Roster Speculation 15-16, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It would mean only carrying 22 players, though, and if he's even average, Jake might be the best LHD in the organization.

I'm basing my opinion on Bylsma's stated preference of not carrying eight defensemen, in which case we could see a forward recall. Murray may have other thoughts, though, we'll see.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm basing my opinion on Bylsma's stated preference of not carrying eight defensemen, in which case we could see a forward recall. Murray may have other thoughts, though, we'll see.

Given that we have a damn solid 13 forward core... and the fact that we have rookies and pylons throughout our blue line... maybe they'll stick with 8 D?

What is a 14th forward for? We are already going to be sitting someone who should be playing...

Gorges-Risto
Pysyk-Bogo
McCabe-Franson
x Weber, Cola

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Given that we have a damn solid 13 forward core... and the fact that we have rookies and pylons throughout our blue line... maybe they'll stick with 8 D?

What is a 14th forward for? We are already going to be sitting someone who should be playing...

Gorges-Risto
Pysyk-Bogo
McCabe-Franson
x Weber, Cola

Perfect pairings!

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

11. Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray is of the same mindset. Even with Robin Lehner out, the Sabres have zero need to make a silly trade for a goalie who either costs too much or doesn't really help. Murray said Saturday night he’s going to let Chad Johnson have a run, and the netminder responded with 22 saves in Monday’s 4-2 win over Columbus. What could make this interesting is the readiness of 22-year-old Linus Ullmark. He’s a good prospect coming off double-hip surgery who made 38 saves in his North American debut Saturday for AHL Rochester. If Buffalo decides he’s ready for a look, the goaltending future in Western New York has potential to change.

12. I really don’t like to comment on people’s conditioning, because no one’s done a worse job staying in shape for most of the last 25 years than me. Lehner’s 2014-15 season ended with a concussion, and he was not ready for this year. I did not get the opportunity to discuss this with Murray, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if that contributed to the injury. The Sabres are very excited about hiring Oliver Finlay as director of player performance. Getting Lehner sorted out is a major priority.

I was thinking the same thing regarding Lehner's injury.

Under my understanding Lehner got north of 20 lbs weight during his rehabilitation period. That's a lot of weight for a goalie especially as big as Lehner is. And your joints and other similar body parts just don't adjust as fast to that kind of increase in weight.

I have never been under the assumption that Lehner is the most professional type of guy when it comes to living as a pro athelete and keeping yourself fit. That also means there's tons of potential to realise, if he eventually finds the right mind set.

I know this is getting way ahead, but thinking how invested and high Murray seems to be on Lehner, I wonder what would happen, if in a year or two Lehner really haven't established himself and Ullmark seems to be better and progressing steadily.

Would Murray stay with Lehner "until the end" and trade Ullmark?

Sure, A LOT of things to happen for us to be in a situation like that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think they sent Donavan down to activate Guhle and give him some games.

Are they going to keep 8 on the team for the season---no.

Guhle probably stays till Bogosian is ready or if he hits 9 games first.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Guhle was sent back to his Junior team this morning. Bogo is close to returning to the lineup.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

Guhle already got sent down.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Gorges-Risto
Pysyk-Bogo
McCabe-Franson
x Weber, Cola

legit, not the pairings, not that I dislike the pairings but that I'm giving up early on talking about things that have to filter through disco first, but the sentiment on the forwards, there isn't a collection of forwards that should rotate in and out, we have 4 lines and probably 1 extra forward and there's no need to keep another up who won't play when our defense is almost a polar opposite

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Gorges-Risto
Pysyk-Bogo
McCabe-Franson
x Weber, Cola

I think McCabe will have a lot of games here and Roch - bounced back and forth. Kind of similar what Larsson did last season.

I think those pairings make sense. The only problem is that both McCabe and Franson needs a partner like Pysyk (McCabe is still a bit too volatile).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Under my understanding Lehner got north of 20 lbs weight during his rehabilitation period. That's a lot of weight for a goalie especially as big as Lehner is. And your joints and other similar body parts just don't adjust as fast to that kind of increase in weight.

I have never been under the assumption that Lehner is the most professional type of guy when it comes to living as a pro athelete and keeping yourself fit. That also means there's tons of potential to realise, if he eventually finds the right mind set.

Hopefully his future rehab will give the team a chance to work Lehner's fat a-- back in shape. Would love him to get some games in Rochester first when he is cleared to play.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think McCabe will have a lot of games here and Roch - bounced back and forth. Kind of similar what Larsson did last season.

I think those pairings make sense. The only problem is that both McCabe and Franson needs a partner like Pysyk (McCabe is still a bit too volatile).

I agree.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCabe get a little time here, then get big minutes in Roch, and back here later in the season.

Donovan and Sanguinetti should be enough I90 depth to rotate up and down as needed as #7/8 guys.

Franson is a problem... he desperately needs a higher end defensemen do their best to hide his high end ineptitude. But we have no where near the depth to provide that without putting him on a top pairing, and we are stuck with 4 righties... 3 of whom are our best defensemen (Risto, Bogo, Pysyk).

You can't make a respectable 6, with Franson... and you can't protect McCabe...

Weber-Franson has to be stopped.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I was thinking the same thing regarding Lehner's injury.

I know this is getting way ahead, but thinking how invested and high Murray seems to be on Lehner, I wonder what would happen, if in a year or two Lehner really haven't established himself and Ullmark seems to be better and progressing steadily.

Would Murray stay with Lehner "until the end" and trade Ullmark?

Sure, A LOT of things to happen for us to be in a situation like that.

Well, Murray walked away pretty easily from Neuvirth (not entirely sure why), so I'm hopeful he wouldn't be too smitten over Lehner if it didn't work out.

Really, the thing I hang my hat on is Bylsma has to give Lehner the starts, no matter what Murray wants. Now he's got ten weeks for other guys to step up and Lehner will want eased back in anyways come December. If one of Johnson, Lieuwen or Ullmark is putting up Ws, who knows whether Lehner even gets the chance to be the horse. Or if he does, how short his leash will be if there's another competent option.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Is Mark Pysyk still considered a rookie this year or has he played to many games. 70 going into this year

His Calder eligibility expired after the 2013-14 season, when he played in 44 games. Playing in 25 games in a season is one of the criteria that ends a players rookie status going forward.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I agree.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCabe get a little time here, then get big minutes in Roch, and back here later in the season.

Donovan and Sanguinetti should be enough I90 depth to rotate up and down as needed as #7/8 guys.

Franson is a problem... he desperately needs a higher end defensemen do their best to hide his high end ineptitude. But we have no where near the depth to provide that without putting him on a top pairing, and we are stuck with 4 righties... 3 of whom are our best defensemen (Risto, Bogo, Pysyk).

You can't make a respectable 6, with Franson... and you can't protect McCabe...

Weber-Franson has to be stopped.

Franson + our lack of really good LHD is a real pain in the ass, because Franson has to be protected either by having a really good partner (which we don't have) or giving him easier minutes. But we also need a steady partner for McCabe and that's not something Franson is.

I think Franson would be a little less a problem if we had Risto or Bogo being a lefties.

Gorges - Risto
Bogo (being a lefty) - Franson
McCabe - Pysyk

I think that way Franson might not be a problem.

Or if we just had Sekera instead of Franson. :cry:

Sekera - Bogo
Gorges - Risto
McCabe - Pysyk

Though, Sekera seems to be a bit blasted by Edmonton fans atm, which is pretty surprising.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Bogo reportedly didn't play well on the left at all when tried earlier in his career and he didn't like it either.

Plus, Bylsma has been salivating over Risto (on the left) -Bogo as a top pair since he signed.

Gorges can just play with Franson if you're scared of putting McCabe with him.

The reality is, anything that keeps Cola out of the line-up is a good thing and I think McCabe has already shown as much. Weber isn't as bad as he used to be, and I used to rag on him hard. He can swap in McCabe's minutes if it isn't working.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Bogo reportedly didn't play well on the left at all when tried earlier in his career and he didn't like it either.

Plus, Bylsma has been salivating over Risto (on the left) -Bogo as a top pair since he signed.

Gorges can just play with Franson if you're scared of putting McCabe with him.

The reality is, anything that keeps Cola out of the line-up is a good thing and I think McCabe has already shown as much. Weber isn't as bad as he used to be, and I used to rag on him hard. He can swap in McCabe's minutes if it isn't working.

they tried Risto on the left and it took him almost 2 games to recover from how badly it went

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
while I don't expect Eichel and Kane to ever jell completely, the rewards of getting that tandem rolling are so huge and the expectations for this season so low that I'm actually hopefully Dan keeps them together at least until the all-star break, I'd go as long as the trade deadline

to me Kane just seams like an individual, I think Winnipeg was doing it right keeping him away from the skilled, skill players, in Buffalo however you have a guys like Larsson and Reinhart, and to a lesser extent ROR, who desperately need a shoot first, fast, big-bodied winger to unlock their full potential, still I'm all for trying to force something with Kane and Eichel

if Kane ever learns to look and dish he'll be playing hall of fame worthy hockey, the ice will open up so much for him if players have to be aware of the power move, and the dish and dash, even Crosby is getting D'd up by players knowing that he prefers to dish to his backhand, expanding Kane's ability to utilize his teammates is something we shouldn't give up on during a season we can afford to be performing at sub-optimal levels, he's never going to be a great team guy but really we only need him and Eichel to be able to occupy space without getting into each others way and their talent and incredible physical abilities will elevate the line to the top 3 or 4 in the league

Interesting thoughts there on Kane. I wouldn't hold my breath though that he'll change that much. I'm afraid with him it's pretty much wysiwyg.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A few more thoughts on Chara:

-Left Handed: Check
-Better than Gorges: Check
-Contract doesn't go longer than 3 years: Check

He's a bit long in the tooth, but if we could get him without touching the 2016 picks or top 10 prospects, I'm all for it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
while I don't expect Eichel and Kane to ever jell completely, the rewards of getting that tandem rolling are so huge and the expectations for this season so low that I'm actually hopefully Dan keeps them together at least until the all-star break, I'd go as long as the trade deadline

to me Kane just seams like an individual, I think Winnipeg was doing it right keeping him away from the skilled, skill players, in Buffalo however you have a guys like Larsson and Reinhart, and to a lesser extent ROR, who desperately need a shoot first, fast, big-bodied winger to unlock their full potential, still I'm all for trying to force something with Kane and Eichel

if Kane ever learns to look and dish he'll be playing hall of fame worthy hockey, the ice will open up so much for him if players have to be aware of the power move, and the dish and dash, even Crosby is getting D'd up by players knowing that he prefers to dish to his backhand, expanding Kane's ability to utilize his teammates is something we shouldn't give up on during a season we can afford to be performing at sub-optimal levels, he's never going to be a great team guy but really we only need him and Eichel to be able to occupy space without getting into each others way and their talent and incredible physical abilities will elevate the line to the top 3 or 4 in the league

I think it's extremely unlikely that Kane's vision ever improves. At this age and experience he is who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad