Roster Speculation 15-16, Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Matt Irwin was placed on waivers....

TM could have saved 5 million Pegula bucks thats invested in Franson right there.

Would anyone be opposed to signing Irwin and waiving Franson right now?

Wait, is Irwin the SJ dman that Boston just signed and a lot of posters thought the Sabres should have jumped on? How long did he sign for and how bad has he been to be waived already?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

If he's going to go with O'Reilly on the wing, might as well just put him with Eichel.

Understand the "pairs" idea.

O'Reilly and Eichel
Kane and Reinhart
Larsson and Moulson
Deslauriers and Legwand

Use Girgensons, Foligno, Ennis, McGinn, and Gionta to fit in, get lines going, add defense, add offense, etc.

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
If he's going to go with O'Reilly on the wing, might as well just put him with Eichel.

Understand the "pairs" idea.

O'Reilly and Eichel
Kane and Reinhart
Larsson and Moulson
Deslauriers and Legwand

Use Girgensons, Foligno, Ennis, McGinn, and Gionta to fit in, get lines going, add defense, add offense, etc.

Similar to what I was thinking:

ROR-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Moulson-Larsson-McGinn/Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers

Foligno17

SabresFan since 1971
Jul 2, 2011
Grand Fenwick (NC)
-joshjull

ROR/Girgs/Ennis
Kane/Eichel/Gionta
Moulson/Larsson/Foligno
Des/Legwand/McGinn

Really like that ROR/Girgs/Ennis line.

It looks like Larson is playing well enough to let Bylsma try ROR on the wing. I like Girgs getting a shot at center and that line seems to make sense. If you are stuck with Kane / Eichel as a pair, then the team captain is a good choice to try to coax them into learning to play together. I'm starting to have the feeling that Moulson might be the guy that doesn't fit anymore. Whenever I see him on the ice, I get this "meh" feeling. It's only two games into the season. Let's see what happens.

Looking ahead, what do you guys think happens with the defense when Bogo gets back?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
-joshjull

It looks like Larson is playing well enough to let Bylsma try ROR on the wing. I like Girgs getting a shot at center and that line seems to make sense. If you are stuck with Kane / Eichel as a pair, then the team captain is a good choice to try to coax them into learning to play together. I'm starting to have the feeling that Moulson might be the guy that doesn't fit anymore. Whenever I see him on the ice, I get this "meh" feeling. It's only two games into the season. Let's see what happens.

Looking ahead, what do you guys think happens with the defense when Bogo gets back?

I didn't think Moulson fit after game one. It's not that he's a bad player... all has to do with team construction.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Similar to what I was thinking:

ROR-Eichel-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Moulson-Larsson-McGinn/Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-Deslauriers

I have a harder time fitting in Ennis and Moulson than Girgensons, Foligno, and McGinn.

I'd like to put a space creator and someone who can battle on the boards with both Eichel and Reinhart.

Foligno - Eichel - O'Reilly
Kane - Reinhart - Girgensons

I'd also like the same for Moulson and Larsson, but that leaves McGinn, which leaves no spot for Ennis. If Moulson wasn't with Larsson, it'd be an easier fit.

McGinn - Larsson - Ennis

Which leaves out Moulson.

Edit: could probably switch Larsson and Girgensons with similar effects.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have a harder time fitting in Ennis and Moulson than Girgensons, Foligno, and McGinn.

I'd like to put a space creator and someone who can battle on the boards with both Eichel and Reinhart.

I'd also like the same for Moulson and Larsson, but that leaves McGinn, which leaves no spot for Ennis. If Moulson wasn't with Larsson, it'd be an easier fit.

McGinn - Larsson - Ennis

not to mention it leaves Gionta out as well...

Lassa

Apr 16, 2013
So now we have the O'RGiEn line? Highly inappropriate, can't have that!

(The Orgy in Swedish)

[Sorry about that, I will see myself out]

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

McGinn - Larsson - Ennis

Foligno really struggled to keep up with Kane/Eichel. He killed a few rushes because of his lack of foot speed. He knew were to go and read the plays well. He just couldn't get there in time to keep the play going. He also isn't really a finisher. So getting him the puck in and around the net isn't really something that should be a focus of that line. I don't think he (Foligno) is a good fit at all with Eichel who attacks with speed. Foligno would make more sense with Reinhart of our two young centers.

If you want someone with Eichel that can open up space for him then Girgs is the best option IMO because of his speed. He (Girgs) really sparked that line in the 3rd period of our first game. He used his speed and physical play to open things up for Kane/Eichel. Who then dominated for stretches along with Girgs.

If you're going to put someone that lacks foot speed with Eichel it should be a finisher that gets to the net. Moulson being one that fits the description.

Bylsma had a good idea at the start of camp with his Moulson/Eichel/Girgs line. Its a good blend of complimentary skills. But he is currently obsessed with making Kane/Eichel a thing. So I guess we won't be seeing it any time soon.

Thinking more of the future.

The more I see of Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, etc., the more I don't think Moulson and Ennis fit.

But this the 15-16 roster speculation thread. Those two should be in lineup projections for this year and I don't see Reinhart centering the second line this year either.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I like McGinn here, anyone think he resigns or do you think he's gone by the deadline?

It will be An interesting decision...but you will have to look at him as well as Deslauriers and Foligno.

All are LWs. You have a few kids. If MCGinn is signed then likely Foligno or Deslauriers traded.

I wouldn't be surprised if MCGinn is traded at the deadline.

McGinn - Larsson - Ennis

I would want Moulson-Larsson-Ennis together to see if they could do what they were doing the end of last year.

I agree with the pairs you posted earlier. Eichel/Oreilly, Kane/Reinhart and Ennis/Larsson

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Foligno really struggled to keep up with Kane/Eichel. He killed a few rushes because of his lack of foot speed. He knew were to go and read the plays well. He just couldn't get there in time to keep the play going. He also isn't really a finisher. So getting him the puck in and around the net ins;t really something that should be a focus of that line. Not that FOlgino would get that pass very often on a line with Kane and Eichel. I don't think he (Foligno) is a good fit at all with Eichel who attacks with speed. Foligno would make more sense with Reinhart of our two young centers.

If you want someone with Eichel that can open up space for him then Girgs is the best option IMO because of his speed. He (Girgs) really sparked that line in the 3rd period of our first game. He used his speed and physical play to open things up for Kane/Eichel. Who then dominated for stretches along with Girgs.

If you're going to put someone that lacks foot speed with Eichel it should be a finisher that gets to the net. Moulson being one that fits the description.

Bylsma had a good idea at the start of camp with his Moulson/Eichel/Girgs line. Its a good blend of complimentary skills. But he is currently obsessed with making Kane/Eichel a thing. So I guess we won't be seeing it any time soon.

I agree with all of this.

I'd like to see Moulson-Larsson-Ennis give another go... I know it's unlikely, and it doesn't fit well unless Oreilly is dropped in to the defensive role that Larsson is currently performing...

IF, the MLE line was reunited... how would you handle the other lines?

(ignore the order of the first 3 lines)
Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Kane-Oreilly-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-McGinn
xDes

?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I'd like to see Moulson-Larsson-Ennis give another go... I know it's unlikely, and it doesn't fit well unless Oreilly is dropped in to the defensive role that Larsson is currently performing...

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Kane-Oreilly-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-McGinn
xDes

?

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Kane-O'Reilly-Gionta
Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart
McGinn/Foligno-Legwan-Des

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis
Kane-Oreilly-Reinhart
Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta
Foligno-Legwand-McGinn
xDes

?

My thinking is similar to OkimLom's with Reinhart and Gionta swapped.

Its funny you mentioned ROR possibly in a defensive role. Wasn't that part of the appeal in getting him? That he is an excellent defensive center? I get using Larsson in that role. But the other center Byslma has used in those situation has been Legwand. He hasn't been bad in them but he's not nearly as good as ROR.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We can play with the d-pairs now that Bylsma has yet again changed his mind about something. This time its about having 8 dmen. McCabe has been called up and as far as I know there are no injured dmen outside of Bogo. So thats 8 dmen on the roster

So who is McCabe paired with? I'm guessing Pysyk with Colo paired up with Franson.

Gorges/Risto
McCabe/Psysk
Colo/Franson

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm starting to have the feeling that Moulson might be the guy that doesn't fit anymore. Whenever I see him on the ice, I get this "meh" feeling. It's only two games into the season. Let's see what happens.

It's not just two games for Moulson though - he was the same all of last year too, it's just that Hodgson was around to be the whipping boy. While Hodgson kept the doghouse warm, Moulson floated here 'n there chewing his mouth guard on unearned ice time, cashing in on Ennis's heart and Girgensons/Larsson's drive.

I didn't think Moulson fit after game one. It's not that he's a bad player... all has to do with team construction.

Well, personally I'd say he actually is a "bad" player, at least to the extent of being entirely one-dimensional, but whatever. It's not just all about how the team is constructed, but also the fact that we're talking about a guy who simply had a short prime window (wasn't even an NHL regular until he was 26) and is on the rapid down swing. He's never gonna get faster, he's never gonna worry about back checking, he's never gonna stand up for his linemates, he's never gonna develop into a sniper, he's never gonna play his body/size, he's never gonna carry a line, and he's sure never gonna actually drive the offense.

He's just gonna skate - and score when his linemates do the work and he's in the right spot to pick up the balance.

Thinking more of the future. The more I see of Eichel, Reinhart, Kane, etc., the more I don't think Moulson and Ennis fit.

Going forward, as Eichel and Reinhart both get settled/seasoned, I could see there being room for one of Moulson or Ennis, not both.

Me, I'd pick to keep to Ennis. He's got some of Moulson's flaws/weaknesses for sure, but he plays with his heart on the sleeve and if he can learn not to try doing it all himself once he hits the o-zone (maybe he needs linemates he can trust, so he passes more rather than trying to hold onto the puck?), then that speed could be way more of an asset too.

Thing is, aging Moulson has 4 more years with a NTC while Ennis has more trade value. I wouldn't be surprised if Ennis is moved before the end of next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad