Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Original 6 team (yes that matters to some players), MSG (most players have that as their favorite place to play), NYC.
Even if NYR weren’t an original six, most players would prioritize playing there over the adjacent burbanite team.

It is quite humorous how the Southern teams were shamed for years by hockey fans, yet, the younger players are way more interested in playing there, then the retirement home versions of the prior generation.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If you're wealthy, young and have a degree of celebrity, I'm guessing Vegas is an amazing place to live, full of all kind of perks you wouldn't get anywhere else.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The islanders have never been a preferred destination for free agents, and probably never will be. Not even when the new arena was built and the team was within an inch of the Stanley Cup finals did free agents line up to play for them, so Lou decided to keep everyone on the team for eternity instead.

If you're a free agent this summer, taking a look at the Islanders roster, would you really sign there? An aging team on the decline, albeit with some really good players on it. With so little cap room, there is also little hope for a quick turnaround but if you're a top FA looking to win, the Island it's probably not on your list. When free agents choose their destination it's either the money, playing downtown in a super cool city, going home, the climate, or the chance to win. The Islanders cannot really offer any of those.

Last edited:

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
The islanders have never been a preferred destination for free agents, and probably never will be. Not even when the new arena was built and the team was within an inch of the Stanley Cup finals did free agents line up to play for them, so Lou decided to keep everyone on the team for eternity instead.

If you're a free agent this summer, taking a look at the Islanders roster, would you really sign there? An aging team on the decline, albeit with some really good players on it. With so little cap room, there is also little hope for a quick turnaround but if you're a top FA looking to win, the Island it's probably not on your list. When free agents choose their destination it's either the money, playing downtown in a super cool city, going home, the climate, or the chance to win. The Islanders cannot really offer any of those.
cap

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

True enough but where else can you play a Saturday matinee home game and walk next door to catch the late daily double?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I’ve seen Saros, Pastrnak, Nik Backstrom doing ads for GEICO and Dunkin Donuts.

What ad campaigns are any Rags ever involved in?

New York doesn’t care about hockey.
We should lmao

look at how many players this state produces.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But as an Islander fan of the eighties it remains forever in our hearts.

"ooh la la... Sasoon."

Available at Macy's and Bamberger's
I think of those days and how we used to yell Ooh LaLa SO SOON at Phil Esposito after we beat them in the ‘81 playoffs.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Are people really advocating for moving Horvat, Barzal, or Sorokin? We have no secondary scoring on this team. This isn't NHL 24 if you start moving major team pieces who recently resigned it sends a message to the rest of the league to not come here. It's taken a long time to wash the damage Milbury and Snow did to the reputation of the team (and it's still not all gone yet)...why set that back?
Thank you....spot on!

Reactions: Lek and Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

MLB free agents sign in Colorado even after all the shit they pull

I tell the NHL players that you come here, and you get the best fans who give a shit compared to the Floridians who won't care even if you play well. I want the islanders to be a fun team again. You wanna sell them on us? Sell them on the players, the arena, the fans, and how the locals will love you.

Not just this state, but Long Island. Amateur programs on the Island are top notch.
Like its actually absurd how much LI gets snubbed on yet we've been quietly doing well for hockey development. It would be funny if Eiserman falls to us, especially if they keep that 1st. Would be the first real Long Islander on the roster.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Not sure if anyone has caught this, but Brock has not been himself playing on the W.
This is the longest goal drought he has had in a long time. Has anyone else feel this way?
I don't see a move back to C this season and I wonder if we see Nelson moved to play with Barzal to get him going - I think that combo would be stronger. I also believe Roy likes Barzal in the middle and I agree - give Maty more ice.

It looks to me that one of two things will happen with Brock this offseason - LL and Roy will look to acquire and push for a top winger, so Nelson moves back to C, and JGP is moved OR Nelson is moved in a hockey trade for a top 6 winger.

Remove any bias or what you think LL will do -
This is purely a thought experiment -

Which scenario makes this team better?

Scenario A
  • Trade JGP (2 years/5AVV) to Vancouver for Connor Garland (2 years/4.95 AAV)
  • SIGN Marchessault (3 or 4 years for 6 to 7 AAV)
  1. Lee - Barzal - Marchessault
  2. Holmstrom - Horvat - Garland
  3. Engvall - Nelson - Palmieri
  4. Maclean - Cizikas - Fasching
  • Trade JGP (2 years/5AVV) to Vancouver for Connor Garland (2 years/4.95 AAV)
Scenario B
  • Trade Nelson (1 years/6AVV) to the Blues for Pavel Buchnevich(1 year/5.8 AAV)
  1. Buchnevich- Barzal - Palmieri
  2. Lee - Horvat - Marchessault
  3. Engvall - Pageau - Holmstrom
  4. Maclean - Cizikas - Fasching
And is this enough of a change to the F group or do fans want to see more than just a trade and a signing- does it need to be 3 moves?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
On the backend I would pull a Vegas. If FL is not resigning Montour (or can’t), then flip a late pick (FL needs picks) before UFA/draft, then sign him.

Trade Pulock for offense. He’ll net a top 6 forward. Anaheim, OTT, BUF, Seattle will be facing pressure to upgrade their rosters. Resign Reilly and Bortuzzo. Bye, bye Aho or two-way him. Keep Buldoc so he can grow into a role.

Pelech/Montour
Dobson/Romonov
Reilly/Mayfield

Bortuzzo/Buldoc

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yikes. Just looked it up. Looks hideous.
I obviously don't know but I imagine being a pro athlete is like being a very serious graduate student. So much time is spent working or blowing off steam at one grubby hangout spot that the environment doesn't matter much.

The difference is, if course, that they can afford their drinks

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
If this team only had a half decent PK and a decent PP, they'd be well inside the playoff by now. That is actually quite crazy to think about. With little wriggle room in the summer, I'd focus on upgrading the PK first. Let Martin and Clutterbuck walk, and replace them with some real PKers. In terms of cash it should be a wash.

Then I'd look to get rid of Lee, Pageau and Palmieri, if possible. Also Pulock if some team is willing to take on that contract. It would mean a similar contract coming back but maybe look for someone who can give us something different.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
It’s just the taxes and that there’s a perceived “better option in the same area. None of these guys are sending their kids to public schools. Our biggest draws right now are the arena/facility being a little better than other places, our coach being an all time great, and our GM having a long career of doing right by players. Keeping in mind that a 26 year old free agent realistically only saw a couple of seasons of Roy, all three of these probably serve to attract an older player.

Could see Marchessault as an option if he has a good relationship with Roy and Lou pays him till he’s 40.

Reactions: Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad