Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Matt Martin is an Islander next year it will be for one reason only…for MM to play his 1,000th NHL game as an Islander. He’ll be about 40 games short when this season ends.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Really? I’m sorry the fans have their own minds that both players will not be resigned. However, fans are not the GM or coach…so, maybe they want to keep one or two. It’s a highly plausible scenario.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Really? I’m sorry the fans have their own minds that both players will not be resigned. However, fans are not the GM or coach…so, maybe they want to keep one or two. It’s a highly plausible scenario.
This is a bulletin board, Chris. This is what people do.

But since you seem to have the business side of the Isles down pat why don’t you give us your thoughts on your loaded question.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hopefully, there’s more than that, of course.

I’m not a fan of the player, but Zegras is a goner in Anaheim in the summer. Anaheim needs defense. I would trade a late pick for Montour, sign him, then flip Pulock for Zegras.

Zegras and Barzal on the same team would be a gong show, but it gets a better forward up in the top 6 and he’s not making more than his $5.75M any time soon - he’s not even worth that price.
Yeah, Zegras is one to keep an eye on. I got the vibe that it's more likely that he'd be moved at the draft than it was that he would have been moved at the TDL. Highly skilled forward, 23 years old, plays C/LW and fills an immediate and future need. It would be the Romanov move on steroids. I just don't know if there's risk that he could be a flop?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yeah, Zegras is one to keep an eye on. I got the vibe that it's more likely that he'd be moved at the draft than it was that he would have been moved at the TDL. Highly skilled forward, 23 years old, plays C/LW and fills an immediate and future need. It would be the Romanov move on steroids. I just don't know if there's risk that he could be a flop?
Zegras would be an awesome add - we need more players with his level of skill, talent, and speed.

He is young and he needs to learn how to play in the NHL.
There's always going to be a risk, but the reward would be massive.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Nope, just a series question because it could happen. Maybe Roy likes Clutter and wants to keep him.

I will have generous assumptions and give my opinion.

It is very plausible that they could sign them both for one more season each at a lower cap hit.
IMO, I think it is time for the team to move on.
You would hope that both would be signed for less than 1.5 and only for 1 season - also Martin should be signed to be the 13th F.

A case to resign Martin only at a low-cap hit, but not to be regular is the other enforcers in the division - Rempe on the Rangers, Deslauriers on the Flyers, and Wilson on the Caps - they still need someone who can throw down if need be.
Cal still plays hard, but at 37, 1000 games, and now the all-time leader in hits maybe Cal wants to hang them up.

If the team does not make the playoffs, then bringing back the same exact team is NOT a good idea- even if it is a full training camp with Roy.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This is a bulletin board, Chris. This is what people do.

But since you seem to have the business side of the Isles down pat why don’t you give us your thoughts on your loaded question.
And what I proffered is a possible likely scenario.

Never mind, let’s go back to spending time discussing buying out Engvall- that’ll be great.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nope, just a series question because it could happen. Maybe Roy likes Clutter and wants to keep him.
Clutter has actually been effective. You're basically bringing him back at league min to run him into the ground for 50 games so you're not rotating Fasching/Wahlstrom/etc. for 82 games.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
For the Isles to have a successful offseason, to me they have to acquire a strong player via UFA, then trade a marketable player like a Pulock for an upgrade somewhere else. That’s the Vegas Way.

I’m not into Zegras. He got NFL’d in the sense the marketing came at him quick and he’s kinda a one trick pony, talented, sure, but I think you can do better with Pulock’s cap hit for his performance.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Hopefully, there’s more than that, of course.

I’m not a fan of the player, but Zegras is a goner in Anaheim in the summer. Anaheim needs defense. I would trade a late pick for Montour, sign him, then flip Pulock for Zegras.

Zegras and Barzal on the same team would be a gong show, but it gets a better forward up in the top 6 and he’s not making more than his $5.75M any time soon - he’s not even worth that price.
I don't like Zegras. He seems like a very selfish and a "Me" player. Not a fit for us.

Reactions: Potvottier

SI

Feb 16, 2013
For the Isles to have a successful offseason, to me they have to acquire a strong player via UFA, then trade a marketable player like a Pulock for an upgrade somewhere else. That’s the Vegas Way.

I’m not into Zegras. He got NFL’d in the sense the marketing came at him quick and he’s kinda a one trick pony, talented, sure, but I think you can do better with Pulock’s cap hit for his performance.
Pulock is not going to waive his NTC - it is unlikely that happens.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Clutter has actually been effective. You're basically bringing him back at league min to run him into the ground for 50 games so you're not rotating Fasching/Wahlstrom/etc. for 82 games.
I would rather go younger. I think bringing in someone who can throw down - Mattheiu Olivier would be a good Cal replacement; it would have to be a trade of some kind to do that, but I think also signing Trenin would be ideal.
Trenin - Cizikas - Olivier with Maclean and Fasching as the extra F's

Reactions: mm11 and Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i would rather them not keep both and still employ them on the PK. Clutter is fine for a year more. Martin? He's cooked.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Pulock is not going to waive his NTC - it is unlikely that happens.
Are you his agent? Most players waive their NTC, once a team tells they want to trade, they’ll bend - the team just told that player that don’t want them.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Are you his agent? Most players waive their NTC, once a team tells they want to trade, they’ll bend - the team just told that player that don’t want them.
Can LL shop Pulock and then ask him and his agent when he has a deal in place? Sure, but it's very, very unlikely.
Especially, when LL resigned him for 8 years.

It is so difficult for GMs to make trades and hockey trades for that matter and now add in a NTC - its just another hurdle and obstacle. Can it happen? Sure. But, not likely.

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I can see Lou trading the 1st for him akin to the Romanov trade . He's signed for 2 more years at 5.75 then RFA so theres plenty of runway to see how he'd mesh . Lou approved haircut , no-nonsense coach in Roy who dislikes inapropriate goal celebrations and would probably bench him for a missed michigan

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I would rather go younger. I think bringing in someone who can throw down - Mattheiu Olivier would be a good Cal replacement; it would have to be a trade of some kind to do that, but I think also signing Trenin would be ideal.
I think Maclean can be a full time, "cheap" 4th liner and do well there. Not sure about his ability to enforce, but certainly plays with an edge to his game. I would see him as a fulltime, not extra.

like Trenin's, stat line...does he play wing? or just center. Do not watch preds or avs

Reactions: beach and SI

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Didn't Olivier pound rempe as well a few weeks ago? Nice to see history there.

Reactions: beach and SI

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Martin was an ill advised signing 4 years ago and the same goes for Clutter 2 years ago. Since then, and particularly this year, they have both regressed.

How could resigning either of them at any price be a good idea?

Their two roster spots are better filled by younger players on near league minimum contracts. Take a flier on a couple of guys. They might not even be players currently in the organization. No offense to our two warriors but projecting their play into next season tells me that moving on couldn’t be much worse and the ceiling for moves like those I suggested is undoubtedly higher.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Martin was an ill advised signing 4 years ago and the same goes for Clutter 2 years ago. Since then, and particularly this year, they have both regressed.

Their two roster spots are better filled by younger players on near league minimum contracts. Take a flier on a couple of guys. They might not even be players currently in the organization. No offense to our two warriors but projecting their play into next season tells me that moving on couldn’t be much worse and the ceiling for moves like those I suggested is undoubtedly higher.

I agree with you, but keeping one of them for league minimum as the 14th forward is the only scenario in which they should be brought back. I'll be pissed at any other scenario that has them set as a regular or both of them on the roster.

Reactions: SI and Lek

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Spot on.

I agree with you, but keeping one of them for league minimum as the 14th forward is the only scenario in which they should be brought back. I'll be pissed at any other scenario that has them set as a regular or both of them on the roster.
I think there's a visual that bringing one or both of 15 and 17 back keeps the locker room stale and clique-ish. This might be one of the things that can be a turnoff for free agents.

The Yankees had this issue at one time, particularly with their players in their minor league system. Young players would sign elsewhere knowing how difficult it would be to break through and supplant a veteran. I can see the same thing being an issue here by running back the same core over and over again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad