

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I imagine Zadorov is back to London, Larsson down to the Amerks, a veteran Amerk (maybe Kaleta or Porter) back up, the darkhorse decisions are Risto and Grigs. I imagine Girgensons and Risto remain with the team and Grigorenko is sent somewhere (maybe Amerks on conditioning or back to Quebec)

So conclusion,

Zadorov --> London OHL

Porter is just off the injury list. He won't be called up. LaFontaine talked about Kaleta needing to adjust his game...doubt he's called up any time soon.

Can't see what benefit Grigs gets from being back in the Q.

Agree with your Zads and maybe the Larsson to Roch moves.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

So conclusion,

Zadorov --> London OHL

As much as I want to see these guys play, its probably better to have them play big minutes somewhere else.

Let them develop for a year or two, trade some of our excess picks and prospects (which are still valuable) for veterans, and in a couple years its 2005-2006 again.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
As much as I want to see these guys play, its probably better to have them play big minutes somewhere else.

Let them develop for a year or two, trade some of our excess picks and prospects (which are still valuable) for veterans, and in a couple years its 2005-2006 again.

I'll add that Adam might also get recalled. I imagine they want to bring a veteran up though as they are a few players over their veteran limit

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When you say younger players.....are you talking about prospects or younger NHL players who are 25 or younger playing now with the NHL club?

The fact is some teams just wont trade their prospects but they are willing to trade their picks.

Either. And teams that are willing or unwilling to move already drafted assets are out there. It isn't everyone, but taking less in draft-pick value to get a partially finished body certainly fits more with the idea of building.

Don't forget the possibility of a CBO on Leino. :laugh:

Buffalo could be marketing their available cap space, relativley deep pockets and essentially barter futures for other teams' cap dumps. 16 teams have less than a million in available cap space as of today. 10 are over, living on LTIR for now. That's a lot of opportunity to pick up a piece here or there either cheaply or freely.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad to hear some rational, logical thought coming out about moving players back to places to continue to grow their game.

To echo the other's comments: I would expect Grigorenko, Zadorov, and maybe Larsson get re-assigned in the next day.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Glad to hear some rational, logical thought coming out about moving players back to places to continue to grow their game.

To echo the other's comments: I would expect Grigorenko, Zadorov, and maybe Larsson get re-assigned in the next day.

@CraigJButton

Following up on Ted Nolan's commentary. It's about setting players up to succeed in the NHL not just to be a player in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad