Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Since Nylander didn't have a chance to show what he can do in camp I suspect he's going to have to show it in Rochester first. I think (read: hope) the days of experimenting to see if a player is ready by just trial and error are behind us now.

As for bailey/baptiste, no reason to pull the plug until you need the contract spots for better prospects/players. My guess is worst case they'll be worth keeping around for 2 more years at which point they'll both likely have reached the requirements to be considered an AHL vet and the decision will need to be made to keep them counting towards one of the limited AHL vet slots or let go for better options. If neither breaks out this year, they'll both sign their 1 year QO after this season.
If he lights it up in the AHL, I gotta think that he's going to get a look here. He has alot of work to do to get to that point though.
I'm happy for Griffith that he has earned his spot on the roster, but how frustrating is it that after 3 years of development nobody out of Baptiste, Bailey, or Fasching made the roster. Glad we have Mittelstadt and Nylander in the pipeline, and there's even still questions surrounding Nylander.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When do we think Housley is going to name the C & A's??

Based off of this, it could be a while...

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-decision-makers-still-discussing-vacant-captaincy/

It’s starting to look like the Sabres will begin the season without a captain.

Sabres coach Phil Housley said this morning, three days before the season opener, no announcement is set for “the immediate future.”

“We’re still evaluating that part of who’s going to wear a letter,” Housley said inside KeyBank Center. “We have a good leadership group in there. That’s something that the coaches will be talking (about) today and tomorrow.”

Instead of using a temporary captain during the preseason, Housley used three alternates each game, giving several players, including third-year center Jack Eichel, an ‘A.’

The Sabres didn’t re-sign former captain Brian Gionta.

One theory has the Sabres waiting a year to name a new captain and giving it to Eichel then.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If he lights it up in the AHL, I gotta think that he's going to get a look here. He has alot of work to do to get to that point though.
I'm happy for Griffith that he has earned his spot on the roster, but how frustrating is it that after 3 years of development nobody out of Baptiste, Bailey, or Fasching made the roster. Glad we have Mittelstadt and Nylander in the pipeline, and there's even still questions surrounding Nylander.

I think Pouliot, Josefson, and Nolan on 1 yr contracts are Botts' way of keeping 'equal play' up in the roster while forcing prospects down, even if they weren't far off in NHL play. Although I'm disappointed in Baptiste's and Bailey's showings, Fasching and Smith looked great, but I believe they were sent down quite simply because its what's best for their development. They won't be floundering in the aByslma system anymore down there.

Reactions: dasaybz

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I think Nylander would have to be >ppg through ~30 games in the AHL at a minimum just based on the penguins history of calling up prospects (assuming botts has the same beliefs regarding development).

The reason I'm not too down on Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching is that they've only just missed the blueprint - a lot of non-elite later round prospects that make it follow the formula of 3 years in junior/NCAA followed by AHL and earning the callup half way through the season. For all 3 of them, last year should have been the year at least one of them made it. Given how bad the sabres AND the amerks have been during their development time, I guess my hope is that maybe they're just delayed a bit and not completely ruined.

With Fasching, he was almost following the same path as Guentzel, starting with 3 solid years in the NCAA. Guentzel then went straight to the AHL and only just put up 21g-42pts in 33 games before getting the callup. Fasching on the other hand was rushed straight to the NHL last year when he should have been straight to the AHL per the "roadmap", and then he got injured, so its like last year was a completely lost development year. With Fasching looking the best out of Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching in camp, Botts sending him back seems like a completely conscious decision to get him back on the typical track just 1 year behind. I'd wait to be frustrated with fasching until we see how he looks this year and whether he plays well enough to earn a callup.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Especially with a new system to learn, I'm not surprised at all (or necessarily disappointed) that BBF and Nylander are going to be in Rochester for a while. It won't be until 3 or so months that we can get a good idea of where these guys stand, both in Rochester and the guys in Buffalo. Hopefully by February and March we finally have some success stories to talk about prospect wise(Guhle and Ullmark included).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
One other thing I'd like to point out: Bylsma's system essentially neutered skilled play. It was a zero-chances approach that you'd use on players who you have no confidence in, and it probably did a good job undermining any player's confidence they already had. You aren't going to have skill develop in those types of systems. Even with the guys we have right now I think it'll going to take a good part of the season until they break out of the low confidence approach that set them all back. Players leaving our system all have seemed to look well elsewhere.

Reactions: Dingo44

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He's my #1 on that list, ahead of Rychel and Read. But I have no delusions that we're in the market for a 3rd pairing/spare LHD.

I'd much rather have him instead of the Gorges/Tenny combo. And he'll play a lot with Bogosian hurt (and continue to get hurt).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Nemeth went to COL

We still have Falk and Tennyson likely ahead of Gorges in the chart. It just comes down to whether they'll actually waiver Gorges (or Moulson). Both weren't getting full minutes this morning

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Zolnierczyk is on waivers. Housley and Botts would be familiar. He'd sell jerseys..

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-jake-mccabe-ready-play/

But it appears Sabres defenseman Zach Bogosian, who’s day-to-day with a lower-body injury, won’t play Thursday. Bogosian, however, hasn’t been ruled out. Housley only said he would be reevaluated Wednesday.

Bogosian’s was hurt late in Friday’s exhibition finale.

In other injury news, Sabres defenseman Justin Falk missed today’s session (undisclosed) and is day-to-day, Housley said. Falk will be evaluated Wednesday. He practiced Sunday, the team’s last session before today.

Check back later for more, including defenseman Nathan Beaulieu’s take on playing his old team, the Montreal Canadiens, right away and skating beside Rasmus Ristolainen on the No. 1 pair.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Music to my years, quite possibly I won't have to see Gorges and Moulson skating on the first game. I love our management.

Basically. Would prefer Eichel and Reinhart's line mates to be flipped, but we'll see how it goes.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Looks like Moulson and Gorges are rotating in on the 4th line and 3rd pairing respectively.

Switch Eichel's and Reinhart's wingers and I'm cool with the forwards make-up. The defense obviously will be switched around more.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Looks like Moulson and Gorges are rotating in on the 4th line and 3rd pairing respectively.

If Larsson isn't playing center, I'd much prefer that he switch with Pouliot under these line configurations. Pouliot and Moulson should be fighting for that 12th spot on a nightly basis, imo. Not that either lack effort.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I don't have any complaints about the lines as written on Bove's Twitter.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Especially with a new system to learn, I'm not surprised at all (or necessarily disappointed) that BBF and Nylander are going to be in Rochester for a while. It won't be until 3 or so months that we can get a good idea of where these guys stand, both in Rochester and the guys in Buffalo. Hopefully by February and March we finally have some success stories to talk about prospect wise(Guhle and Ullmark included).
I agree. Actually, I feel it's ideal for all of them in Rochester to be learning a new, up-tempo, 5-man unit system together. Ideally, they will all be on BUF in future, concurrently, replacing the Moulsons/Pouliots/Kanes/ etc., who are on the roster now. In other words, they'll play more together now, and later.

I think they can find people to work at the Sabres store for less than $650k.
Whether on the ice, or behind the cash register, his $650k contract wouldn't count against the cap anyway. :sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->