Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Lehner is a problem for this team if they want to get value. Trading a first for Lehner no one will give us a first back. Maybe packaging him in a deal would be best. Teams like Carolina need a goalie and they are loaded on defence. Can we sucker someone to bite?

Lehner(25% retained) + 2019 3rd for McKeown

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Lehner has negative value, nobody wants to pay 4.5 million for that
I don't think so with a .920 save percentage last year and a .908 this year someone who needs a goalie will bite. .908 is not great but .920 is top 15.

I think his value is a 2nd. Its also possible to retain some salary to make it more attractive.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not sure how much value Lehner has these days. We should make a decision well before we have to qualify him, though. My guess is he signs that qualifying offer the minute its tendered.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
A few weeks ago I got roasted for suggesting ROR for Towes.....

Maybe I looked at the wrong Blackhawk, how about Patrick Kane????

I've been deadest against it because of the immaturity, especially coming home with his homies but he's 29 now, he's had to grow up.

At this point now, we need a culture change, winner and a winger for Eichel. How motivated do you think Kane would be to bring a Championship to Buffalo. He's lived the Buffalo curse.

ROR get's them younger, saves $3mil in cap space and let's face it a change up on their team.

For Buffalo, it def changes the room, brings in a Playoff MVP/3 time Cup Champ and gives Eichel a finisher.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nah. Carlson or Tavares are game changers.

The vast majority of long term & big money UFA signings see their contracts become anchors long before they expire.

One of the biggest issues with the Sabres are contracts like Moulson and Okposo which are UFA signings gone bad.

To get premier UFAs to sign with a team that has finished DFL in three of the past five seasons, you will have to vastly overpay for their services.

No thank you.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A few weeks ago I got roasted for suggesting ROR for Towes.....

Maybe I looked at the wrong Blackhawk, how about Patrick Kane????

I've been deadest against it because of the immaturity, especially coming home with his homies but he's 29 now, he's had to grow up.

At this point now, we need a culture change, winner and a winger for Eichel. How motivated do you think Kane would be to bring a Championship to Buffalo. He's lived the Buffalo curse.

ROR get's them younger, saves $3mil in cap space and let's face it a change up on their team.

For Buffalo, it def changes the room, brings in a Playoff MVP/3 time Cup Champ and gives Eichel a finisher.

Both Toews and Kane have NMCs.

I can't see either guy waiving to come to the team that has finished in the basement three of the past five seasons.

Reactions: kummelweck

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Lehner is a problem for this team if they want to get value. Trading a first for Lehner no one will give us a first back. Maybe packaging him in a deal would be best. Teams like Carolina need a goalie and they are loaded on defence. Can we sucker someone to bite?

Lehner(25% retained) + 2019 3rd for McKeown

Botterill should just walk away from Lehner and not qualify him. There's been a lot of talk about Ullmark being given the opportunity to win the #1 and having him in the mix is not good for the locker room if that's the case. He will be resentful. Not qualifying Lehner may actually be what's best for him as well. He can find a team and get his career back on track.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm on the fence with the idea of trading ROR, considering he's the most likely "core" player to be moved.

He's not the leader this team needed and he has enough value around the league to bring back some real pieces. Ideally D from one of those teams with an embarassment of riches in the backend but need some help in the 1C category... maybe a pick and a Wilson-esque middle 6 winger (or better, I'm bad with value) with speed and smarts too. It could help our depth situation a lot.

I mean... Eichel is Eichel. Sam coming into his own is huge. Mitzy is showing promise this year. Maybe our center situation isn't so dire without ROR. If we can bring in some legit defense and winger help either from the ROR trade, our top-4 1st rounder this year, other offseason moves, or all of them... it could boost the Eichel-Reinhart-Mittelstadt center spine to something special even as soon as next year.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Both Toews and Kane have NMCs.

I can't see either guy waiving to come to the team that has finished in the basement three of the past five seasons.

I think CHI is going to give it one more try this year. I got the impression the clock is ticking on Bowman/Queneville. If CHI is going to rebuild again after 2018/19, both Kane and Toews would need to ask themselves if they want to be part of that. I could see both wanting the notoriety of playing for only one NHL team, but both have quite a few miles left and may agree to a move to another club.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
But that's the beauty of Kane, he's the one who probably would wave to come to Buffalo.

Are you 100% certain of that. I say it's less than 50/50. I'd say 35%/65% that he'd not waive. That's just my opinion in the matter. He loves Chicago, has won three cups in the city and is their heart and soul along with Toews. It would take more than one terrible season to ship him out. They've just ended a decade in the playoffs. People, he's not moving out. lol

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I know fantasy land but.....

We win the lottery, land Dahlin. Dynamic #1 defenseman. Every player in the NHL now knows going into the draft he's ours. Don't you think Botts could convince a couple guys like R Nash and Patyrne that we are on the cusp during the week leading up to July 1st????????

July 1st we have Risto, Scandella, McCabe, Neilson, Antipin, Guhle and Dahlin all signed. Botts calls Mr Bowman up, hey Mr Canisius High Grad, we'd love to bring a Buffalo boy home to play with Eichel, I'm offering to get you younger, solidify you down the middle with a Canadian team guy and save you cap dollars!!!!!!

I'd believe 90% of us on this board were born and raised in Buffalo, so the thought of Kane wanting to bring his swagger back home to win Buffalo's first Championship....well, I could see it.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Are you 100% certain of that. I say it's less than 50/50. I'd say 35%/65% that he'd not waive. That's just my opinion in the matter. He loves Chicago, has won three cups in the city and is their heart and soul along with Toews. It would take more than one terrible season to ship him out. They've just ended a decade in the playoffs. People, he's not moving out. lol

Why the Sabres need a guy like him.....

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Why the Sabres need a guy like him.....

More so the reason they won't be traded or even mentioned as being "on the market". I mean the overpayment for a player entering their year 30-31 season would be astounding. If we were able to get them to take Okposo for salary retention and he waived. Perhaps, but holy hell I'm fine with one 10M dollar player on the roster. TY!

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
If we could get something like Aho and Hanifin from Carolina, then I'm on board with a ROR trade...otherwise I'm keeping him

Reactions: Chainshot

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
From everything I've heard, it sounds like P. Kane might be a rough choice from a character/professionalism perspective... not to mention the cap implications and his age... but you can't deny the guy probably wouldn't put up with losing like basically everyone on team does. After a decade of winning in Chicago. We could certainly use that.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Sounds like Bruins fans are souring on Torey Krug, I wonder if he could be had relatively affordably? Nearly 60 points this year, we have no one on the blueline roster who can come close to touching that kind of production.
He'd be a phenomenal partner for Risto, but I can't imagine why in the world the Bruins would move him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad